• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wachovia Bank?

Dreamer

imported post

I just saw on the VA forums that Wachovia (who is notoriously 2A-UNfriendly) is being completely absorbed by Wells Fargo (which has a corporate policy of "following state and local laws"), a project that has taken over 2 years since Wells Fargos purchase of Wachovia in 2008.

Since CC in a bank in NC is prohibited by statute, and since Wells Fargo is known to be OC-friendly, how do y'all think this might play out for Wachovia branches in NC? Apparently, several VA Wachovia branches have removed their "no guns" signs already...

I'll have to check the Wachovia branches here in Washington and Greenville tomorrow. If this IS the case, I may seriously consider moving all my accounts from BB&T...

Can other folks in NC look at their local Wachovia branch, and see if they are posted?

We need to vote with our wallets, folks...

elixin77

imported post

I personally hate for-profit banks.

My account almost always has less then $25 in it (I do not have bad spending habits - just bills and food), so getting my account dipped into the negative is something very likely to happen. Banking with a for-profit bank makes this worse, and can cause it to be recurring (see this happen with a friend).

If at all possible, get with a credit union. Fees for bounced checks and overages are small (I would know :banghead:), and I've always had great customer service with them.

SECU is unposted too, so you can walk in and around without so much as people (at least the employees) looking at you funny.

78 Camaro

The Wachovia in Brier Creek, North West Raleigh where get cash off my Unemployment card is most definitely anti-gun.
Every week they try to get me to open an account and I've told the manager that I would if they would allow open carry and they would not financially support La Raza.

Last year Wachovia gave La Raza alot of money for La Raza's convention.

Dreamer

In Asheboro the Wachovia is unposted and the SECU is posted "No Concealed Weapons".

Which, interestingly, is redundant and unnecessary, because under NC Statute, it is ALREADY illegal to CC in a bank or financial institution.

Open Carry, on the other hand, is PERFECTY legal in NC, as long as the bank in question is not posted specifically against OC or has a sign that universally prohibits weapons...

SuperRuger

Which, interestingly, is redundant and unnecessary, because under NC Statute, it is ALREADY illegal to CC in a bank or financial institution.

Open Carry, on the other hand, is PERFECTY legal in NC, as long as the bank in question is not posted specifically against OC or has a sign that universally prohibits weapons...

There is no signage law for OC. This is an OC state so you can't place a sign saying no handguns allowed. The owner of the buisness can ask you to leave and if you don't then you are still in no handgun violation but tresspassing only. The only signage law is for CC only.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is no signage law for OC. This is an OC state so you can't place a sign saying no handguns allowed. The owner of the buisness can ask you to leave and if you don't then you are still in no handgun violation but tresspassing only. The only signage law is for CC only.

Nothing illegal about owner posted signs.

Private property owner can do most anything the want to do - whether it has the force of law or not is another manner.

I respect private property rules/requests - just don't spend any money where I don't agree with the terms.

Yata hey

Dreamer

GrapeShot is correct on this one Ruger. Private property owners have the right to allow or prohibit whatever they want on their property--just like you do in your home...

I think what you MEANT to say was there is no statutory PUNISHMENT defined by law for the violation of OCing on a posted property. There IS a specific statutory violation and punishment defined for CC on posted property. The ONLY thing they can really charge you for when OCing on posted property is "trespass" and unless the owner actually asks you to leave, the logic used to prosecute such a trespass charge is a HUGE stretch of logic and convoluted reasoning...

So yes, a business owner CAN post NO FIREARMS, and that includes OC as well as CC, but there is no specific law regulating OC, so they can't charge you with anything but trespassing...

If a business owner wanted to post a sign that said "no wearing of hats", or "no red shirts allowed" , or "no exposed underwear" it would be valid and legal, and people would have to abide by it or they could be charged with trespassing...

r1dramma

Wachovia (steele creek)

The signs @ the Wachovia Steele Creek branch are no longer up!! When my girlfriend was working @ that branch I remember them being on the doors. Who knows maybe they have become gun friendly.

SuperRuger

GrapeShot is correct on this one Ruger. Private property owners have the right to allow or prohibit whatever they want on their property--just like you do in your home...

I think what you MEANT to say was there is no statutory PUNISHMENT defined by law for the violation of OCing on a posted property. There IS a specific statutory violation and punishment defined for CC on posted property. The ONLY thing they can really charge you for when OCing on posted property is "trespass" and unless the owner actually asks you to leave, the logic used to prosecute such a trespass charge is a HUGE stretch of logic and convoluted reasoning...

