Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Situational awareness is a must!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/suff...eries?cid=ltst

    By Cindy Clayton
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © June 25, 2010

    SUFFOLK

    Police are investigating two robberies of motorists who both told investigators that they were followed by another vehicle.

    About 11:22 p.m., a man was driving in the 1300 block of Mill Run Court off Wilroy Road and thought he was being followed by police, according to a city news release. When he arrived him, two men robbed him at gunpoint.

    The robbers frisked the man in his front yard, but did not find any money so they left, the release said.

    The robbers fled in a dark, 1990s model Honda that was last seen going east on Portsmouth Boulevard, the release said.

    At 11:28 p.m., a driver was in the 300 block of Carriage Court in the Woodlake neighborhood when he was robbed by two men who had parked down the street, the release said.

    The men, who were armed, ran up to the man when he got out of his vehicle, the release said. They robbed him of his wallet and cell phone left in a vehicle that appeared to be a Ford Escort or a Honda Civic.

    The description of the robbers in the first incident was vague. The robbers in both incidents are described as black. One of the men in the first incident wore a black hooded sweatshirt and the other wore a black shirt, the release said.

    In the second incident,one of the men wore a black bandana and a white T-shirt. The other man was wearing all black.

    The robber who was armed was described as 6 feet tall and 180 to 220 pounds with short, shaved hair, according to the release.

  2. #2
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845
    Having been followed a couple times by someone with road rage, I usually lead them to a populated area or even to the police station if possible. They seem to lose interest when they figure out where you've led them. They seem to get "tunnel vision" while following you. After their departure, you go inside and file a police report about the incident (complete with a description of their vehicle and tag #).

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Good advice from MSC 45ACP. Remember that if you think something is not right you can pull out the cellphone and communicate with the cops as you are driving to wards a safe place. Giving the dispatcher a running commentary on the vehicle description, the description of the occupants, and where you are and are heading makes it easier for the good guys (Funny how they are GGs when we need/want them. aint it?) to intercept you.

    And remember that if you really, truely believe that your life is in danger the legal theory of necessity (not sure that's the exact legal term - Citizen and/or User will be here soon to fix it for me) allows you to run red lights (if you can do so without endangering others), exceed speed limits (same caveat) and otherwise bend a few traffic laws.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Good advice from MSC 45ACP. Remember that if you think something is not right you can pull out the cellphone and communicate with the cops as you are driving to wards a safe place. Giving the dispatcher a running commentary on the vehicle description, the description of the occupants, and where you are and are heading makes it easier for the good guys (Funny how they are GGs when we need/want them. aint it?) to intercept you.

    And remember that if you really, truely believe that your life is in danger the legal theory of necessity (not sure that's the exact legal term - Citizen and/or User will be here soon to fix it for me) allows you to run red lights (if you can do so without endangering others), exceed speed limits (same caveat) and otherwise bend a few traffic laws.
    Funny you mentioned road rage. This is the video I took yesterday. Classic RR and lots of blood to show for it.
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=44356

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Good advice from MSC 45ACP. Remember that if you think something is not right you can pull out the cellphone and communicate with the cops as you are driving to wards a safe place. Giving the dispatcher a running commentary on the vehicle description, the description of the occupants, and where you are and are heading makes it easier for the good guys (Funny how they are GGs when we need/want them. aint it?) to intercept you.

    And remember that if you really, truely believe that your life is in danger the legal theory of necessity (not sure that's the exact legal term - Citizen and/or User will be here soon to fix it for me) allows you to run red lights (if you can do so without endangering others), exceed speed limits (same caveat) and otherwise bend a few traffic laws.
    Years ago coming off of I-95 N into downtown Richmond very late at night, I went up one-way streets the wrong way trying to shake a carload of crazies chasing me. Funny thing but when they saw they were in front of the police station, they could not leave fast enough.

  6. #6
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Funny you mentioned road rage. This is the video I took yesterday. Classic RR and lots of blood to show for it.
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=44356
    I hope they catch the scumbags that caused this accident. Judging from the "eyewitness" interview, it sounds like both drivers were experiencing a bit of Road Rage. I saw someone on the ground. I hope no one was killed. These kind of senseless acts are so preventable.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I have abut an hour of video and a lot from the other two eye witnesses. I don't think there's any doubt both vehicles were at fault. Both were mad and pushing the point.

    A nurse who was a friend of one of the boys parents, asked me to video the whole scene because the Sheriff's Dept screws up everything they do. I already had, so I guess they may give it to the CA.
    I sure won't.

    Interesting evening though. The stuff I shot from under the truck while I was trying to figure out if the kid was pinned, is the most graphic I've ever gotten.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Louisiana, by way of Virginia
    Posts
    11
    Incidents like the OP are another reason to never get too low on gas. Some areas in western and southern Virginia are remote enough to where you need that extra gallon or two to get to a safe area. down here where I live it is the same way.

    As for the road rage incident, I try to avoid being involved in them. If a driver is too aggressive (or [I] find myself becoming aggressive) I'll pull off somewhere and stop. A while back on I-10 to New Orleans I hit the windshield washer fluid to get some bug goo off. It was about 0630 and there was one car a few hundred meters behind me. Next thing I know, they come flying up (I was running about 75 in a 70), cut me off, then slam on the brakes and start driving about 40 while emptying their windshield washer reservoir. I just considered it a free carwash and I think they got more pissed when I merely slowed down with them and didn't react. Sad thing is, I was in a government vehicle with Army decals on the side and clearly not just some ******* trying to play games with a civilian on the highway. Just another reason why I believe all military vehicles should come with a lightbar...

  9. #9
    Regular Member ElevenBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke Virginia
    Posts
    90
    This book was very educational for me many years ago, I feel it is a must read for everyone.

    http://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Se.../dp/0553195190



    HTH,
    Andrew

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NoVa, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by fm2176 View Post
    Incidents like the OP are another reason to never get too low on gas. Some areas in western and southern Virginia are remote enough to where you need that extra gallon or two to get to a safe area. down here where I live it is the same way.

    As for the road rage incident, I try to avoid being involved in them. If a driver is too aggressive (or [I] find myself becoming aggressive) I'll pull off somewhere and stop. A while back on I-10 to New Orleans I hit the windshield washer fluid to get some bug goo off. It was about 0630 and there was one car a few hundred meters behind me. Next thing I know, they come flying up (I was running about 75 in a 70), cut me off, then slam on the brakes and start driving about 40 while emptying their windshield washer reservoir. I just considered it a free carwash and I think they got more pissed when I merely slowed down with them and didn't react. Sad thing is, I was in a government vehicle with Army decals on the side and clearly not just some ******* trying to play games with a civilian on the highway. Just another reason why I believe all military vehicles should come with a lightbar...
    Hey even w/the light bar there are some crazy people out there. At work, in my cruiser (marked), someone laid the horn at me and flicked me off when I was looking back at my prisoner when the light turned green. ha. I was transporting a prisoner and he laid on his back (thus getting ready to kick the window out). Road rage brings out the worst in people.

  11. #11
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    > This book was very educational for me many years ago, I feel it is a must read for everyone.


    Andrew,
    I agree that Ayoob wrote a very good book, and it IS a must-read, but he has made no effort to keep it up to date. Keep that in mind while reading/learning.

  12. #12
    Regular Member wolf-father's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    130
    I have personal knowage. One of them did not know that he was followed. He just remembers someone doing a u turn in an intersection. They went down another street and waited for him to get out. And had a good sum of money on him.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    308
    WF- Sorry that happened to your friend. I was actually looking at a house a few months back one street over from where this happend, nice neighborhood... which is why they probably choose that place!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •