• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trespassed from Hogs and Dogs in West Richland

Jayd1981

imported post

I was kicked out of Hogs and Dogs in West Richland a little while ago by West Richland's finest. They are claiming there is a city ordnance that prohibits firearms in thier parks. After mentioning that WA preempts firearm laws they then said leave or be arrested. So I guess I will be filing a complaint tomorrow.

killchain

imported post

Go figure. While you're at it, write your state representative.

Their front office is littered with "know your firearms rights" literature too. :banghead:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

12.12.030 Park property – Regulation of use.
A. It is unlawful for any person, except for city employees and other city-authorized persons in the performance of their duties, or pursuant to a special use permit issued by the mayor or the city administrator, to violate any of the following rules and regulations, which shall apply to all public parks throughout the city of West Richland:

2. There shall be no possession of firearms in the park, including air rifles and pellet guns
He's right, they do have such an ordinance, but you are right, state law preempts it. Time to educate them.

killchain

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
I was kicked out of Hogs and Dogs in West Richland a little while ago by West Richland's finest. They are claiming there is a city ordnance that prohibits firearms in thier parks. After mentioning that WA preempts firearm laws they then said leave or be arrested. So I guess I will be filing a complaint tomorrow.
Came back to it after I thought a bit more...

I'm assuming it was in one of the city parks. Which was it? And can the facilitators of an event trespass people in that situation? This is a valid question for me; I don't know whether they can or not.

If not, then there is no reason you should have been ousted.

Jayd1981

imported post

killchain wrote:
Jayd1981 wrote:
Came back to it after I thought a bit more...

I'm assuming it was in one of the city parks. Which was it? And can the facilitators of an event trespass people in that situation? This is a valid question for me; I don't know whether they can or not.

If not, then there is no reason you should have been ousted.
It was held at the Bombing Range Sports Complex. It was held on a public park so I'm not sure. Either way they kicked me out saying firearms were prohibited in West Richland parks, not the by the facilitators.

Jayd1981

imported post

Thanks for the ordnance and ideas guys. At this point my plan is to go there tomorrow seeking an apology and enforcement of the correct firearms laws. I will also be writing the West Richland city councel to try and correct their ordnance.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Do they not remember Seattle?

Chan v Seattle
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=54

Also read this:
The Attorney General's opinion from Oct. 13th 2008 dealing with the preemption of firearms in Washington State

download here: http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=28

Also: Authority of a city to enact local law prohibiting possession of firearms on city property or in city-owned facilities.

download here: http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=58

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Do they not remember Seattle? Chan v Seattle
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=54

Also read this:
The Attorney General's opinion from Oct. 13th 2008 dealing with the preemption of firearms in Washington State

download here: http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=28

M1Gunr's new smiley...

violent-smiley-090.gif

killchain

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
Thanks for the ordnance and ideas guys. At this point my plan is to go there tomorrow seeking an apology and enforcement of the correct firearms laws. I will also be writing the West Richland city councel to try and correct their ordnance.
I'll tug their ear too. This is crap. (What they did is crap. Thought I should specify. :p )

SaintJacque

imported post

Is it time to have an OC get together down there? What is with that part of the state? First Vancouver and now this... If there some kind of "screw your rights, we make the rules" mentality down there?

Stretch

I posted a copy of the West Richland Park Rules on Facebook, I'll see if I can snag it and post it here as well. Revised 12 May, 2005. I wrote the city counsel last evening about their rules and where they were wrong in banning firearms.

34480_1498365020296_1269256698_31443899_6910118_n.jpg

Bill Starks

State Researcher
The good thing is that it's always sunny in the Tri-cities area. I'm up for a park BBQ anytime, I've got nothing on my hands till the end of Aug.

Jayd1981

Now that the forum is back up. Friday I contacted the West Richland Police Dept. and the chief was willing to talk to me on the phone. I tried explaning to him the the ordinance is preempted and why. His response was essentially that he will give the information I told him to the city attorney (RCW 9.41.290, RCW 9.41.300, Chan v. Seattle, and AG's oppinion), however he was still right and justified in kicking me out of the park.

At this point I have requested the records they have for the contact thursday and I have contacted an attorney myself in case I decide it needs to go that for to correct this issue. I'll be sending off my emails to the city counsel tomorrow.

sudden valley gunner

My mistake and many here if you are up to it is to allow them to arrest you, then you have solid ground for a criminal/civil case against them. Sometimes they just won't learn any other way.

Jayd1981

It did cross my mind if it would have been better if I had forced thier hand to arrest or cite me. Well hindsight is always 20/20. I'll deal with the situation how it is I guess.