Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Yup.... and has worked for my travels in WA.
    Same here.

What the sheep types don't know wont hurt their delicate sensibilities.

Re: Open Carry - Clarification

Hello,

I am a recent owner of a handgun in Washington.

So it is to my conclusion after what I have read that you CAN carry a weapon i.e. handgun as long as its within plain site even if you dont have a CWP? If so can it be loaded?

Also does this also hold in state parks? I go hiking and I want to carry for piece of mind and safety.

I appreciate any feedback and want to bide by state law.

Thanks!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurobyrail View Post
    Hello,

So it is to my conclusion after what I have read that you CAN carry a weapon i.e. handgun as long as its within plain site even if you dont have a CWP? If so can it be loaded?

Also does this also hold in state parks? I go hiking and I want to carry for piece of mind and safety.

I appreciate any feedback and want to bide by state law.

Thanks!
    As a starting point, read this and follow the links.
    http://www.opencarry.org/wa.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As a starting point, read this and follow the links.
    http://www.opencarry.org/wa.html
    What he said ^

And welcome to the forum Eurobyrail.

Welcome to OCDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Eurobyrail View Post
    Hello,

I appreciate any feedback and want to (a)bide by state law.

Thanks!
    If you are hiking, check out RCW 9.41.060 for carrying concealed during your legal outdoor activity, if you desire to do so.

Aside from that, the above info is currect imho. Welcome to OCDO! You'll learn much here from this group!

I have a question regarding OC or CC of the Taurus Judge. This handgun boasts the abiltiy to use .410 shotgun shells. when loaded with shotshells wouldnt this be a violation of RCW 9.14.220? I suspect with a barrel length of 3" it would be consdidered short barreled?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

RCW 9.41.220
    Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgunor short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinWKuska View Post
    I have a question regarding OC or CC of the Taurus Judge. This handgun boasts the abiltiy to use .410 shotgun shells. when loaded with shotshells wouldnt this be a violation of RCW 9.14.220? I suspect with a barrel length of 3" it would be consdidered short barreled?

RCW 9.41.220

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgunor short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.
    Without having the benefit of specific statute, I would still opine not. I don't believe that the type of shot would define the gun i.e. rat/snake shot loads do not change a S & W model 66 .38 cal revolver into a shotgun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

RCW 9.41.220

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Without having the benefit of specific statute, I would still opine not. I don't believe that the type of shot would define the gun i.e. rat/snake shot loads do not change a S & W model 66 .38 cal revolver into a shotgun.

No.

RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined
    (18) "Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun by any means of modification if such modified weapon has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

(19) "Shotgun" means a weapon with one or more barrels, designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Question

Can u OC in a liqour store? I am thinking not since minors are not allowed(or maybe not allowed without an adult). But someone posted they had done so. Got me gears grinding into motion again...
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

Can u OC in a liqour store? I am thinking not since minors are not allowed(or maybe not allowed without an adult). But someone posted they had done so. Got me gears grinding into motion again...
    Yes, because the liquor is not consumable on the premises.
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=66.16.070

YES minors can go in when accompanied by an adult 21+
    Edit to add: Ok, I cant find anywhere in the laws where a minor can or cant enter state liquor stores. I know it happens as I have seen parents bring their kids in with them without protest from the clerks, so I am going on a best guess on this one.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 02-08-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Yes, because the liquor is not consumable on the premises.
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=66.16.070

YES minors can go in when accompanied by an adult 21+
    Edit to add: Ok, I cant find anywhere in the laws where a minor can or cant enter state liquor stores. I know it happens as I have seen parents bring their kids in with them without protest from the clerks, so I am going on a best guess on this one.
    The only place I know where speaks to a child not being allowed by law on the premises is posted by state liquor control board.

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places
    (1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    The only place I know where speaks to a child not being allowed by law on the premises is posted by state liquor control board.

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places
    (1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or
    Ahh!

Found this...
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=66.44.310

Make sure to read the linked exceptions in (1)

Another interesting read... I see no mention of these provisions applying to State Liquor Stores.
    http://liq.wa.gov/publications/OnPre...eehandbook.pdf
    Last edited by FMCDH; 02-08-2011 at 02:43 AM.

And last but not least...

An archived thread that discusses this back from 2007 that seems to support my initial assumption.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/ar...p/t-38087.html

How about the answer from the District Manager himself: (Which is Yes as of Aug 2008)
    http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?act...a=view;down=49

<snip>
    I’m responding to your concern regarding a recent shopping experience at our
    retail store # 122 at 72nd and Pacific Avenue in Tacoma. I have reviewed the
    incident as described and it appears that while you were shopping, a customer
    initially noticed your firearm and commented that you were not allowed to have
    one in the store. Our store employees overheard this and supported that you
    were not allowed to carry while the store. Upon reviewing the signs posted in the
    store; I have determined that the signs were meant to be advisory for our staff
    and not for our retail customers. Our store employees were misinformed about
    the intent of the sign and I have authorized their removal.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 02-08-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Washington DOES NOT have a Stop and ID statute. There must be a Reasonable Articuable Suspicion that a person
    1. Has committed a crime
    2. Is about to commit a crime
    3. Is in the process of commtting a crime
    In the absence of one of these, the stop is pretentious and unlawful
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 02-16-2011 at 04:11 PM.

I have never attempted to conceal my weapon in WA (that is since 1970 when we originally moved here)

So: Why do I have a CPL? So I don't have to unload it when I get into a car or other mode of transportation. (and when I visit my local FFL)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I have never attempted to conceal my weapon in WA (that is since 1970 when we originally moved here)

So: Why do I have a CPL? So I don't have to unload it when I get into a car or other mode of transportation. (and when I visit my local FFL)
    Same here (well I only been OCing a few years. And welcome to the forum.

P.S. I also need it to pick kids up at school. Which is fun on a Motorcycle OCing.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I learned about OC in WA when I moved to the Skagit Valley after getting out of the Army. They had a cowboy "quick draw" compitition downtown on the main street of Sedro Woolley. After the Compition everyone was OC'ing so I stopped and talked to some of the participants, and started OC'ing myself.

Went everywhere, bank, stores, library...no-one even noticed, or acted like they cared. (even though I was not in Cowboy attire, and my pistol was not a SA Colt. OK, that's good. Found out the law was, unloaded in the car unless you have CPL. Ok, we can do that too, but after that I never even thought about actually trying to conceal or even purchase a pistol specifically to conceal.

We no longer live in Skagit Co, but if anything Okanogan county is even more relaxed. First thing the local COP says when he sees my sidearm is, "are you going to join our Gun Club?"
    Last edited by hermannr; 04-01-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I learned about OC in WA when I moved to the Skagit Valley after getting out of the Army. They had a cowboy "quick draw" compitition downtown on the main street of Sedro Woolley. After the Compition everyone was OC'ing so I stopped and talked to some of the participants, and started OC'ing myself.

Went everywhere, bank, stores, library...no-one even noticed, or acted like they cared. (even though I was not in Cowboy attire, and my pistol was not a SA Colt. OK, that's good. Found out the law was, unloaded in the car unless you have CPL. Ok, we can do that too, but after that I never even thought about actually trying to conceal or even purchase a pistol specifically to conceal.

We no longer live in Skagit Co, but if anything Okanogan county is even more relaxed. First thing the local COP says when he sees my sidearm is, "are you going to join our Gun Club?"
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/at...5&d=1280151535

I have never been to the gun club in Okanogan but it sounds like A good place to practice and share the OC way of thinking maybe pass out A few gun rights pamplets
    Last edited by 1911er; 04-01-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

There are actually 5 gun clubs up here in the central/north Okanogan that I know of. Okanogan Wildlife and gun club is the largest and has two ranges, Omak has one range, Riverside has one range, Tonasket has a range, and Oroville has a range. As far as I know the only range open to the public is Oroville, and then only on Sundays.

We live about 20 miles out of Tonasket (NE). The Tonasket range is on 31 owned acres 2.5 miles the other side of town off N. Pine Creek Rd. so we do most of our practicing on our own property...however, they do sponsor 100m silhouette compititions (handgun) so we may join just for that.
    Last edited by hermannr; 04-04-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Updated and Added:

17) Gun Ranges and Gun Shops across Washington
    http://www.waguns.org/rangemap
    http://www.waguns.org/storemap

18) Can I own and use a suppressor? ( RCW 9.41.250) Yes, as long the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 08-14-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Have tried running through the search but couldn't actually find a definite answer for WA, was wondering if while OCing you were able to have a magazine in the weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by fhsantos View Post
    Have tried running through the search but couldn't actually find a definite answer for WA, was wondering if while OCing you were able to have a magazine in the weapon?
    In short, and without going into detail, yes.

Please re-read the FAQ, and the RCWs, the answers are there.

Quote Originally Posted by fhsantos View Post
    You were not able to find if it was legal because the laws are to prohibit items or actions, so yes it is legal to carry loaded in a magazine and chamber. The only place where you cannot carry it loaded is if you do not have a concealed pistol license while in a vehicle.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    You were not able to find if it was legal because the laws are to prohibit items or actions, so yes it is legal to carry loaded in a magazine and chamber. The only place where you cannot carry it loaded is if you do not have a concealed pistol license while in a vehicle.
    +1

fhsantos,

Based upon your answers in another thread, it sounds like your an experienced CCer here in Washington, and if that's the case, the laws are no different CC or OC when you have a CPL. The only extra thing to be aware of is the ever looming steaming pile of an RCW 9.41.270, which some of our less educated LEOs in the state believe, or want to believe, applies to peaceably holstered firearms.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast