• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The REAL reason they don't want citizens in Chicago to be armed...

Dreamer

imported post

So that drunken off-duty police can get free cab rides by threatening to shoot cabbies when their fare comes due...

BTW, Officer John Killackey iis STILL on the payroll, but at least he's on a desk, not on the streets.

EVERY citizen of Chicago should be calling the Mayor and demanding this guy have his badge taken away, and be thrown in jail for assault with a deadly weapon and extortion, and his commanding officer should be brought up on Criminal Conspiracy charges for attempting to cover it up, and charged with Obstructing Justice for not allowing the victim to file a complaint.

It sounds like Chicago cops work from the same training manual that they use in Prince George's County MD...

From the Chicago Sun-Times:
Cabbie who had off-duty cop pull gun on him upset by probation
June 24, 2010
BY STEFANO ESPOSITO Staff Reporter

A cabbie who had a gun pulled on him by an off-duty Chicago cop during a fare dispute was angered today when the officer got off with just probation and community service.

Officer John Killackey, 32, had faced up to a year behind bars after being found guilty of aggravated assault and theft of service by Judge Thomas Byrne at a bench trial in May.

But Killackey instead was given 18 months of supervision and 60 hours of community service today.

“I think they gave him a [break] because of his” job, cabbie Karl Clermont told the Sun-Times after the sentencing today at the branch courthouse at 5555 W. Grand.

“Any normal civilian who would pull a gun on a person would have gotten a jail sentence. I feel like he’s a disgrace to the badge."

Killackey, the son of a former police commander, told cabbie Clermont during the incident last year: “I don’t owe you - - - -” when Clermont demanded an $8 payment for the six-minute ride from Crescendo nightclub to his home at Damen and Armitage, evidence showed.

He then pulled a gun from his waistband and pointed it at Clermont, telling him: "Either I don't owe you - - - - or you get out of the car and see what happens," Clermont testified.

Killackey, who had dozed during the cab ride, collapsed in the street moments after making the threat, the cabbie said. He described the experience as "a nightmare."

When three of Killackey's fellow officers arrived, they detained him, found his gun and badge and realized he was a cop. "They looked like they were about to cry," Clermont told the judge.

But when their commanding officer, Sgt. Robert Peabody, arrived at the scene, he handed Killackey back his gun and badge and let him go, denying Clermont the chance to file a complaint.

Killackey's police powers were suspended and he was put on desk duty after he was charged. He will be sentenced June 24. He showed no emotion as the judge announced his verdict.

After Killackey was convicted in May, Clermont said outside of court, "He still didn't bring my $8," adding that Killackey should "count my singles out in front of his father, Mayor Daley and Supt. Jody Weis."

SaintJacque

imported post

Absolutely disgusting. Let's see, he stole something (theft of services) with the aid of a gun and the threat of deadly force... sounds an awful lot like armed robbery to me, but I guess I'm just not cut out to be a cop in Chicago.

This man should not be in uniform and probably shouldn't have a gun.

rodbender

imported post

SaintJacque wrote:
Absolutely disgusting. Let's see, he stole something (theft of services) with the aid of a gun and the threat of deadly force... sounds an awful lot like armed robbery to me, but I guess I'm just not cut out to be a cop in Chicago.

This man should not be in uniform and probably shouldn't have a gun.
He should be on the inside looking out. But then.....it's Chicago.