• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

appalachian trail carry???

ElevenBravo

imported post

I think some of the recent laws now permit us to carry either CCW or OC a handgun on the appalachian trail.

Or can we?

Im taking the daughter on a hike at Dragon's Tooth soon and Id like to OC on the hike if it is legal.

Please advise-

HORAH
Andrew

johnfenter

imported post

Yes you can; BUT

If you will be accessing the Trail via National Forest land, you must carry concealed with a permit until you actually get to the trail. Remember, Forest is different than Park. And though the Trail itself is run by the Park Service (Dept. of the Interior), it meanders through the Washington/Jefferson National Forests, which are run by the Forest Service (Dept. of Agriculture). Two different sets of rules. So, where will you be entering the Trail? My favorite is at the Tye River/Crabtree Falls area...

ElevenBravo

imported post

Ill be coming in at Dragon's Tooth which is in Roanoke County VA, just prior to getting into Craig County VA (IIRC), by way of Rt. 311 by turning in from Hanging Rock.

The parking lot to DT is right off 311, and the trail to the AT starts right there *AT* the parking lot.... So, Ill just carry OC the entire time until corrected otherwise if there is an error on my behalf, I reckon.

Ive never seen any rangers or LEO of any type on the trail, or at a parking lot.. ever.

Cheers,
Andrew

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ElevenBravo wrote:
Ive never seen any rangers or LEO of any type on the trail, or at a parking lot.. ever.

Cheers,
Andrew
Welcome to the site Andrew. As an old time stump jumper, I doubt you'll see any Rangers or Leo's. They don't like walking much.

ElevenBravo

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Welcome to the site Andrew. As an old time stump jumper, I doubt you'll see any Rangers or Leo's. They don't like walking much.

Thanks for the welcome friend. Yup, even those that wear the green uniform dont feel comfortable or safe too far from there car, where hot coffee and donuts are at the wait.

I dont naturally dislike LEOs, Ive come to this conclusion after years of observation, they are lazy, out of shape and ignorant, for the most part. Yes, there are a few that are professional... but all of them combined could fit in my bathroom. I worked corrections for 6 years, and mostly Ive seen the character set of those that hide cowardice behind a badge and a gun, while I had to work with only a radio.

Anyway..... enough of the soap box. :)

carry on,
Andrew

t33j

imported post

johnfenter wrote:
My favorite is at the Tye River/Crabtree Falls area...
The Priest and Three Ridges plus the 30 or so miles to Waynesboro to be exact.

nova

peter nap wrote:

Thanks for the welcome friend. Yup, even those that wear the green uniform dont feel comfortable or safe too far from there car, where hot coffee and donuts are at the wait.

I dont naturally dislike LEOs, Ive come to this conclusion after years of observation, they are lazy, out of shape and ignorant, for the most part. Yes, there are a few that are professional... but all of them combined could fit in my bathroom. I worked corrections for 6 years, and mostly Ive seen the character set of those that hide cowardice behind a badge and a gun, while I had to work with only a radio.

Anyway..... enough of the soap box. :)

carry on,
Andrew

In my experience there are more professional LEOs than fat lazy or !@#hole ones. Maybe they're held to higher standards here, or the sheer fact that they are larger depts here so there's a better proportion.

Machoduck

Hey johnfenter, I'm perplexed by what you wrote about carry in National Forests. Where did you get your info about the necessity of concealing? I found this:

3. Can I carry a firearm on the national forest? back to top

Possession of firearms. The possession and unconcealed carry of a firearm on the national forest is not restricted by federal law or Forest Service regulations with the exception of “prohibited possessors,” such as convicted felons (see 18 USC 922g (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC922) and ARS 13-3101 (http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03101.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS) ). State laws regarding the concealed carry of firearms and the carrying of weapons within or on a motor vehicle apply to all National Forest System lands.