So yes, a business owner CAN post NO FIREARMS, and that includes OC as well as CC, but there is no specific law regulating OC, so they can't charge you with anything but trespassing...

If a business owner wanted to post a sign that said "no wearing of hats", or "no red shirts allowed" , or "no exposed underwear" it would be valid and legal, and people would have to abide by it or they could be charged with trespassing...

Thats pretty much what i said i just didn't go into specifics. I used to own a buisness so i know they can ask you to leave even if they don't like the color of your hair. I never said it was "illegal" to post the sign only that it makes no difference wether it is posted or not and they ask you to leave. The same result is trespassing only as far as OC goes. Next time i will try and be more explanitory as i guess i assumed most here would know this but i diddn't consider that some who post here are looking for the answers. I learn as well. I do think it is quite hilarious that owners or people in general think that keeping guns out saves them. This is quite funny. They just don't get it, a criminal is a criminal why, because he has no regard for the law and this is what makes him a criminal. Sometimes i want to ask the owners, "Do you think that someone who is planning on robbing you is going to look at the sign and say i can't rob this place, no guns are allowed", never stopping to think that just maybe if he comes in and sees me standing there with a gun he may go elsewhere or not commit the crime at all and even if he does i may be able to ptotect or save the owner or the other patrons. Im just sayin. Sorry for sounding so defensive about it but i am passionate about the good guys right to bare our arms as we seem to be loosing that right everyday. It really gripes me to no end how people are so against handguns instead of the bad guys that make it that way. Thanks for the post and ill try to be more detailed next time. You are correct the owner can put up what he wants, all i meant was is there is only a signage law for CC.

Dreamer

You are correct the owner can put up what he wants, all i meant was is there is only a signage law for CC.

You've almost got it right...

If private property is posted against CC only, and you get caught CCing, it is a misdemeanor, and is specifically addressed in the CC statutes of NC.

If private property is posted against ALL weapons, and you OC, you are, in fact, guilty of trespass even if the owner doesn't ask you to leave. By disregarding a sign prohibiting a specific act, you have intentionally trespassed, and are guilty if you are addressed by the owner or not. Sure, it's just a "trespass" violation, but case law supports that posted property is posted property, and your violation of such a prohibition is NOT dependent on face-to-face confrontation by the property owner, but rather by your intentional disregard for said signs...

But you are right--it's not a firearms violation--it's trespassing, which is a low-grade misdemeanor.

SuperRuger

Dreamer

Thanks for the detailed clarification. On a side note, we appear to have won a major battle in the arms thing today with the Supreme Courts ruling that the Liberal democratic states of Illinois,NY, and California or any state or local government can't ban handguns as it is our constitutional right to do so. Yahoooooo. However it was a 5-4 vote as i understand it and apparently the Justices are there until they die, retire, or get fired by the prez so we are stuck with the 4 that voted for the ban. i guess the only way for the idiots to get their way is to rewrite the constitution to fit them. I don't know what that would take to do but lets hope that @#%&#@$ president we have can't do that because if he had his way it would have already been done. What do you think.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the detailed clarification. On a side note, we appear to have won a major battle in the arms thing today with the Supreme Courts ruling that the Liberal democratic states of Illinois,NY, and California or any state or local government can't ban handguns as it is our constitutional right to do so. Yahoooooo. However it was a 5-4 vote as i understand it and apparently the Justices are there until they die, retire, or get fired by the prez so we are stuck with the 4 that voted for the ban. i guess the only way for the idiots to get their way is to rewrite the constitution to fit them. I don't know what that would take to do but lets hope that @#%&#@$ president we have can't do that because if he had his way it would have already been done. What do you think.

Justices are appointed for life and cannot be "fired" by the president. The judicial branch is supposed to be separate and distint from the executive and legislative branches of government and not subject to their whims.

Yata hey

Dreamer

Justices are appointed for life and cannot be "fired" by the president. The judicial branch is supposed to be separate and distint from the executive and legislative branches of government and not subject to their whims.

Yes, but they CAN be impeached for various infractions of the law, such as treason, sedition, or criminal behavior.

And a good argument can be made that violating one's oath to uphold the Constitution in the pursuit of a political agenda to achieve political goals that include depriving people of their protected civil rights and voiding parts of the Constitution are both treasonous and seditious...

Not pointing any fingers (cough, Kagan, cough). I'm just sayin...

SuperRuger

Yata hey

I guess that means we are stuck with the ones who voted against it but at least for now it appears we have the majority on our side. Now if we can just get the right ones voted in at the local and state level maybe we can keep things in our favor.

SuperRuger

Yes, but they CAN be impeached for various infractions of the law, such as treason, sedition, or criminal behavior.

And a good argument can be made that violating one's oath to uphold the Constitution in the pursuit of a political agenda to achieve political goals that include depriving people of their protected civil rights and voiding parts of the Constitution are both treasonous and seditious...

Not pointing any fingers (cough, Kagan, cough). I'm just sayin...

The sad thing is we don't have anything to do with those that get appointed so we seem to be at a major disadvantage. Maybe she will do something incredibly stupid and get impeached but i am betting we won't get that lucky.

Maverick9110e

I know this is an older thread but bumping since i recently started carrying a few months ago. Turns out the Wachovia's in North Raleigh, one on falls of neuse and the other on New Falls Of Neuse road are both posted no firearms. I will be writing a letter to them later tonight after work, and depending on the response will be changing my bank to BB&T (assuming they allow) or at least some other bank. The lady today said it's still going to take another year for them to become Wells Fargo officially as far as store front and everything is concerned. The only reason i even went with them is because they were going to be Wells Fargo. Oi!! Has anyone made any progress lately on this Wachovia Bank subject?

Maverick9110e

Ok i got jazzed and decided to type my email up now quick, lol. Here it is:

As a customer of yours I have recently had to go into your North Raleigh locations to deposit checks and other forms of cash. As a person who takes personal responsibility for my own safety I was extremely concerned to see that your locations are posted as a “No Firearms” permitted establishments. I proceeded to do my business as I had to deposit the checks inside with the teller, however I must say that while in your establishment I was extremely afraid for my well being and safety because I had to leave my firearm locked in the car. I do not understand why your company feels the need to strip me of my constitutional rights and also go against state law. Currently there is no law against openly carrying a firearm into a financial establishment in the state of North Carolina. There is already a state law prohibiting concealed carry of a firearm into such an establishment. Please allow me to shed light on two very important points as well. While you are restricting my ability and my rights to protect myself responsibly and lawfully, are you saying that you are taking that responsibility? There is no armed security there for my protection if needed. Again, let me just make this very clear. You and your company are stopping me from taking responsibility for my own safety. Secondly, and this is my most important point to you: Your sign will not stop any illegal use of firearms in your business’. I would assume that since you have posted no firearms allowed signs on your premises you are doing so for what you believe to be a safety measure. There is absolutely no way this is being accomplished in this manner. No criminal at all with the serious intention of committing such a crime will walk up to your establishment with a firearm, see your “No Firearms allowed” signage and then stop and not commit the crime. You are simply stopping law abiding citizens from exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights, and also stripping them of the ability to protect themselves. Unless this matter is rectified and Wachovia Bank removes the signage and permits people to exercise their rights to protect themselves I will be terminating my business with Wachovia. I will also advise everyone possible to do so as well, including my family. I will also be making every attempt to bring this issue into the public spotlight as much as possible. Please I urge you to consider my rights and my safety so that I may continue to be a customer of Wachovia Bank.

Sincerely,
Me

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would suggest paragraph breaks Maverick9110e - it makes reading easier.
You might consider contacting Wells Fargo instead - in fact I would recommend it.

All of the decal/paint gun buster signs have been removed from Wachovia in the Greater Richmond area. The only ones that still remain are those imprinted/stamped in the metal push bar of a few doors. Wells Fargo should take a more pro-active stance on this as it sends mixed messages.

Unfortunately, you will find BB&T is notoriously anti-gun.
http://vagunforum.net/general-discussion/bank-gun-free-zone-fails-again-t3648-33526.html

Maverick9110e

well got a response back already, not what i hoped but i'll keep pursuing...

Dear me,

Thank you for contacting Wachovia. My name is Latoya P, and I am happy
to assist you.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us about our policies with
firearms. I understand your frustration and I apologize for any
inconvenience caused. I have filed a report with our Customer Listening
Group. This group collects all comments, ideas, and suggestions
submitted to us through email, the phone, and the Financial centers.
They create a monthly report from the data gathered and it is reviewed
by our Executive Committee. The committee determines what actions will
be taken, when they will be taken, and allocates the resources necessary
to make the change. I know it’s not the immediate change that you would
like, but I can assure you that your voice and your opinion will be
heard.

My goal today was to provide you a complete and helpful answer. Thank
you for banking with Wachovia.

Sincerely,

Latoya P
Online Services Team
1-800-WACHOVIA (922-4684)

Your Case ID is 53983233.

SO i encourage all you guys to write some letters and get this fixed!!

Last edited: