• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry

hermannr

I have never attempted to conceal my weapon in WA (that is since 1970 when we originally moved here)

So: Why do I have a CPL? So I don't have to unload it when I get into a car or other mode of transportation. (and when I visit my local FFL)

sudden valley gunner

I have never attempted to conceal my weapon in WA (that is since 1970 when we originally moved here)

So: Why do I have a CPL? So I don't have to unload it when I get into a car or other mode of transportation. (and when I visit my local FFL)

Same here (well I only been OCing a few years. And welcome to the forum.

P.S. I also need it to pick kids up at school. Which is fun on a Motorcycle OCing.:lol:

hermannr

I learned about OC in WA when I moved to the Skagit Valley after getting out of the Army. They had a cowboy "quick draw" compitition downtown on the main street of Sedro Woolley. After the Compition everyone was OC'ing so I stopped and talked to some of the participants, and started OC'ing myself.

Went everywhere, bank, stores, library...no-one even noticed, or acted like they cared. (even though I was not in Cowboy attire, and my pistol was not a SA Colt. OK, that's good. Found out the law was, unloaded in the car unless you have CPL. Ok, we can do that too, but after that I never even thought about actually trying to conceal or even purchase a pistol specifically to conceal.

We no longer live in Skagit Co, but if anything Okanogan county is even more relaxed. First thing the local COP says when he sees my sidearm is, "are you going to join our Gun Club?"

Last edited:

1911er

I learned about OC in WA when I moved to the Skagit Valley after getting out of the Army. They had a cowboy "quick draw" compitition downtown on the main street of Sedro Woolley. After the Compition everyone was OC'ing so I stopped and talked to some of the participants, and started OC'ing myself.

Went everywhere, bank, stores, library...no-one even noticed, or acted like they cared. (even though I was not in Cowboy attire, and my pistol was not a SA Colt. OK, that's good. Found out the law was, unloaded in the car unless you have CPL. Ok, we can do that too, but after that I never even thought about actually trying to conceal or even purchase a pistol specifically to conceal.

We no longer live in Skagit Co, but if anything Okanogan county is even more relaxed. First thing the local COP says when he sees my sidearm is, "are you going to join our Gun Club?"

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3385&d=1280151535

I have never been to the gun club in Okanogan but it sounds like A good place to practice and share the OC way of thinking maybe pass out A few gun rights pamplets

Last edited:

hermannr

There are actually 5 gun clubs up here in the central/north Okanogan that I know of. Okanogan Wildlife and gun club is the largest and has two ranges, Omak has one range, Riverside has one range, Tonasket has a range, and Oroville has a range. As far as I know the only range open to the public is Oroville, and then only on Sundays.

We live about 20 miles out of Tonasket (NE). The Tonasket range is on 31 owned acres 2.5 miles the other side of town off N. Pine Creek Rd. so we do most of our practicing on our own property...however, they do sponsor 100m silhouette compititions (handgun) so we may join just for that.

Last edited:

fhsantos

Have tried running through the search but couldn't actually find a definite answer for WA, was wondering if while OCing you were able to have a magazine in the weapon?

FMCDH

Have tried running through the search but couldn't actually find a definite answer for WA, was wondering if while OCing you were able to have a magazine in the weapon?

In short, and without going into detail, yes.

Please re-read the FAQ, and the RCWs, the answers are there.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

You were not able to find if it was legal because the laws are to prohibit items or actions, so yes it is legal to carry loaded in a magazine and chamber. The only place where you cannot carry it loaded is if you do not have a concealed pistol license while in a vehicle.

FMCDH

You were not able to find if it was legal because the laws are to prohibit items or actions, so yes it is legal to carry loaded in a magazine and chamber. The only place where you cannot carry it loaded is if you do not have a concealed pistol license while in a vehicle.

+1

fhsantos,

Based upon your answers in another thread, it sounds like your an experienced CCer here in Washington, and if that's the case, the laws are no different CC or OC when you have a CPL. The only extra thing to be aware of is the ever looming steaming pile of an RCW 9.41.270, which some of our less educated LEOs in the state believe, or want to believe, applies to peaceably holstered firearms.

fhsantos

I am mostly a CCer, thank you for the info & the straight foward answers. I usually don't have LEO issues nor do I ever go looking for them, just making sure I dot my i's & cross my t's is all. I'm still a baby at only 23 so LEO's do look toward me fast. Knowledge is power, thanks guys.

