• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Needs To Play Dead In A National Park?

The Donkey

imported post

http://headlines.verizon.com/headlines/portals/headlines.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=headlines_portal_page__article&_article=2884599
. . .Miller managed to pull out his .357 Magnum revolver and squeeze off a single shot, possibly grazing the animal. Then his survival training kicked in: He fell onto his stomach, dug his face into the dirt and covered his neck with his hands to protect it from the grizzly's claws and teeth.
The bear went for his exposed right arm, gnawing and clawing it and chipping the bone off the tip of his elbow. The attack lasted 10-15 seconds, then the animal lumbered away.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

balackolama wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
na, just a bigger gun....like this one :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403aklHwL9g
has our military ever had a gun like that the one person can carry?
possible. It weights 30 pounds, the battery weights 7 pounds & 1000 rounds of 7.62 mm ammo is another 35 pounds.

so, 72 pounds or so just for weapon & ammo. would have to be a BIG guy to hump that thing in the bush.

Article1section23

imported post

If a bear is coming at me and I've got a .357...it will sound like a "full auto gun"...one shot....F.T. On a serious note, I'd be dammed if I carried anything less than a .45 with two extra mags on me.

I know its not enough gun, but that is the minimum I would carry in bear country. Hell, I don't carry anything less that .40 for animals outside of bear country.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

balackolama wrote:
i just ordered a 357 mag s&w revolver that better be good for bears

If you're going to just graze the hairy thing, particularly with only one shot, a 44 magnum won't be enough, either.

If you're steady enough to draw and empty 16+1 of 147 JHP (Ranger SXT) into it's face, mouth, and neck area in 5 seconds, and a second clip of 16 in the next five seconds (33 rounds, total), the overall effect is actually greater than a six-shot .44 magnum, though delivered over ten seconds, vs a more likely 3 seconds for the magnum.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

balackolama wrote:
My little reading would indicate that the load is important. Seems I've seen heavy, hard-cast, gas-checked bullets recommended.

Apparently the whole point of hard-cast bullets are that they penetrate as deep as possible, a recommended characteristic for large or dangerous animals.

I'm guessing, but do not clearly recall, thathard-cast bullets will be less likely"strip" the rifling than ordinary soft-lead bullets. I have this vague, separaterecollection that anything much over 1000 fps tends to start stripping the bullet, rather than the bullet cleanly following the rifling. Of course, magnumvelocities are much higher than 1000 fps.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chip in.

balackolama

imported post

Citizen wrote:
balackolama wrote:
My little reading would indicate that the load is important. Seems I've seen heavy, hard-cast, gas-checked bullets recommended.

Apparently the whole point of hard-cast bullets are that they penetrate as deep as possible, a recommended characteristic for large or dangerous animals.

I'm guessing, but do not clearly recall, thathard-cast bullets will be less likely"strip" the rifling than ordinary soft-lead bullets. I have this vague, separaterecollection that anything much over 1000 fps tends to start stripping the bullet, rather than the bullet cleanly following the rifling. Of course, magnumvelocities are much higher than 1000 fps.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chip in.

maybe try it out on a bear with people standing by with a few 10g shotguns

but theres no bears in pahrump and im not going to california yet

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Saw a bear this evening in Shenandoah National Park. I was carrying my Glock 23, I didn't feel underarmed. We did have to evacuate our picnic and make a tactical withdrawal as he had moved to within 30 yards of our table. No thing was harmed in the encounter.

Oddly I had posted this afternoon in this topic before the forum change. I don't think the .357 was the fellows downfall, rather poor shot placement and his failure to follow through with more shots until he had no more ammo.

paramedic70002

So there I was dead in the sights of a Cape Buffalo with my trusty Ruger 10/22...

Seriously folks, they are called dangerous game for a reason. If I and 3 companions were in bear country all armed with hi-cap 45s I would still be nervous. If money were no hindrance, I think I would be packing twin .454 Casull revolvers with a 44 Magnum as a back-up. And that's only if I was not allowed to have whatever rifle is recommended for such game (I'm not a rifle guy so I don't know).

45acpForMe

its a decent meat imo.

Have you actually had some?

I remember being at church in Wisconsin and the priest talked about his bear hunting trip. I don't remember whether he hunted for the meat or pelt.

One of my hunter buddies told me his rule of thumb was that if it ate plants (herbivore) it usually tasted good. If it ate meat it didn't. I don't know if that is true or not.