Thread: Training for OC

Post imported post

How often do you who OC train on proper carry, retention and use techniques? Also what techniques do you use to train?

Post imported post

terminal.logic wrote:
    How often do you who OC train on proper carry, retention and use techniques? Also what techniques do you use to train?
    I'm a certified firearms and self defense instructor. I take at least one training course myself yearly and, of course, learn much each time I teach a class. I read a wide variety of material on other/new methods and trainers, adopting new things when they prove out in practice. I dry fire or do other practice at least once a week, often more.

Carry, retention and use are also related to location in many ways, so I don't have some of the issues that would be of concern to people in metropolitan areas. No one size fits all.

I do find that some people tend to make all of this FAR more complicated and esoteric than is necessary. Learn the basics, adapt for your environment, learn something new often, practice the basics regularly and make them a part of your muscle memory. Other than that, go on with the rest of your life.

I carry to live... not live to carry.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET

There has not yet been documented a successful simple snatch from a LAC.

Either we are equal or we are not. We are not cop-wannabes, or CQB troops, we are Legally Armed Citizens. Training is the NRA raison d'etre.

Post imported post

The reason I ask is, judging by this forum, there is great push to carry and not much mention of training.

Banned
    Mandatory and/or required training is just another infringement like licensing and registration.

Quote Originally Posted by terminal.logic View Post
    The reason I ask is, judging by this forum, there is great push to carry and not much mention of training.
    There's not much mention of training because this forum is more about the open carry "movement" than about the techniques and tactics of open carry. My own impression is that folks here understand that they are responsible for their own training and practice, and that there are perhaps other, more appropriate fourms to go to in order to discuss the specifics of carry, retention, and use (whatever you mean by that term - it's awfully broad).

Looking at your post count you are relatively new, although you have been registered for 6 months. Welcome to OCDO, and don't get scared off by the response you received to this thread. My own answer to your question is: I practice every day. I review what I have learned in formal and informal training, and do both mental-imaging and physical drills. About once a week I get a buddy to do retention drills with - he does not seem to mind going at very reduced speed, but objects to real-time as he tends to get appendages broken if I do my part properly. I also object to being the aggressor in retention drills at anything but greatly reduced speed for the same reason.

stay safe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    terminal.logic wrote: I'm a certified firearms and self defense instructor. I take at least one training course myself yearly and, of course, learn much each time I teach a class. I read a wide variety of material on other/new methods and trainers, adopting new things when they prove out in practice. I dry fire or do other practice at least once a week, often more.

Carry, retention and use are also related to location in many ways, so I don't have some of the issues that would be of concern to people in metropolitan areas. No one size fits all.

I do find that some people tend to make all of this FAR more complicated and esoteric than is necessary. Learn the basics, adapt for your environment, learn something new often, practice the basics regularly and make them a part of your muscle memory. Other than that, go on with the rest of your life.

I carry to live... not live to carry.
    +1 I am not a firearms, nor a self defense instructor, however I spent 10+ years in the Marines and the Last 20+ years in LE (Corrections). I have had extensive training in the use of deadly force and weapons use / retention, the key is Practice! Practice often, Practice what you will use when needed. If you do not practice, you will not do it when needed ! Practice, Practice often !
    Semper Fi
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET

There has not yet been documented a successful simple snatch from a LAC.
    Actually there is a thread here abouts that describes the robbery of an OCer. Granted it's not a snatch. And it's only one.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!