Discharge of firearms. National Forest regulations prohibit the discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or any other occupied area; across a road or any body of water adjacent to a road; into or within a cave; or in any negligent manner that could endanger life or property (see 36 CFR 261.10d) (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/julqtr/pdf/36cfr261.10.pdf) . The Tonto National Forest also has areas that are closed to recreational shooting year-round due to proximity to local communities (see Forest Closure Orders). During periods of high fire danger, additional restrictions on the use of firearms may be imposed. None of the temporary or year-round restrictions prohibit the use of a firearm in the lawful taking of game.

New firearm laws.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/LawEnforcement/FAQs/index.shtml

MD

johnfenter

State Law

Machoduck, a direct lift from your post: "State laws regarding the concealed carry of firearms and the carrying of weapons within or on a motor vehicle apply to all National Forest System lands." The answer you get is not found in Federal law or regulation, but in Virginia Administrative Code. As follows.

4VAC15-40-60. Hunting with dogs or possession of weapons in certain locations during closed season.

A. ... national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.

D. Shooting ranges and authorized activities. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the conduct of any activities authorized by the board or the establishment and operation of archery and shooting ranges on the lands described in subsections A, B and C of this section. The use of firearms, crossbows, and bows in such ranges during the closed season period will be restricted to the area within the established range boundaries. Such weapons shall be required to be unloaded and cased or dismantled in all areas other than the range boundaries. The use of firearms, crossbows, or bows during the closed hunting period in such ranges shall be restricted to target shooting only and no birds or animals shall be molested.

F. It shall be unlawful to possess or transport any loaded firearm, or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on national forest lands or department-owned lands.

G. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

For the purpose of this section, the word "possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow, crossbow, or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle or conveyance. For the purpose of this section, a "loaded firearm" shall be defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the magazine or clip when such magazine or clip is engaged or partially engaged in a firearm. The definition of a loaded muzzleloading firearm will include a muzzleloading firearm that is capped, or has a charged pan, or has a primer or battery installed in the firearm. The definition of a "loaded crossbow" is a crossbow that is cocked and has either a bolt or arrow engaged or partially engaged on the shooting rail or track of the crossbow, or with a "trackless crossbow" when the crossbow is cocked and a bolt or arrow is nocked.

Unless you have a permit, you cannot cross National Forest Land to get to the Trail with a loaded handgun. I suppose you could unload and case the firearm until on the trail.

VAopencarry

So, Ill just carry OC the entire time until corrected otherwise if there is an error on my behalf

I would suggest this is not a good way to approach carrying or anything related to firearms. The 'correction' can easily land you in jail. Know the law beforehand.

ElevenBravo

New question:

Lets say for example, I go to Douthet State Park in Covington. According to the law, a "common citizen" cannot carry a firearm in a state park. However, previsions are made for those that have been issued a CWP by the Communist... er, Commonwealth.

However, it does NOT say, that the weapon MUST be carried CONCEALED, it just says that if you have CHP you CAN CARRY.

Any thoughts on this?

I know I may be "reaching" on this one, but it crossed my mind and was curious to the interpenetration of this.

Thanks,
Andrew

t33j

New question:

Lets say for example, I go to Douthet State Park in Covington. According to the law, a "common citizen" cannot carry a firearm in a state park. However, previsions are made for those that have been issued a CWP by the Communist... er, Commonwealth.

However, it does NOT say, that the weapon MUST be carried CONCEALED, it just says that if you have CHP you CAN CARRY.

Any thoughts on this?

I know I may be "reaching" on this one, but it crossed my mind and was curious to the interpenetration of this.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sorry to disappoint but...
This regulation also shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state parks by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit...
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75894-Forests-Parks-Wildlife-Refuges-and-Cemeteries
Maybe you should let McDonnell know how you feel about it.:cuss:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't worry TJ, McDonnell has it in his secret plan.

I'm still trying to figure out Why Cuccinelli's the SOB and McDonnell is just busy.

t33j

Don't worry TJ, McDonnell has it in his secret plan.

I'm still trying to figure out Why Cuccinelli's the SOB and McDonnell is just busy.

smiley-rolleyes010.gif

Can't say I'm huge fan of either at the moment.

...In other news, look what I just found:

26666_105344426182316_1000012027711.jpg

26666_105344439515648_1000012027711.jpg

Wish I knew that was going on!

Last edited: