• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training

AL Ranger

imported post

The amount of training depends upon you and the method of carry. If you change your mode of carry (strong side, shoulder holster, cross draw) the more you have to train. If you carry one way consistently the less you have to vary your training. But, since carrying is something we do all the time, we can train whenever we feel like it. But, you still need to train and practice.

terminal.logic

imported post

How do you train? Any particular method?

The reason I ask is because I rarely read anything about training on OC forums. Alot of carry carry carry...but little training...

JohnH

How do you train? Any particular method?

The reason I ask is because I rarely read anything about training on OC forums. Alot of carry carry carry...but little training...

Would you be asking this question if everyone CC and you never saw their gun? No doubt that training iis important. But so are things like situational awareness. You know, the simple stuff like when you go to the ATM, don't just look at the machine, look around while you're there. Like parking in Wally Worlds parking lot at night, always park as near to a light post as possible. Another method is parking far away from the building, the walk gives you a good chance to observe any followers, and by not walking straight to your car, you get the opportunity to observe what is happening around it.

And what about keeping some pepper spray. Not all assaults require lethal force. It is called a handgun because it was intended to be fired with one hand. If you are not practicing one handed shooting, you ain't thought this through very well. Nothing says you are going to get to use both hands or even your strong hand in an attack

Training. I hear this all the time from police officers who are anti open carry, as if they consider ordinary citizens to not be smart enough to get out of the rain; and frankly, I find it offensive. Now perhaps this was not your intent on bringing the subject up, but it certainly carries that jist.

Considering that police officers shoot the wrong person about 11% of the time, while civilians only do so ony 2% of the time, one must wonder just how valuable all that training is. Not being anti law enforcement, just anti arrogance.

USMC1911

Would you be asking this question if everyone CC and you never saw their gun? No doubt that training iis important. But so are things like situational awareness. You know, the simple stuff like when you go to the ATM, don't just look at the machine, look around while you're there. Like parking in Wally Worlds parking lot at night, always park as near to a light post as possible. Another method is parking far away from the building, the walk gives you a good chance to observe any followers, and by not walking straight to your car, you get the opportunity to observe what is happening around it.

And what about keeping some pepper spray. Not all assaults require lethal force. It is called a handgun because it was intended to be fired with one hand. If you are not practicing one handed shooting, you ain't thought this through very well. Nothing says you are going to get to use both hands or even your strong hand in an attack

Training. I hear this all the time from police officers who are anti open carry, as if they consider ordinary citizens to not be smart enough to get out of the rain; and frankly, I find it offensive. Now perhaps this was not your intent on bringing the subject up, but it certainly carries that jist.

Considering that police officers shoot the wrong person about 11% of the time, while civilians only do so ony 2% of the time, one must wonder just how valuable all that training is. Not being anti law enforcement, just anti arrogance.

+1 Practice, Practice often. "IF" this happens, I'll do that. "IF" that looks bad, I'll do this. If you don't Practice and Practice often, when the need arises, you will not automatically do what is needed to survive. That split second of indecision or that extra moment it takes to disengage that weapons safety may be all it takes for the BG to get the drop on you. Practice, Practice often.
Semper Fi

Brimstone Baritone

I'm practicing my draw until I get it right. I'm practicing so that I can adjust the tension screw, so I can adjust the tilt, so I can decide what position I want to wear it. I'm going to keep practicing until I can draw from the retention holster, thumb the right handed safety with my left thumb and get it back in position before the gun comes up. I'm almost there and I've only had it since Tuesday.

I'm going to practice shooting two handed, one handed, off handed, whatever, as often as I can afford to go to the range. .45ACP ain't exactly cheap, even in FMJ, but it's worth it for the practice. Training only gets you so far, it's the practice that makes the difference.

AL Ranger

Please don't feed the troll.
I'm not "feeding" the troll, he's bumfuzzled! We all know that most, and I repeat, MOST, LEO's just get their annual training and that's it. Some gun owners train and shoot more often than some LEO's. Any BG is not going to know if any OCer is former military, law enforcement or avid shooter. He'll just have to take his chances. Hopefully, the OCer has a good retention system for his pistol and backup in case his primary pistol is taken.

Kingfish

I'm not "feeding" the troll...

With all due respect..This guy just wants to start **** and engaging him/her is what he/she wants. You are preaching to the choir here. He/she is not here for an education only to stir up trouble.

Carry on if you must though but if no one responds to the ignorant rants then they will go away (thus not feeding the troll.)

Monkeytown

With all due respect..This guy just wants to start **** and engaging him/her is what he/she wants. You are preaching to the choir here. He/she is not here for an education only to stir up trouble.

Carry on if you must though but if no one responds to the ignorant rants then they will go away (thus not feeding the troll.)

Well said my friend!