• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry thru IA

hogeaterf6

imported post

What do I need to do or know about carring thru Iowa from Ind on my way to SD? I have a LTCH from Ind.

mrjam2jab

imported post

As of right now, IA does not honor any other state's license so you'd have to travel via FOPA:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

After Jan 1, 2011, IA will honor ALL state's license.

amaixner

I believe the relevant Iowa Code for you would be:

724.4 Carrying weapons.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon concealed on or about the person, or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed with a pistol or revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, or who knowingly carries or transports in a vehicle a pistol or revolver, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

4. Subsections 1 through 3 do not apply to any of the following:

e. A person who for any lawful purpose carries an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other dangerous weapon inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person.

f. A person who for any lawful purpose carries or transports an unloaded pistol or revolver in a vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the pistol or revolver will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.

g. A person while the person is lawfully engaged in target practice on a range designed for that purpose or while actually engaged in lawful hunting.

all of it: http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/2003SUPPLEMENT/724/

amaixner

Was my understanding that if one is passing thru a state, FOPA overrides any State laws....

Yes, but Iowa's laws on transporting weapons are LESS restrictive than what is required by FOPA86. In Iowa you may have your protection accessible within a few seconds while following Iowa law - weapon unloaded, magazine loaded and out of the weapon, in a closed and fastened container too large to be concealed on one's person.
One example of that is a moderate sized bag or container on the seat next to you with the zipper or latch closed.

SFC Stu

Yes, but Iowa's laws on transporting weapons are LESS restrictive than what is required by FOPA86. In Iowa you may have your protection accessible within a few seconds while following Iowa law - weapon unloaded, magazine loaded and out of the weapon, in a closed and fastened container too large to be concealed on one's person.
One example of that is a moderate sized bag or container on the seat next to you with the zipper or latch closed.

I have done this for years while traveling in Iowa. Slide locked back on Kimber in fastened hard case on the passenger seat. Loaded magazine close by! Won't have to do this after 1 January, 2011!

TyGuy

Will OC be allowed to non-residents with permits after jan 1st?

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Will OC be allowed to non-residents with permits after jan 1st?

Yes, but OC is pretty much a non existent practice here in Iowa, so while it may be legal, don't expect to go unnoticed.

724.11A Recognition.
A valid permit or license issued by another state to any nonresident of this state shall be
considered to be a valid permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this chapter,
except that such permit or license shall not be considered to be a substitute for an annual permit
to acquire pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.

TyGuy

Well I OC in Wisconsin, so I understand legal but not normal.

emsjeep

FOPA provides a person with an optional way of carrying a firearm through a gun unfriendly state (or through several states whose laws may differ).

In other words, travelling interstate, a person can either transport their firearms in accordance with each state's laws as they enter that state, or they can transport their firearms in accordance with FOPA and not have to bother with each individual state's laws.

FOPA is limited to the firearm itself and ammunition, though. FOPA does not cover items such as "high capacity" magazines that might be forbidden in some states - and also would not negate requirements in states like Ohio that require magazines in the vehicle to be unloaded as well as the gun (for non-permit holders).

In regards to transport with loaded vs. unloaded magazines under FOPA do you have an authority to cite to? I'v been researching this for a while....thanks

emsjeep

FOPA is quoted in post #2 above. You will not find any requirement to unload magazines in FOPA, only that the ammo is stored inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle, just like the gun is. Ohio is the only state, that I know of, that deems a firearm in a vehicle to be loaded simply by having loaded magazines also present anywhere in the vehicle.

If the firearm and loaded magazines were properly locked up in the trunk or in a locked case, police under normal circumstances would have no legal authority to unlock/open the compartment or case anyway.

In New York, the handgun is loaded if you have in your possession any ammunition for it whether in magazines or otherwise. To be unloaded and in compliance without FOPA one would have to leave all ammo at home. FOPA protects that ammo though, but I have LE insisting that it has to be out of the mags which I see no authority for among the case law or in the statute itself.

Last edited: