• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Needs To Play Dead In A National Park?

MSC 45ACP

balackolama wrote:

If you're going to just graze the hairy thing, particularly with only one shot, a 44 magnum won't be enough, either.

If you're steady enough to draw and empty 16+1 of 147 JHP (Ranger SXT) into it's face, mouth, and neck area in 5 seconds, and a second clip of 16 in the next five seconds (33 rounds, total), the overall effect is actually greater than a six-shot .44 magnum, though delivered over ten seconds, vs a more likely 3 seconds for the magnum.

"Clips" that I've seen only hold 8 or fewer rounds. The M-1 Garand holds 8. The "Half" and "Full" Moon clips for revolvers usually have 3 or 6 rounds, respectively.

Magazines (they have moving parts like springs and followers and are enclosed) on the other hand hold as few as 5 rounds (some hunting rifles) and as many as 100-rounds for "snail" magazines for AK's and M16 clones.

Some weapons (like the '03 Springfield) have internal magazines. Others have box magazines that LOOK like they're removable but aren't (the SKS).

Sorry... One of my pet peeves: The difference between a magazine (has moving parts) and a clip (bare piece of metal, no moving parts). Military ammunition also comes in clips sometimes. One of the NALC/DODICs for "clipped" 5.56 ammo was A071 that had clips of 10 rounds held in a bandolier with several hundred rounds while A066 was the NALC/DODIC for ammo in 20-round cardboard boxes. Of course they came in metal ammo cans, with 2 cans of ammo per wooden wirebound case.

I digress here... I've gone WAY Off Topic about "Who needs to play dead in a National Park"? I can only hope that we can all be properly armed and prepared to protect ourselves from predators in the National Parks... from the 2-legged and the 4-legged varieties.