Thread: Who Needs To Play Dead In A National Park?

Post imported post

http://headlines.verizon.com/headlin...rticle=2884599
    . . .Miller managed to pull out his .357 Magnum revolver and squeeze off a single shot, possibly grazing the animal. Then his survival training kicked in: He fell onto his stomach, dug his face into the dirt and covered his neck with his hands to protect it from the grizzly's claws and teeth.
    The bear went for his exposed right arm, gnawing and clawing it and chipping the bone off the tip of his elbow. The attack lasted 10-15 seconds, then the animal lumbered away.

Post imported post

Sounds like Miller needs some target practice.

Post imported post

na, just a bigger gun....like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403aklHwL9g
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

A bigger gun doesn't help if you miss.

Post imported post

balackolama wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:
    na, just a bigger gun....like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403aklHwL9g
    has our military ever had a gun like that the one person can carry?
    possible. It weights 30 pounds, the battery weights 7 pounds & 1000 rounds of 7.62 mm ammo is another 35 pounds.

so, 72 pounds or so just for weapon & ammo. would have to be a BIG guy to hump that thing in the bush.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    if you miss with a Minigun, which fires 3000 rounds of 7.62x51 a minute you deserve to die.

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    if you miss with a Minigun, which fires 3000 rounds of 7.62x51 a minute you deserve to die.
    I guess your right. I'll have to mount one of these onto my humvee next time I go for a hike.

Post imported post

If a bear is coming at me and I've got a .357...it will sound like a "full auto gun"...one shot....F.T. On a serious note, I'd be dammed if I carried anything less than a .45 with two extra mags on me.

I know its not enough gun, but that is the minimum I would carry in bear country. Hell, I don't carry anything less that .40 for animals outside of bear country.

Post imported post

balackolama wrote:
    i just ordered a 357 mag s&w revolver that better be good for bears
    If you're going to just graze the hairy thing, particularly with only one shot, a 44 magnum won't be enough, either.

If you're steady enough to draw and empty 16+1 of 147 JHP (Ranger SXT) into it's face, mouth, and neck area in 5 seconds, and a second clip of 16 in the next five seconds (33 rounds, total), the overall effect is actually greater than a six-shot .44 magnum, though delivered over ten seconds, vs a more likely 3 seconds for the magnum.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

balackolama wrote:
    i just ordered a 357 mag s&w revolver that better be good for bears
    My little reading would indicate that the load is important. Seems I've seen heavy, hard-cast, gas-checked bullets recommended.

Apparently the whole point of hard-cast bullets are that they penetrate as deep as possible, a recommended characteristic for large or dangerous animals.

I'm guessing, but do not clearly recall, thathard-cast bullets will be less likely"strip" the rifling than ordinary soft-lead bullets. I have this vague, separaterecollection that anything much over 1000 fps tends to start stripping the bullet, rather than the bullet cleanly following the rifling. Of course, magnumvelocities are much higher than 1000 fps.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chip in.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

How about .357 mag in FMJ. Should help with penetration.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Saw a bear this evening in Shenandoah National Park. I was carrying my Glock 23, I didn't feel underarmed. We did have to evacuate our picnic and make a tactical withdrawal as he had moved to within 30 yards of our table. No thing was harmed in the encounter.

Oddly I had posted this afternoon in this topic before the forum change. I don't think the .357 was the fellows downfall, rather poor shot placement and his failure to follow through with more shots until he had no more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by balackolama View Post
    do people eat bear meat? or would it be tough to chew?
    its a decent meat imo.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

So there I was dead in the sights of a Cape Buffalo with my trusty Ruger 10/22...

Seriously folks, they are called dangerous game for a reason. If I and 3 companions were in bear country all armed with hi-cap 45s I would still be nervous. If money were no hindrance, I think I would be packing twin .454 Casull revolvers with a 44 Magnum as a back-up. And that's only if I was not allowed to have whatever rifle is recommended for such game (I'm not a rifle guy so I don't know).
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    its a decent meat imo.
    Have you actually had some?

I remember being at church in Wisconsin and the priest talked about his bear hunting trip. I don't remember whether he hunted for the meat or pelt.

One of my hunter buddies told me his rule of thumb was that if it ate plants (herbivore) it usually tasted good. If it ate meat it didn't. I don't know if that is true or not.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Have you actually had some?.
    I have. It is definitely not beef. Proper preparation is important. Black Bear is not particularly difficult to kill. Everyone I know who hunts bear does so for the meat. The mount is a bonus. You can not just go to your local grocery store and purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    balackolama wrote:

If you're going to just graze the hairy thing, particularly with only one shot, a 44 magnum won't be enough, either.

If you're steady enough to draw and empty 16+1 of 147 JHP (Ranger SXT) into it's face, mouth, and neck area in 5 seconds, and a second clip of 16 in the next five seconds (33 rounds, total), the overall effect is actually greater than a six-shot .44 magnum, though delivered over ten seconds, vs a more likely 3 seconds for the magnum.
    "Clips" that I've seen only hold 8 or fewer rounds. The M-1 Garand holds 8. The "Half" and "Full" Moon clips for revolvers usually have 3 or 6 rounds, respectively.

Magazines (they have moving parts like springs and followers and are enclosed) on the other hand hold as few as 5 rounds (some hunting rifles) and as many as 100-rounds for "snail" magazines for AK's and M16 clones.

Some weapons (like the '03 Springfield) have internal magazines. Others have box magazines that LOOK like they're removable but aren't (the SKS).

Sorry... One of my pet peeves: The difference between a magazine (has moving parts) and a clip (bare piece of metal, no moving parts). Military ammunition also comes in clips sometimes. One of the NALC/DODICs for "clipped" 5.56 ammo was A071 that had clips of 10 rounds held in a bandolier with several hundred rounds while A066 was the NALC/DODIC for ammo in 20-round cardboard boxes. Of course they came in metal ammo cans, with 2 cans of ammo per wooden wirebound case.

I digress here... I've gone WAY Off Topic about "Who needs to play dead in a National Park"? I can only hope that we can all be properly armed and prepared to protect ourselves from predators in the National Parks... from the 2-legged and the 4-legged varieties.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)