• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

APPEALS COURT SAYS "Release CHL holder lists"

MarlboroLts5150

What's the problem? Why shouldn't people know to whom the government has issued permits to carry firearms?
There shouldn't be a permit process to carry arms in the first place, but since there is all the records should be public just like all the others.

While I agree that there Shouldn't be a permit process....think about this one for a second....just a hypothetical....

Girl and guy going out for awhile, girl finds out guy is an A$$...violent temper...beats her a few times. They break up, he starts stalking her, threats, etc. She moves to a different part of town or different city to get away. At the same time she gets a permit for carrying a handgun, for protection.

And now, the local news decides that Everyone should know just who has a permit, and where they live. Now, a$$hole has her new address. The courts and the news have now possibly put her life in danger.

Now what?......

Thundar

The Oregon Appeals Court has ruled that Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters must release the personal information of all holders of Concealed Handgun Licenses in the county. Sheriff Wintershas fought the issue since the Medford Mail Tribune first demanded release of the information after a Medford school teacher filed suit to carry her concealed handgun. Apparently the news paper doesn't have any problem exposing the identities of all CHL holders.

I'm not sure if this is the last step, I would assume that the Sheriff could file an writ of certori to the Oregon Supreme Court.

We have had the same problem in Virginia. The Virginia Citizens Defence League posted the Names, home addresses, telephone numbers and pictures of the homes of the newspaper people that were doing this crap. They stopped for a while.

Thundar

What's the problem? Why shouldn't people know to whom the government has issued permits to carry firearms?
There shouldn't be a permit process to carry arms in the first place, but since there is all the records should be public just like all the others.

I don't agree kwik, except about the part about not needing a permit to carry.

We have seen this very issue in Virginia. What we have learned is that there are many who are victims of violence and abuse that need to not have their name or address published.

Drivers Licenses are exempted from FOIA in every state. Why can't firearms permits be the same?

TheHossUSMC

How 'bout we find out who the reporters are for the newspapers, and then post their names & addresses, phone numbers, vehicle make/model, license plates (all public information), where their spouses work, what kind of vehicles they drive, etc. Do this on as many boards as possible, including NRA & other GR publications What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Erik.

Here is the staff list if anyone is bored and wants to start. I might myself.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=CONTACT01

Superlite27

Here is the staff list if anyone is bored and wants to start. I might myself.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=CONTACT01

Hmmmmm. Maybe after you get the personal phone numbers and home addresses of the folks listed here......

....you could take up a collection and purchase a FULL PAGE AD in their paper to publish them with a big headline:

THESE PEOPLE WANT TO RELEASE THE ADDRESSES OF HOUSES CONTAINING FIREARMS. DOESN'T THIS MAKE YOU WONDER ABOUT THEIRS?

or something similar.