• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How should I have handled being asked to unchamber a round?

Ltp0wer

imported post

I was OCing at Big 5 Sporting Goods in Chandler, one morning before I headed to the range. This was on a tuesday morning, and I needed to purchase some 20 and 12 gauge ammunition.

I headed towards the gun counter, which was populated by a store manager, and got his attention. He asked what I was carrying, and I told him what model my gun was. He asked me if it was loaded, to which I replied, "Yes", then he asked if there was a round chambered, to which I again responded with "Yes". He then asked me to unchamber the round, right in the store. I did, and he thanked me. When I asked him why he had me do that, he told me it's because if some 90 year old woman comes up to him all afraid, he'd feel more comfortable telling her she has nothing to be afraid of.

I then proceeded to the purchase counter where he ran the register, and again, he thanked me for doing that for him.

I'm only 18, and I've had less than a year of carry experience. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. Did I handle it correctly? In a perfect world, I would have told him that I wasn't going to unchamber a round and that I was going to take my business elsewhere, but there isn't another place to purchase ammo that was close, and I was already running late to the range.

Thanks for reading.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ltp0wer wrote:
SNIP Did I handle it correctly?
You did fine for your level of experience.

I think it depends a lot on the circumstances.

Ideally,he would have a designated safe area for clearing your gun, but I cannot recall ever seeing such ideal at a gun store or sporting goods store. I mention it here only for perspective.

Accidents and negligent discharges do happen. The less you handle the gun, the less likely it will be fired unintentionally.

In a small sporting goods store with just me and the requester, I might just ask him, "Right here?" You see, I can't imagine anyone who is not already comfortable around guns making that request. But, I would ask as a courtesy.

In a little bit larger store, or with more people around, I might walk outside to the grass. I've done this a few times when I spotted a holster I might like and wanted to test the fit for the gun.

In a chain store with parking lot all around and lots of people, I'd decline just to avoid scaring any 90-year old ladies who happen to see the clearing activity.Depending on how bad I wanted whatever I came for, and how I was treated, I might go back to my car and clear. Or, just leave, making a mental note to clear in the car before entering the store next time.

I'm just giving examples of how different circumstances might affect what you want to do.

The Big Guy

imported post

Handling your firearm in a public place is not wise. First, anytime you handle your firearm there is a chance of an accidental discharge. Secondly, immagine what someone else walking through the store would think if they saw you with a gun in your hand. In the future I would recomend that you tell the requestor that it is your policy to only draw your firearm to clean it, lock it away at home, or to use it.

TBG

InspctrClouseau

imported post

Personally, I would not have unchambered a round inside of the store. I would have told the manager that I wasn't comfortable with his request, butthat I'dgladly comply withone of two options:

1. Buy what I'm already in there for and leave.

2. Buy nothing and leave immediately, never to return.

...but that's just me.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
Handling your firearm in a public place is not wise. First, anytime you handle your firearm there is a chance of an accidental discharge. Secondly, immagine what someone else walking through the store would think if they saw you with a gun in your hand. In the future I would recomend that you tell the requestor that it is your policy to only draw your firearm to clean it, lock it away at home, or to use it.

TBG
I agree completely. The manager was out of line to ask. A properly holstered gun will harm no-one, but one out of the holster and being manipulated is a potential accident. Should it happen again, perhaps you should politely explain that unnecessary handling of a firearm in a public place is hazardous and you decline to do so. If he insists, just leave.

Packer fan

imported post

IMHO If a 90 year old woman was in a gun shop or a sporting shopshe wouldn't be scared of guns.

Ask him why he wouldn'ttell her any diffrant? It only takes a second to chamber again anyway. He was the old woman he was talking about.

zekester

imported post

I am sorry, but if I have to pull my weapon from my holster in public, that thing is going off.

aadvark

imported post

I agree..., however; I always Carry with the full Clip or Magazine inserted into the Firearm-well, but never with a Round Chambered or Racked into the Firing Position. Furthermore, I am sure to engage the Safety prior to inserting the Clip or Magazine, and I Carry in Public in much the same manner.

Although modernFirearms are Specially-Crafted Machinery..., I try to err on the side of caution.

This may sound like Utah Carry, but I think that is more safe than full-blown Loaded Carry while in Public, unless it is nessecary to do so.

I think that another way to say the same thing is to suggest that my Firearm is alwaysat least two actions away from Firing, unless it needs to be ready to Fire.

However, I am uncertain if this puts me ina disadventageous Tactical Position...

PavePusher

If they have a clearing barrel or equivalent, I might do it... or I might go shop elsewhere. Depends on circumstances.

Absent a proper firearms clearing zone? No way in heck. And I'd tell them exactly why it is unsafe, then go shop somewhere with competent Homo Sapiens.

*1911_man*

Personally, i would NEVER unchamber a round, especially in public. The law says i can have one in the chamber, and thats how i carry, even with guns that have no external safety, like a glock. I agree that the manager person was out of line asking you to do that. I have been asked to un chamber a round before, and i respectively declined.
IMO you should have told him that you were NOT going to unload your gun, and taken your business elsewhere. (wal mart has cheaper shotgun ammo anyway). BTW i am 19, so i know where you are coming from.

We-the-People

18 years myself....In the US Marine Corps..... absolutely NEVER handle a weapon in such a location. They don't jump out of holsters and go off on their own. They DO go off when being manipulated.

I'd have said to the manager.... "finger ******* my weapon in public is much more likely to alarm one fo your customers, have the police show up, guns drawn, or result in an accidental discharge. Are you sure you really want to take that risk?"

But then I'd have been really nice in my tone and facial expressions while saying it..... more like Gunny R. Lee Ermey ONLY if he had been a beligerent twit about it, which from the OP was NOT the case.

Machoduck

I think that this thread is a microcosm of life in our politically correct nation. Anyone with a complaint or who thinks another's actions are "inappropriate" is given automatic primacy over anyone, no matter what rights of his might be trampled in the process. Perhaps we should change our name from United States of America to United States of the Appropriate.

In this case, the manager should have told the 90 yo woman about the dangers involved in her request (if she even existed). Tip of the hat to Packer fan. If the manager would not educate the woman on safety issues, he should not be the manager. If he could not educate her he should not be the manager.

O.P.: ya done good!

MD

Sonora Rebel

I'd never have done it... Bizarre request at best. The manager had no authority to do that... Tell you to leave... OK, (it's private property 'n all that) but not unload.

Ca Patriot

I would NOT have done it.

Loaded guns are carried for MY self defense, not for the "peace of mind" of random 90yr old women.

Also, unchambering a round just opens up the possibility of an accident and the chance someone sees it and freaks out.

GWbiker

I always carry "one in the pipe" around Tucson.

Never been asked to unchamber a round. If asked, my answer would:"Nope. See ya'"

AL Ranger

Unchamber a round...not in public. If a 90 year old asks, just lie to her. She won't know the difference anyhow. If he wants me to unchamber a round, point me to the nearest target with a proper backstop and I'll be more than happy to.