PALO

GREAT sticky. one thing i'd like to add--- about college campus carry.

several public colleges have ADMINISTRATIVE CODES (note: NOT RCW's) that prohibit carry by students etc..

i have yet to be able to find any case law, iow any student disciplined under these codes, that appealed and won or lost

i STRONGLY suspect that the UW etc. cannot technically ban a kid from carrying on campus, merely because he is a student.

although the admin code makes it appear they can

for non students, at a public college, you most definitely can carry.

PALO

abode: RCW 9.41.270 MAKES AN EXCEPTION that this law does not apply to a person's "abode" or fixed place of business

the RCW does not define abode.

i had a friend do some research, and from what he was able to find, there is case law saying one's front porch is one's abode, but one's YARD is not

iow, you cannot get charged under RCW 9.41.270 if you are INSIDE your house, or on your front porch

presumably, standing on your front porch, waving your gun around like a fool (pants on the ground, pants on the ground) would not be actionable under 9.41.270

not that i recommend this.

it's still stupid, reckless, just plain WRONG, and if the gun was LOADED, i suspect something like reckless endangerment, etc. might be applicable

note also that a CPL is not needed to carry concealed in your residence either.

one more point. WA does not have a law making it illegal to carry while intoxicated. note WA does not even have a crime called "public intoxication"

however, if one is caught DUI with a firearm, under the law , it can be seized

presumably, if one was staggering down the street with a pistol (drunk), one could run afould of 9.41.270 since it could arguably : under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

be considered behavior that "warrants alarm for the safety of other persons". an intoxicated person cannot safely retain their firearm, nor make good shoot/don't shoot decisions, so i think that's an issue people should be concerned with

of course nobody should ever carry a firearm while intoxicated ANYWAY.

the guy who researched the case law about "abode" meaning for this statute is a prosecutor and pretty knowledgeable.

tattoo bill

hello my first post to any forum

so i had my cpl expired a few years back an took cc courses to be smart, im studying up on oc laws to do it right but want to make sure on something, can i carry open cocked an locked? an im heavily tattooed, an a tattoo artist, havnt noticed people in spokane oc an im wondering how it is so far for people? iv oc for 2 days an havnt been stopped yet but i have 163 tats including one on face sorta like mike tyson, no gang stuff no violant stuff but its still somethin people kinda trip on just lookin at me

DCKilla

so i had my cpl expired a few years back an took cc courses to be smart, im studying up on oc laws to do it right but want to make sure on something, can i carry open cocked an locked? an im heavily tattooed, an a tattoo artist, havnt noticed people in spokane oc an im wondering how it is so far for people? iv oc for 2 days an havnt been stopped yet but i have 163 tats including one on face sorta like mike tyson, no gang stuff no violant stuff but its still somethin people kinda trip on just lookin at me
Check out RCW 9.41.050, "cocked and locked" is not there, but car carry is. Tattoos are only a change of skin pigment. It's not a violation of the law to carry and have tats.

Last edited:

Thor80

You mean you didn't see Orphan and I on the news getting wrongly asked to leave the Spokane convention center while OC? :) OC is pretty straight forward here. You CAN carry OC loaded. As was mentioned RCW 9.41.050 - without a CPL you can NOT carry loaded in your vechicle. RCW 9.41.300 is the one to read about where you can and cannot carry, period, regardless of CPL. Also check out "Outdoor Music Festivals". RCW 70.108.150, you cannot carry at one of those either, dunno why this one is not in .300....

Also check out http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78923-Eastern-WA-OC-Report for Spokane area experiences. Pretty uneventful over here...

-Thor

Last edited:

1911er

Welcome to the Forum

Hey welcome Bill keep your eyes open on here for outings on the dry side and hook up with some of the OCers over there the ones I have met are A great bunch of people. Carry on my freind

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

You can carry cocked and locked, many of us do. It is not illegal.

A suggestion, be polite, be courteous, be kind and be professional when you carry. Hold open doors for people, smile and make eye contact. And you will be treated with what you give and the gun will be a non-issue.

sudden valley gunner

You can carry cocked and locked, many of us do. It is not illegal.

A suggestion, be polite, be courteous, be kind and be professional when you carry. Hold open doors for people, smile and make eye contact. And you will be treated with what you give and the gun will be a non-issue.

I agree with Nick and add to what he say by sayin....know you are in the right, having the right attitude and confidence makes other people feel comfortable around you.