• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Businesses who deny open carry customers

taz6390

imported post

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I live in northern VA and own an xd40 that I OC. Does anyone know which companies deny service to OC customers?

I have been to starbucks twice while OC'ing and have been asked to leave on both occasions.

Any other businesses out there that deny you sales?

Lets try compiling a list if possible?

taz6390

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
taz6390 wrote:
I have been to starbucks twice while OC'ing and have been asked to leave on both occasions.

Any other businesses out there that deny you sales? Lets try compiling a list if possible?
Maybe you should try reading here a bit, maybe search on "starbucks" to find the truth about our success with them.
I guess I need to switch to a different starbucks location

eye95

imported post

taz6390 wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I live in northern VA and own an xd40 that I OC. Does anyone know which companies deny service to OC customers?

Welcome. Please don't let that first reply put you off.

Your experience at Starbucks is kind of surprising. Their parent company has specifically stated that their policy is to follow local and State laws. In other words, in Alabama, where OC is legal, you are welcome to OC in Starbucks. If an ignorant manager or employee asks you to leave, you might want to ask them to check corporate policy.

We are constantly learning about places that are friendly and not friendly, as the "list" is in continual flux. For example, Sears and K-Mart recently were discovered to be unfriendly. Within days, corporate sent one of our members an email stating that they will follow State and local laws. So, you can carry at Sears, except at Eastdale Mall, where, I learned the hard way, guns are banned.

Stick around. Join in the goings on. Read a lot, as the second post urged. But, write too. New posters can be as valuable as the longer-term members. I look forward to corresponding with you.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I live, technically, just outside of Northern Virginia in western Prince William County. I say technically since that is geographic. The demographics would definitely put me in Northern Virginia.

I have been OC'ing on a regular basis for three years now, and OC'ing for a lot longer than that. I have never been asked to leave a business when OC'ing and I carry all of the counties in this area, plus some cities and towns. I'm sure that at some point, someone is going to ask me to leave the premises but it has not happened yet.

Also, I have only had one negative encounter and that was from a customer in a McDonald's. He said he was a retired LEO but based upon his accent, he was not a native.

This part of Virginia is very gun-friendly and accepting of those who chose to carry. I am surprised you ran into a problem at a Starbucks. Where in this are do you live?

taz6390

imported post

I live in gainesville.I beliveI had the experiences becuase the area is growing so rapidly (piedmont/dominion valley/lake manassas developments) and there are thousands of people from very different backgrounds and may feel uncomfortable around guns. Personally I've been around guns my whole life but i understand if someone feels nervous or doesnt know how to react to the situation.

eye95

imported post

taz6390 wrote:
I live in gainesville.I beliveI had the experiences becuase the area is growing so rapidly (piedmont/dominion valley/lake manassas developments) and there are thousands of people from very different backgrounds and may feel uncomfortable around guns. Personally I've been around guns my whole life but i understand if someone feels nervous or doesnt know how to react to the situation.
I live in an area where OCing is much more unusual than in Northern VA (so much so that LEOs routinely claim it is unlawful), yet the chief reaction I get from ordinary folk is wonder, not uncomfortability.

My best advice is go about your business as routinely as possible, and treat folks you meet as politely as possible. If someone express wonder, answer their questions matter-of-factly. If someone is uncomfortable, make the experience seem as innocuous as possible. Showing them that OC is no big deal is your greatest educational opportunity.

SaintJacque

imported post

eye95 wrote:
taz6390 wrote:
I live in an area where OCing is much more unusual than in Northern VA (so much so that LEOs routinely claim it is unlawful), yet the chief reaction I get from ordinary folk is wonder, not uncomfortability.

My best advice is go about your business as routinely as possible, and treat folks you meet as politely as possible. If someone express wonder, answer their questions matter-of-factly. If someone is uncomfortable, make the experience seem as innocuous as possible. Showing them that OC is no big deal is your greatest educational opportunity.
Well said. It's especially useful for people who've never been exposed to guns or gun owners to see that.

Dreamer

imported post

Exactly which Starbucks asked you to leave?

I travel through NOVA quite often, and in my travels, I sort of make it a point to visit such places and see how they react, and use those experiences as an "educational opportunity". I have state gun rights flyers for about 5 different states that I routinely carry, and take these opportunities to hand them out to the offending parties, and try and educate them before I leave...

But I have RARELY been asked to leave a business. Maybe it's my look, my wardrobe, or my holster, or my general demeanor...

Good luck in the future. Let us know EXACTLY which Starbucks you were asked to leave...

ecocks

imported post

I'd print the corporate press release and give it to the person who next tellsyou to leave. Sure seems like a corporate press release from HQ would over-rule the minimum wage counter clerk's attempt to trespass you.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Welcome. Please don't let that first reply put you off.
It is interesting that the chief troll and dog washer would suggest that a clear, concise and correct retort is off-putting.
Possibly because a 'retort' wasn't called for?

DEFINE: RETORT
(Wiktionary) - A sharp or witty reply, or one which turns an argument against its originator.
(Princeton) - a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one)
(numerous) - [type of glassware used in a laboratory.]

DEFINE: CONCISE
(wiktionary) - brief, yet including all important information

DEFINE: CLE
AR
-free fromconfusion or doubt.
-make free from confusion or ambiguity
- rid of obstructions
-clear from impurities, blemishes, pollution, etc

A Question was asked that involved factual information, it was not argumentative, it was reasonable for a new OC'r and was undeserving of being critical.

The response lacked any information the poster requested.

The response was confusing to a new member, because it referenced STARBUCKS in a manner only someone familiar with the forum would understand. It instilled Doubt because the new member would be unsure if the post was saying OC was or wasn't OK in
Starbucks. It obstructed the goals of OCDO, by insulting a new supporter, and thereby hurting the OC image.

Your post, Doug, that defends this response, is pollution full of impurities.
It is definitely a blemish on your record.

Interesting indeed. +2 bonus points.

simmonsjoe

imported post

taz6390 wrote:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3995.html

This is a running forum about NoVA OC experiences. it is very extensive, use the search function.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"I live in gainesville.I beliveI had the experiences becuase the area is growing so rapidly (piedmont/dominion valley/lake manassas developments) and there are thousands of people from very different backgrounds and may feel uncomfortable around guns. Personally I've been around guns my whole life but i understand if someone feels nervous or doesnt know how to react to the situation."

We are close - as in within three miles I suspect.

Last edited: