• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wachovia Bank?

Sc0tt

In Asheboro the Wachovia is unposted and the SECU is posted "No Concealed Weapons".

Woot Woot! :banana:

I dont OC in banks, just seems to me like your asking for trouble. But Im really considering it becuase its the one place that you might really need it.

Maverick9110e

exactly my thoughts, lol. I figure i'd meet the most sheeps there. Just Gun and Bank in the same envrionment i imagine would cause most sheeple to be on edge, but honestly next to the gas stations and ATM's it's the place i feel the most like something would happen where i would need it.

Dreamer

"Maverick9110e",

Don't waste your time with BB&T. They are notoriously anti-gun. And they have, in the last few years, gotten progressively more insane policies on holding deposits, overdraft fees and other fees.

I was with BB&T for over 10 years, across 3 states of residency. In the past they were a good bank but in the last few years, their policies and fees became so intolerable that I finally ditched them, and moved all my banking to SECU.

SECU doesn't screw me out of my deposits for a week with holds, they don't have obscene "processing fees", their overdraft fees are small, an they are OC-friendly.

Plus they are a local Credit Union, so they aren't part of the Federal Reserve system, which is the best reason of all to bank with them...

If there is ANY way you can get into a Credit Union, DO IT.

Banks are evil.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

Maverick9110e: If you can't join State Employees Credit Union, the Coastal Federal Credit Union is a good one too.

Dreamer

Woot Woot! :banana:

I dont OC in banks, just seems to me like your asking for trouble. But Im really considering it becuase its the one place that you might really need it.

Well, I hope you're not CCing in banks in NC then, because THAT is illegal...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html

NCGS § 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Dreamer

Isn't the prohibition you highlighted conditioned by the clause that says those listed places are only prohibited IF they have posted the prohibition? Seems to me that there is no blanket prohibition against carrying into financial institutions.

The reference to "posted" premises comes AFTER the phrase "or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways". It does NOT modify the other places listed, like Financial institutions, federal buildings, correctional institutions, etc. the word "or" stands as a "marker" indicating that the phrase after it is separate and different than the preceding list.

Let me make it easier to understand, using some line breaks:

A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun

in
the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2,

in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1,

in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law,

in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution,

or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

Does that make more sense now?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll look into them but is like to fight Wachovia to change this nonsense

At the time of the merger/takeover, Wells Fargo said that all of their branches/affiliates would be honoring the state law within the state where each was located.

That has pretty much happened here.

Dreamer

At the time of the merger/takeover, Wells Fargo said that all of their branches/affiliates would be honoring the state law within the state where each was located.

That has pretty much happened here.

Grape, it's VERY different in VA. In VA there is no statutory prohibition on CC in a bank. OC is widely acknowledges by LEOs and businesses as being legal, thanks to the GREAT work by folks like you and the people at VCDL.

Here in NC--the BANKING CAPITAL of the USA, I might add (there are more "regular" banks HQ'd in NC than any other state)--we have a statutory prohibition on CC in financial institutions. And the Bankers here seem to fear the very idea of armed law-abiding citizens (gee, I wonder WHY they have any reason to be uncomfortable with that idea?...)

Since most people who are not 2A activists like us assume that if CC is prohibited then OC must SURELY also be prohibited, there is a lot of confusion in NC.

Almost ALL the large national chain banks prohibit OC in NC--BB&T, Wachovia, Citibank, Bank of America, RBS.

Most Credit Unions in NC do not prohibit OC, but many are posted against CC (which is technically unnecessary because it is already Statutorily prohibited).

The hostility toward OC by banks in NC is due primarily to the fact that this is where many big national-chain banks have their headquarters, and therefore the banking industry in NC sees itself as being essentially above the law, and their own "corporate rights" trump Fundamental Human Rights. It has nothing to do with "private property rights" and everything to do with oligarchical hubris.

At least this is my take on it, having spoken in person with many local bank presidents, and the HQ's of several banks based in NC on this issue. The level of smug, self-agrandizing elitism is palpable with many of these folks. I actually had a bank manager in Greenville tell me that he didn't believe that ANYONE should be allowed to carry a gun ANYWHERE unless they were a cop or soldier...

The fact that NC has more bank robberies (and they ALWAYS start with a BG pulling a CONCEALED gun out of his pants or coat) per capita than ANY other state (I'm not counting the MASSIVE bank robberies in DC or on Wall Street perpetrated by Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, and the Federal Reserve Banks...) apparently doesn't register with the owners of the big banks in NC. The idea that a law-abiding citizen OCing while in a bank might actually DETER crime is unfathomable to these folks.

The owners of the big banks here seem to actually have adopted the Brady Party Line that the mere presence of a gun AUTOMATICALLY and In EVERY INSTANCE turns otherwise law-abiding citizens into murderous, bloodthirsty maniacs. But then again, with the criminal record that some of these banks have with regards to defrauding the American Public, it should come as no surprise that they might be uncomfortable with the idea of armed Law-Abiding Citizens in their establishments. Didn't the FBI publish a study a few years ago that said that the biggest fear that incarcerated felons had was that they would meet an armed CITIZEN during the commission of their crimes?...

Birds of a feather...

glockaholic

Regarding Coastal Federal Credit Union, the branch in Wake Forest, at least, doesn't tolerate OC. The manager initiated a conversation with me my third or fourth time carrying there (about a year ago) and verbally requested that I stop carrying in the branch. I followed up with a phone call to a district manager who told me I was not the first to open carry at CFCU and that the board had finally decided to "deal with it" (his words) and post against firearms at every branch. I argued that I had a right to protect myself if they weren't going to post armed guards and metal detectors at the entrance to every branch. He ignored my argument and kept saying the board thought it best for the "safety" of their customers that all firearms were banned. Incidentally, I have yet to see any CFCU branch post against carrying. Even the Wake Forest branch is still not posted. Very confusing.

elixin77

If its not posted, carry away. We don't ask for permission - if its not posted, then we can not abide by a sign that is nonexistent.

Sc0tt

Well, I hope you're not CCing in banks in NC then, because THAT is illegal...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html

No Becuase I dont CC Becuase I dont have a CHP end of story :lol:

If its not posted, carry away. We don't ask for permission - if its not posted, then we can not abide by a sign that is nonexistent.

Maybe but have you ever argued with an ignorent cop who is clearly in the wrong trying to exsplain that your not doing anything illegal? Its a lousing battle and even if they dont pin you with Firearms charge theyll find somthing to pin on you just to prove a point

Last edited:

Dreamer

Maybe but have you ever argued with an ignorent cop who is clearly in the wrong trying to exsplain that your not doing anything illegal? Its a lousing battle and even if they dont pin you with Firearms charge theyll find somthing to pin on you just to prove a point

Listen, and learn, grasshopper...

In fact, "exilin77" HAS had a discussion with a Pitt County Deputy over this VERY issue. Some frantic anti in his Credit Union called him in as a MWAG, and th eDeputy contacted "exilin77" by phone within the hour.

Luckily, "exilin77" is a very well-read, articulate, and level-headed individual. He let the Deputy know that they were wrong--OC is in fact TOTALLY legal in NC banks. His assertions were apparently so convincing and articulate, that the Deputies went back and did the research and found he was RIGHT. They had enough integrity and professionalism to call him back later and inform him that he was right, and they actually apologized.

This incident COULD have panned out VERY badly for "exilin77", but he was level-headed, didn't get argumentative, cited the law, and was polite and cordial. And he was lucky enough to be interacting with an LEO who actually believes in the Rule of Law, and had the integrity to research a statute that he didn't know, rather than just pull some made-up law out of his hindquarters...

So, yes, in fact, it is ENTIRELY possible to convince an LEO who is wrong that they are wrong--you just have to use tact, cite the law, and appeal to their sense of justice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Listen, and learn, grasshopper...

In fact, "exilin77" HAS had a discussion with a Pitt County Deputy over this VERY issue. Some frantic anti in his Credit Union called him in as a MWAG, and th eDeputy contacted "exilin77" by phone within the hour.

Luckily, "exilin77" is a very well-read, articulate, and level-headed individual. He let the Deputy know that they were wrong--OC is in fact TOTALLY legal in NC banks. His assertions were apparently so convincing and articulate, that the Deputies went back and did the research and found he was RIGHT. They had enough integrity and professionalism to call him back later and inform him that he was right, and they actually apologized.

This incident COULD have panned out VERY badly for "exilin77", but he was level-headed, didn't get argumentative, cited the law, and was polite and cordial. And he was lucky enough to be interacting with an LEO who actually believes in the Rule of Law, and had the integrity to research a statute that he didn't know, rather than just pull some made-up law out of his hindquarters...

So, yes, in fact, it is ENTIRELY possible to convince an LEO who is wrong that they are wrong--you just have to use tact, cite the law, and appeal to their sense of justice.

We can do this the easy way or the hard way is indeed a 2 way street. Everybody would normally pick the easy way ........ if it reasonably possible.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
The reference to "posted" premises comes AFTER the phrase "or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways". It does NOT modify the other places listed, like Financial institutions, federal buildings, correctional institutions, etc. the word "or" stands as a "marker" indicating that the phrase after it is separate and different than the preceding list.

Let me make it easier to understand, using some line breaks:

Does that make more sense now?

No, I read it the other way, where it lists all of those places and modifies the list by imposing the requirement that the business or location has been posted.

If your reading was correct, why would it be necessary for any facility to post a sign denying customers the right to carry in their establishment? It would simply be a matter of law that everyone was supposed to know, ignorance of which would not be an excuse.

It's silly to argue grammar and punctuation and to assign meaning based on a comma. Get an opinion from the AG.

Dreamer

No, I read it the other way, where it lists all of those places and modifies the list by imposing the requirement that the business or location has been posted.

Then you are reading it wrong.

If your reading was correct, why would it be necessary for any facility to post a sign denying customers the right to carry in their establishment? It would simply be a matter of law that everyone was supposed to know, ignorance of which would not be an excuse.

They assume that people already know that it is illegal to carry in Federal buildings, and other such properties that are listed. You will notice that this list is comprised almost entirely of government properties--federal, state, local, police, sheriffs, jails, courts, etc...

They then say it is illegal to carry in "any other premises" that post, because that would include private properties. Many private property businesses DO NOT post, and there are NO federal laws prohibiting carry in ANY businesses in the USA (and in fact MOST states don't prohibit carry in banks--only NC, MT, and one or two other states prohibit CC in banks)

It's silly to argue grammar and punctuation and to assign meaning based on a comma.

Yeah, I don't know why that putz Alan Gura is wasting his time on with cases like Heller, McDonald, etc. Arguing over grammar, punctuation, and the linguistic subtleties of the Law is a complete waste of time...

Get an opinion from the AG.

Already did.
I've got the NC AG's office programmed into my phone, and I call them once or twice almost EVERY month to ask them questions like this. Any time some weird topic like this comes up, where the statute is written in a confusing way, or we find a law that contradicts another law, I call them.

Sometimes they give me a good answer (like with questions about banks), sometimes they blow smoke up my a$$ (like with State of Emergency questions).

That's what I am basing this post on. I've already DONE the footwork.

I'm not afraid to call the AG. But frankly, I think they are on to me. The answers I've been getting lately sem to be more and more like BS non-answers. Two years ago, when I'd call them, they would be REALLY helpful. These days, they just seem to want to feed me lines of BS, and when I quote the actual statutes back to them, they get angry and tell me I should speak to a private attorney...

Maverick9110e

Ok, got a response back, totally useless (no surprise):

Dear Me,

Thank you for contacting Wachovia. My name is Donna L, and I am happy
to assist you.

Our Customer Listening Group does not respond to the customer directly
regarding the comment and concerns that were submitted to them. You may
choose to write our Corporate Office at:

Wachovia Corporation
301 South College Street
Charlotte, NC 28288

You may send an email to Wells Fargo via there website, wellsfargo.com.
I thank you for your patience and understanding.

My goal today was to provide you a complete and helpful answer. Thank
you for banking with Wachovia.

Sincerely,

Donna L
Online Services Team
1-800-WACHOVIA (922-4684)

Your Case ID is 53983233.

Last edited: