• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henderson City Policy

The Big Guy

No word

I have not heard back as of this day. I am in the process drafting a note to the City attorney asking when I will be hearing from her on this subject. I'm guessing she is hoping it has gone away. I will continue to rattle her cage
and will post anything I hear from her. She has had more than enough time to respond.

TBG

jdholmes

I would say they have certainly had ample time to review the request and any case files relating to it in nearby townships...

Anyone have issues carrying in the Henderson Mall? I notice they have a police station right at the entrance...

The Big Guy

Update

Sent on 02/03/11
TBG

Ms Quillin

I have been waiting on your response since your last communication of Dec 09. 2010. At that time you indicated you would be reviewing my request in early January. It is now Early February and
I have not heard back from you. Please let me know where you and the City of Henderson stand on this issue. I think the reading of the law is clear as well as the determination of that law by
other State and local authorities.

I anxiously look forward to your reply.

chekist9942

I would say they have certainly had ample time to review the request and any case files relating to it in nearby townships...

Anyone have issues carrying in the Henderson Mall? I notice they have a police station right at the entrance...

Are you talking about The Galleria? If so, I went there and did not see any prohibiting firearms (OC or CC), but a security officer there told me that no weapons were allowed. Since it is a privately owned building, they can prohibit weapons.

jdholmes

Are you talking about The Galleria? If so, I went there and did not see any prohibiting firearms (OC or CC), but a security officer there told me that no weapons were allowed. Since it is a privately owned building, they can prohibit weapons.

Yes, I was referrencing 'The Galleria' mall. Thanks for the info. That sucks. That will be a fairly close mall to us once we are moved. Maybe I can inquire with the office to see what their official policy is.

Nevada carrier

I wonder if a business located inside the mall who would otherwise not mind a lawfully armed customer in their store, know that the mall is turning away customers. Times are tough for malls what with all of the online options we have these days. I'm not sure prohibiting firearms in a state with some of the most permissive firearms laws in the nation is such a good business model.

Meh, AFAIC malls can all crumble and fail. all they do is cause prices to rise to cover the added overhead of the overpriced square footage. I don't like places crowded with teenagers, and in some neighborhoods gang bangers. The same business could offer better prices on their .com anyway.

28kfps

It was this summer I posted about spending several hours in the Galleria Mall open carrying, I walked right by one of the Mall security guards. We were in Dillards, JCPenney, Macy's, Kohls no one said a word about my firearm. I have also carried in the Meadows Mall stores and had lunch in the food court purposely sitting near the walkway and no one said a word.

jdholmes

It was this summer I posted about spending several hours in the Galleria Mall open carrying, I walked right by one of the Mall security guards. We were in Dillards, JCPenney, Macy's, Kohls no one said a word about my firearm. I have also carried in the Meadows Mall stores and had lunch in the food court purposely sitting near the walkway and no one said a word.

Good - great to hear! I honestly believe that malls and shopping centers are one of the most important places that we should be free to carry! Too many tales of people being assaulted, robbed, raped, and killed in parking lots of these places.

If we are forced to leave our protection in our vehicles in an area where the chances of them being needed is at its greatest, what is the point of carrying at all?

The Big Guy

New reply from assitant attorney.

On 03/29/11 I sent the following to the Henderson Ciry Attorney:

Ms. Quillin

I was expecting an answer from you in January regarding open carry of firearms in City buildings and parks. I wrote to you in February asking you again to respond and heard nothing from you. Here we are now at the end of March with no reply. As the City Attorney you are the person charged with the responsibility to advise the City with regard to law. I have no intention of letting this issue die and am fully prepared to pursue the matter through other channels if necessary. The law is clear. The state has sole authority regarding firearms issues and the City may not usurp that authority. I have provided you with details of my position by statutes and opinions of other authorities and that is more than enough for you to see that my position is sound.

I will be expecting a timely reply.

Regards

I recieved the following response from Assistant City Attorney Mr. Zentz today:

Mr. XXX,

We have researched the issue and are seeking direction from the City Council. Once a decision is made you will be notified.

Robert Zentz
Assistant City Attorney
223 Lead Street, MSC 211
P.O. Box 95050
Henderson, NV 89009-5050
Telephone: (702) 267-1200 Fax: (702) 267- 5001

I have responded to Mr. Zentz asking when the City Council will be putting this on the agenda so I can attend.

TBG

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Not sure what they have to research. They cant regulate them.

They are no doubt looking for a loophole which will allow them to do so.

Someone in Henderson (who thus has legal standing) should begin the lawsuit process. You're not permitted to sue the government without the government's permission -- that is, you send a letter demanding action (copies to the City Attorney, Mayor, City Manager and City Council members), with a reasonable time limit, and informing them that you intend to file suit (for however many thousands of dollars) if nothing is done by the time you set.

If they don't satisfy your demand, then you may file suit. Essentially, the letter is giving them a chance to solve the problem without the expense of defending themselves in court.

Usually these letters are enough to get things done, especially when it's such a simple issue.

The Big Guy

New email from City Attorney.

The following is an email I recieved today from the Henderson City Attorney, and my reply:

I hope you indulge me some compassion. My son finished an internship for Congresswoman Giffords. Gabe Zimmerman was his mentor and he shared an office with Pam Simon. I had to travel to Tucson to be with my son, who although he thinks is strong, was heartbroken. I'm not an expert on this. I know I piss off people every day, without my knowledge. I just want to make sure our staff in City Hall is safe. I don't believe that someone with gun can protect us. Unless you are trained law enforcement or military, it is, in my humble belief, naive to think you will save the day in a crisis. I understand you will post this. In my past as a public defender and as a single parent, I felt compelled to buy a gun to protect my family from a psychopath who became fixated on me.

I think this requires thoughtful consideration. My city council is also worried about our staff.

Btw, the young man who was carrying almost killed the protectors, and not Loughner. Ne was brave enough to say he was glad he took a second, yes a second to think. He may have killed an innocent person.

Ms. Quillin

I have compassion for anyone who is a victim of violence of any kind. To think that somehow the average citizen who wishes to provide for their own protection and that of their family is somehow a danger to the general public or people at City Hall in particular, while at the same time believe that they have the right they would deny others, shows an elitist attitude.

Naïve is to think that only the Police and Military are to be armed (the founding fathers knew better) and that they somehow are better shots than anyone else familiar with firearms. Check out all the incidences of Police “spaying” bullets at a subject because they can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Perhaps you should also be made aware that the courts have ruled that the police have no duty to protect any individual citizen or group of citizens. Also using your theory, how many citizens are actually ex military? I could go through case after case of mass shootings because none of the innocents had the ability to protect themselves.

Quite frankly your personal opinion is of no relevance in this issue. You are an Officer of the Court and are bound to follow the Constitutions of the State of Nevada and the United states, as well as the laws of the state. The laws of the state and these Constitutions are clear. We, the citizens, have the right to keep and bear arms, providing for our own protection. Local governments have exactly NO authority to regulate firearms issues excepting for the discharge there of. If you have a differing opinion then you have the right to petition your government as a private citizen for redress of grievances. You don’t like the law? Change it. Don’t just ignore it. You as an Attorney should know this.

It was my understanding that the “licensed” citizen that you speak of did not even draw his gun, but tackled the attacker. To say that “he almost killed the protectors” and “He may have killed an innocent person” is fear mongering, plain and simple and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying it.

Please advise me when the City Council will be taking up this issue.

TBG

Motofixxer

Well since the last reply has zero legal references or info, but is rather an opinion. It's a last ditch effort rather than state the obvious of which they are trying to avoid.

Last edited:

DVC

I find it interesting that she followed her comment about gun-owners being naive with a claim that she bought a gun for self-protection.

Someone should hand-carry a copy of the Kleck report to her office.

If you do the intent-to-sue letter, quote Ms Quillin's opinion, as it shows a personal position which may be causing her to drag her feet.

The City Council is worried about their staff -- they should be more worried about the law. If they won't uphold laws written by higher levels of government, then why should anyone follow city regulations?

The Big Guy

Another reply from Ms. Quillin.

She has already replied to my latest response. She is either trying to use emotions as a tactic to fight a battle in which she has no ammunition, or she is currently emotionally off balance and unable to think logically and dispassionately with regard to the law as an attorney should. Here is her latest email:

Tim,
You can attack my rationality on this issue. I had to run to Tucson to comfort my son. I'm speaking to you as a mom. He is a strong , accomplished child. He collapsed in my arms and sobbed at the loss, I am available to speak with you about this.

Interesting note is that she is sending these from her Ipad and not her office computer. This last email was not copied to A.C.A. Zentz either.

TBG

DVC

You can attack my rationality on this issue. I had to run to Tucson to comfort my son. I'm speaking to you as a mom.

Two questions for her:

1) Are you saying that being a mom makes you unable to do the job?

2) Why are you opposed to other moms having the means to protect their children against actual present and deadly threats?