• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GFL? and OPEN CARRY

Jacksdad08

I am an active duty military member moving to Fort Stewart. I have several questions in one post.

1 what is a GFL?
2 Do I need a GFL because I am active duty?
3 Do I need a class in order to get a concealed weapons permit or does being active duty count?
4 What do I need to do if traveling around in my car, Can I have my gun Loaded or not?
5 Does my gun need to be visible, or can it be concealed?
6 Do I need my Concealed weaps permit to open carry?
Thank you to any who reply

Neeslycrunch

GFL is a Georgia Firearms Licenses which is now called a GWL or Georgia Weapons Licenses.
I don't think you will need a GWL, but you are eligible for a GWL. I would apply for a GWL just to be safe.
No classes are required for a GWL. Look up GA Senate Bill 308 for specific requirements concerning eligibility and specifics about GA gun law.
Anyone traveling in a vehicle in GA who is eligible for a GWL may carry a loaded weapon openly or concealed in their vehicle.
A GWL allows Open and Concealed Carry.

Fallschirjmäger

1 what is a GFL?
Georgia Firearms License which is now the Georgia Weapons License

2 Do I need a GFL because I am active duty?
Technically no, you are legally able to carry under the authority of the Georgia Code

3 Do I need a class in order to get a concealed weapons permit or does being active duty count?
No class required, active duty or not

4 What do I need to do if traveling around in my car, Can I have my gun Loaded or not?
Your car is treated the same as your home so long as you are eligible to get a GGL/GWL. Loaded or unloaded, visible or concealed, and no requirement to inform law enforcement if you do not desire to do so.

5 Does my gun need to be visible, or can it be concealed?
Either as suits you or the situation.

6 Do I need my Concealed weapons permit to open carry?
Not while you are in the service of the US or the State of Georgia. It has been suggested however, that you obtain one just in the off chance that you meet someone ... ill informed.

See Military and no GFL for a good discussion of the subject.

Last edited:

Jacksdad08

6 Do I need my Concealed weapons permit to open carry?
Not while you are in the service of the US or the State of Georgia. It has been suggested however, that you obtain one just in the off chance that you meet someone ... ill informed.

See Military and no GFL for a good discussion of the subject.

What If I just printed out a copy of the code pertaining to my situation would that be good enough I mean if I pull out my ID and I pull out a copy of the georgia code stating its ok and show it to the ill informed person do you think that would work

Fallschirjmäger

The problem with reprinting the Code and carrying it, it that it can look like this - - -

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130
Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they remain certified whether employed by the state or a political subdivision of the state or another state or a political subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Military personnel in the service of the state or of the United States, who shall be addressed as "Your Majesty" and entitled to sleep with the above mentioned individual's daughters and be authorized to play with the lights and siren on the way to the station.

Very few officers would trust anything just printed off the net because it very well could say Anything.

Fallschirjmäger

Personally....
What I do is carry in a pocket or at least in the car, is a copy of the Georgia Code produced by Pocket Press Books for less than $10.00 direct.
Lots of interesting things you an ear mark, my copy has seven or eight earmarked pages.

Comes in a very handy pocket size:
Police.jpg

Liberty Outfitters Inc
116 S Commerce St
Hinesville GA 31313
912 877 7627

Last edited:

Jacksdad08

Personally....
What I do is carry in a pocket or at least in the car, is a copy of the Georgia Code produced by Pocket Press Books for less than $10.00 direct.
Lots of interesting things you an ear mark, my copy has seven or eight earmarked pages.

Comes in a very handy pocket size:
Police.jpg

Liberty Outfitters Inc
116 S Commerce St
Hinesville GA 31313
912 877 7627
Thanks man I really Appreciate it I am going to get my GWL but I want to be able to carry in the mean time. Im also from florida so the reciprocity is a good thing too. I think I am going to like georgia. also one more question so can I open carry loaded??

aadvark

Maybe soon there will be one day where we will not nee a GWL to Openly Carry a Pistol at all.

rmodel65

GA permit is good to have as it will still be good even if you move or get transferred etc and if you dont have a permit with reciprocity with Florida already the GWL will allow for florida carry

aadvark

Georgia Carry, Georgia's No Comprise Voice for Firearm Rights, has vowed to go after '...the lowest and [easiest] to get Fruits on the Tree] pertaining to Firearm Rights in Georgia in Light of McDonald.
This menas Georiga Carry, according to The AJC, will most probably Petition The Court of Law to find Church-Carry Constitutional.

MarlboroLts5150

I too am in the military (Navy), heading to Kings Bay sometime in January. After all of the research I've done, I'm planning on carrying on my ID while in GA, but I am also getting a GFL for carrying in FL (very close to the line), and CO when I go to visit family. Nothing wrong with having "double coverage".

I truly wish that more states had their laws with respect to the military like they are in GA, the ONLY state to not have "within performance of their duties" stamped on after a military exemption.