• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think i stopped a robbery

paintsnow

imported post

KFC, Summerlin, bout 4pm ish.

I had already ordered and was sitting at a table right next to the entrance, back against a wall. Hispanic male, appx. 30 y/o walks in. White over sized teeshirt, baseball cap with flat bill. Covered in tattoos.

He started pulling his shirt away from his body to move air, and fanning himself with his hat, which revealed multiple tattoos on his shaved head. About that time was when i decided he didnt belong. Wrong neighborhood. Not interested in the menu. Hes looking around the restaurant, not at the menus. Some people who had come in from the other door get in line infront of him. Then he left....alright...Comes back in shortly after. Again, looking around restaurant, not at menu. A family gets into line since he was standing off to the side. Leaves. Since there is a wall behind me i cannot see where he keeps going. Comes back in once more, repeat. Actually sits down at the same table i was at. It was one of the higher type tables with tall chairs. We are now both sitting facing the counter. He is still not ordering, more people get in line. Hes not looking at the menu, but around the restaurant.

Now i was sitting with my strong side towards the door where he came in. He must not have noticed me before.

My food comes out, so i walk up to the counter and grab it. When i turn around to leave, my strong side was toward him. I see his eyes get wide. I keep walking for the door, notice movement on my way out. Once i was a couple steps away from the door, i look back, and he is pressed up against the glass door staring at me. I mean, nose almost against the glass, his hands were on the door, full on STARING. Im walking to my vehicle, looked a couple times, still staring. Get in, still staring. As im driving towards the exit, he walks out, and approaches an older sedan that was backed up into a space by the Taco Bell next door. Once i was on the main street i drove past the whole shopping center again and he was still talking to the driver of the sedan.

Called 311, they patched me through to dispatch who felt it was important enough to send out a unit to check things out. Operator kept asking me if i was still in the area and confirming that i had left. Not sure if the description matched a previous incident or what. All i did was tell them everything i just posted, and explained that i was OCing. No comments on that other then asking if i was still in the area.

What do you guys think? He seemed to have been coming back in whenever a new group walked in. Casing the place out? Checking out who the newcomers were? The place he sat gave him a direct line to the registers, past the little fence ment to shape the line. Noobies? Just being cautious? He was defiantly not there to order food.

jpa

imported post

Based on everything you described about the guy's behavior, the location, his reaction to 1) people entering the store and 2) your gun, as a dispatcher I would absolutely send 2 units to check him out. His tats and general appearance doesn't do much to tip the scales in his favor either. He may have been a noncustodial parent there to pick up his kids and the ex-wife was late, or a laborer meeting his boss to get his paycheck, or even a junkie/hype waiting for his dealer to show up (or he was the dealer waiting for his buyer) or even some random guy from craigslist waiting for a blind date at KFC. Regardless of all those possibles, there's nothing wrong with having someone check him out and see what happens.

I think I would have taken my meal and eaten in an unobstructed corner of the parking lot to see what happened.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

paintsnow wrote:
Operator kept asking me if i was still in the area and confirming that i had left. Not sure if the description matched a previous incident or what. All i did was tell them everything i just posted, and explained that i was OCing. No comments on that other then asking if i was still in the area.
The operator wanted to be SURE that you weren't there, because he or she would advise the responding units that the reporting party was OC.

It's also possible that the staff had reached the same conclusion that you did, made a call, but included you on the list of suspicious persons. For that reason, I'm going to disagree with JPA -- you not hanging around was a Really Good Idea. No crime had been committed, so there was no need to keep an eye on the place after you had made your call. Also, if he WAS casing the place for a robbery, you would have been Target Number One.