• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Growth

Kirbinator

imported post

Ok, we're here, we're queer, no... that's someone else's byline. So we have OCDO, and we have Alabama Open Carry, but how do we get the word out to get more people Open Carrying? At this point most of the "gun nuts" have been so beaten up, so stigmatized by the anti-gun people that they either CC or just don't "advertise" that they have a firearm for fear of it making them a target for a later robbery. How do we get the word out and turn the tide on crime? There's 300 million guns in the country (how the hell do they have that statistic anyway?!), and there's almost 400 million people. We're almost at a 1:1 ratio. But the vast majority of people aren't OC like our forefathers did. How do we get the word out?

cowboy67

imported post

I think It has to be done the old fashioned way. Face to face. All this technology is great and all, but until people see it on a daily basis or at least talk about it, then it wont become common place. I knew of OC many years ago and even seen it in the wild wild west of New Mexico way back in the 70's/80's, 1970/80's that is. But it wasn't until this past few months that I really checked into it.

My suggestion...start talking it up with some of the states many news agencies. TV/papers/radio stations. I am not smart enough on the whole OC thing yet to get out and talk to those agencies.Although, I havetalked with a lot of people on the streets about it andasked them to check it out. I also comment on a lot of crime related stories on Opelika Auburn news and promote the website. A few people thanked me and came out to check the site out.

Even though I would not feel comfortable speaking with any of the news agencies, I would be willing to do pretty much what ever needed to help.

AL Ranger

imported post

Mass communication is the only answer to reaching people quickly but which medium would yield the best results. I think it would be billboards but the cost for any endeavor like that would take a little work. I'm sure Dianosis could get something worked out and we would have to chip in to get the thing started. But, where? Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile....where? Personally, I think Montgomery would be the best place to start since we want to get the laws changed. After the billboard plays out there, then switch to B'ham! After that, Huntsville or Mobile! Are you guys ready to chip in and help? As the appointed (?)press secretary for Alabama Open Carry I'm trying to reach some of the news sources in the state, but there is nothing what and when they will print, report, etc. and there is no telling how pro-carry the reports will be. They may start with info from us and start searching high and low for opposing view points. We have to be ready to fight for our rights and our beliefs.

jaiotu

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
Ok, we're here, we're queer, no... that's someone else's byline. So we have OCDO, and we have Alabama Open Carry, but how do we get the word out to get more people Open Carrying? At this point most of the "gun nuts" have been so beaten up, so stigmatized by the anti-gun people that they either CC or just don't "advertise" that they have a firearm for fear of it making them a target for a later robbery. How do we get the word out and turn the tide on crime? There's 300 million guns in the country (how the hell do they have that statistic anyway?!), and there's almost 400 million people. We're almost at a 1:1 ratio. But the vast majority of people aren't OC like our forefathers did. How do we get the word out?
First: Don't assume that people CC because they have been stigmatized. I prefer CC over OC, and there are plenty of good points to be made on both sides of that argument. Most CCers are sympathetic to the idea of OC, even if they don't practice it. CCers should be viewed as allies, not "part of the problem." Don't let YOUR right to OC alienate possible allies who exercise THEIR right CC.

We don't need to pass legislation in AL regarding OC. It's already legal. But... if we could find some brave soul in the State Legislature, we just might be able to get them to pass a "resolution" recognizing that OC is not restricted by the Code of Alabama. That should be very easy to pass since nobody in the legislature wasts to be branded as "anti gun."

Educating the public on OC is going to be slow. Things aren't going to change overnight, or even by this time next year. Not unless there's some VERY public and VERY official recognition that OC is not prohibited under Alabama law. Getting a story on the evening news is fine; but that won't be seen by the vast majority of people, and it won't be seen by the people who need to see it the most.

cowboy67

imported post

AL Ranger wrote:
Mass communication is the only answer to reaching people quickly but which medium would yield the best results. I think it would be billboards but the cost for any endeavor like that would take a little work. I'm sure Dianosis could get something worked out and we would have to chip in to get the thing started. But, where? Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile....where?
Have you ever heard of the Burma shaving cream company? I am sure that you have seen or heard of their billboards. When I lived in Illinois, the gun rights group there used the same type of signage that the Burma company used.

See this site for an example--->>>

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS385&=&q=burma+shave+signs&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=burma&gs_rfai=CbUNnYTwjTNOcCpzGhgTm65iFCwAAAKoEBU_QdsPA

The signs are something we could make and post along the roadways like they did in Illinois. See their examples

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS385&q=burma+shave+signs+illinois+gun&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

AlabamaFamilyMan

imported post

jaiotu wrote:

We don't need to pass legislation in AL regarding OC. It's already legal. But... if we could find some brave soul in the State Legislature, we just might be able to get them to pass a "resolution" recognizing that OC is not restricted by the Code of Alabama. That should be very easy to pass since nobody in the legislature wasts to be branded as "anti gun."

Agreed that we do not need to make OC 'legal' by passing a law (what can be passed can be revoked!), but we do need to put limits on how LEOs often get around its being legal, i.e., OC is not disorderly conduct, etc.

AFM

Deacon Blues

imported post

I'm up against this all the time in the church. People always get excited about using billboards and TV spots (especially when you've got members who make them for a living), but they are surprisingly ineffective in the grand scheme.

Here are some statistics from church members on how they found their way in:

* 2% by advertisement
* 6% by pastoral invitation
* 6% by organized evangelism campaign
* 86% by friends or relatives

- Roy M. Oswald and Speed B. Leas, The Inviting Church (Herndon, VA: The Alban Institute, 1987), p44.

Now, obviously our situation with OC is not a direct parellel, but I think the lesson is still applicable. In simplest terms, personal interaction - especially through established relationships - promotes involvement far more effectively than any form of mass media. Of course, you will eventually run out of friends to tell. This is where our public meetings come into play. We attract a lot of attention, not with our guns, but with our conversations.

Remember, the media has convinced the public of the existence of a super-powerful gun lobby that is responsible for all the pro-gun chatter and legislation they hear about. Billboards and mass media campaigns do nothing to refute this; average Joes chatting outside Starbucks certainly do.

jaiotu wrote:
CCers should be viewed as allies, not "part of the problem." Don't let YOUR right to OC alienate possible allies who exercise THEIR right CC.
This is absolutely true. So far, we've allowed people to walk all over our rights by dividing ourselves into this camp and that. They can do it because, as long as they only attack one aspect of the 2A at a time, they only anger a small portion of all gun rights advocates. If we could count on all the other pro-2A people to rush to our defense, we wouldn't be so worried about "our" numbers.