• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona Daily Star still pushing an agenda?

PavePusher

After reading the following articles in the ADS, I wrote the below paragraphs to the paper. DOn't know if anyone will take notice or not, but I took a shot at it.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/article_17dcd200-7e25-11df-abad-001cc4c002e0.html
http://azstarnet.com/sports/footbal...cle_6e12236e-ca5a-5e57-b8f4-5f4cf1838f1e.html
http://azstarnet.com/sports/footbal...cle_50b70ab2-6dac-5712-9e52-220a284057fa.html

Re: Your articles of Tuesday, June 22 (Arizona Wildcats football: Wide receiver arrested, suspended from team), Wednesday, June 23 (Receiver suspended following gun arrest) and Saturday, June 26 (TPD report: Receiver denied having gun).

Firstly, in Wednesday's printing, your reporter, Ryan Finley, stated "It is unknown whether the gun was registered in Dean's name". Apparently, fact checking is not part of Finley's resume, nor part of the Arizona Daily Stars's operations. As you should well know by now, there is no "gun registration" in Arizona, nor in most of the nation.

Secondly, in Saturday's article, Finley continues this deception/misconstruction by writing "It is unknown whether Dean has a gun permit". There is no such thing as a "gun permit" in Arizona and, again, in most of the country. Arizona follows both the State and Federal Constitution, meaning that any non-prohibited person may own firearms without needing to beg permission from the government. We do have a "Concealed Weapons Permit" that allows Citizens to carry concealed weapons (will no longer be required within the state at the end of July), but those same items may be carried openly with no government intrusion.

Due to the fact that this information is well known and easy to find, it can only be presumed that such distortions are purposeful. Please cease and desist in attempting to perpetuate the falsehood that Citizens must seek out government permission to exercise their Constitutionally enumerated and protected Civil Rights.

PavePusher, USAF

I did not take any position on the student/player's actions, sounds like he was not engaging in lawful, well-intentioned conduct, but there could always be more to the story than what got into the paper...

PavePusher

http://azstarnet.com/sports/footbal...cle_186969a1-08b2-5a1d-9327-980830f47ea2.html

"Wide receiver Delashaun Dean will transfer from the Arizona Wildcats football program, a week after being arrested and charged with misdemeanor possession of a concealed weapon.

Dean told the Star on Saturday that he will choose a Division II school, likely either Central Washington or Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Dean, 21, was suspended by coach Mike Stoops shortly after details of his arrest became public. The two talked last week, Dean said, and agreed he should transfer.

SNIP

The Wildcats wide receiver said he never "flashed" the gun to anybody. Dean arrived at the restaurant in a friend's car, he said, while another buddy drove his Chrysler. Upon arriving at the restaurant, Dean said, he went to put the gun in his car only to find it locked. Rather than enter IHOP with his gun to ask a friend for his keys, Dean said, he stashed it underneath his car.

"It was registered in my name," he said. "I didn't have an altercation with anybody. It was my gun. That was my legal right. That was my constitutional right."

Dean said he carries the gun for protection - "not to get cool points, or anything like that." Dean said he was unaware of Stoops' no-firearms policy until he broke the rule."

At this point, the kid is an idiot. I'd also like to know how his gun is "registered in his name". Perhaps instead of transferring (presumably so he can continue to play football), he should actually get into some class-rooms and learn something. Sigh.

TOF

If he bought the guns new from a dealer they are in fact registered. NICS forms are maintained forever at the dealers. The factory maintains records as to which dealer receives a given serial number etc. The registry is scattered rather than in one physical location but exists none the less. Any of you that think your dealers records are not available to law enforcement are misinformed. They may not be readily available but are available under certain conditions.