Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    When is your motorcycle ride? If you're able to get to to kitsap county at least a month before your ride you can get a WA CPL (kitsap county issues promptly and doesn't jerk people around) and it would be a moot issue. Cowlitz county (north of clark county, where Vancouver is) is also pretty prompt from my understanding. I don't know about clark county or city of Vancouver.

Yes, your idea is legal in Washington. The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 state you cannot carry or place a loaded handgun in a vehicle or carry a concealed handgun on or about your person without a concealed pistol license. So carrying mag well empty on the bike and loaded on foot is perfectly legal.

There is also some exemptions from 9.41.050 see 9.41.060

If you're heading to a place of outdoor recreation you can carry loaded, also if you're an agent of the federal government you can carry loaded, if you're a peace officer in another state is an exemption. If you're a member of any group authorized to purchase or recieve pistols from the United States or state of washington is another exemption. Maybe one of them may apply, maybe not worth looking into.

Btw, if you guys can convince your leg to recognize WAs permit this would be a moot issue. Just saying....
    That's how I read it.

Too far to run up there for a WA CPL and none of the exceptions fit although by my way of thinking going on a 1000 mile/24 hour ride IS outdoor recreation and quite similar to riding a horse, they're even called steel horses sometimes. Alas, the purpose of the trip is to complete the ride, not become a test case so I'll stick with the unloaded while riding method.

I had considered doing it with an AR strapped to the sissy bar but decided that would create a high likelihood of NOT making the time limit. LOL

We're trying to get our legislature to recognize other states permits but the moonbats up north keep putting idiots into office. Every year they try to pass more crap. Just last month we were successful in defeating a proposed local ordinance (our preemption needs to be stronger as well) but getting stuff through at the state is a BEAR.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1776 View Post
    Hi Bill

You might want to do an update as the links in points 13, 15 & 16 are dead links!

Issues resolved

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    I am an OC activist in Southern Oregon. I am planning an "Iron Butt" motorcycle ride or 1000 miles in 24 hours (or less) with a requirement to obey posted speeds. I have an Oregon CHL but understand that is not recognized in Washington state.

My understanding is this:

When I cross into Washington state (actually BEFORE crossing the border) I can continue to Open Carry my pistol but must remove the magazine and the round in the chamber while on the motorcycle. When I stop, I can insert the magazine and chamber a round. Back on the motorcycle, I must pull them back out again.

I CAN have the loaded magazine on my side, so long as it is not in the pistol (planning weak side double mag pouch).

If this understanding is correct, I plan to simply go without a chambered round while in Washington and move the weapon mag between the weapon and the pouch when required.
    Thanks for this. I was wondering exactly that when I come home to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    When is your motorcycle ride? If you're able to get to to kitsap county at least a month before your ride you can get a WA CPL (kitsap county issues promptly and doesn't jerk people around) and it would be a moot issue. Cowlitz county (north of clark county, where Vancouver is) is also pretty prompt from my understanding. I don't know about clark county or city of Vancouver.

Yes, your idea is legal in Washington. The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 state you cannot carry or place a loaded handgun in a vehicle or carry a concealed handgun on or about your person without a concealed pistol license. So carrying mag well empty on the bike and loaded on foot is perfectly legal.

There is also some exemptions from 9.41.050 see 9.41.060

If you're heading to a place of outdoor recreation you can carry loaded, also if you're an agent of the federal government you can carry loaded, if you're a peace officer in another state is an exemption. If you're a member of any group authorized to purchase or recieve pistols from the United States or state of washington is another exemption. Maybe one of them may apply, maybe not worth looking into.

Btw, if you guys can convince your leg to recognize WAs permit this would be a moot issue. Just saying....
    I guess I'm going to Kitsap county when I get home.

Hi everyone,

First post. Florida resident (with resident CCP) via Edmonds, currently stationed in Utah. I usually drive home a couple times a year. In Utah, I can carry in my vehicle loaded (1 in the chamber) in the attached holster, same when I hit Idaho due to them recognizing my Florida permit. Now once I hit the Washington / Idaho border. I must remove the round in the chamber and the full magazine while driving.

Once I am at my visiting place, I can carry openly as long as the pistol is UNLOADED ( (14) "Loaded" means: (a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm So pistol in holster carried openly, full mags in a weak side holster.

As soon I get home, I plan on visiting a sheriff to get my CCP so I don't have to worry about this.

Do you think this is plainly visible?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...79b8d836ee.jpg

Last edited by The Macf; 09-08-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    That's how I read it.

Too far to run up there for a WA CPL and none of the exceptions fit although by my way of thinking going on a 1000 mile/24 hour ride IS outdoor recreation and quite similar to riding a horse, they're even called steel horses sometimes. Alas, the purpose of the trip is to complete the ride, not become a test case so I'll stick with the unloaded while riding method.

I had considered doing it with an AR strapped to the sissy bar but decided that would create a high likelihood of NOT making the time limit. LOL

We're trying to get our legislature to recognize other states permits but the moonbats up north keep putting idiots into office. Every year they try to pass more crap. Just last month we were successful in defeating a proposed local ordinance (our preemption needs to be stronger as well) but getting stuff through at the state is a BEAR.
    When and how for MSG and I OC on our bikes quite regularly.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    No time frame as the Iron Butt 1000/24hrs ride is an individual ride and you don't file any paperwork until you've completed it. Then they use your receipts to verify your milege and time, as well as that you didn't break the speed limit, and issue your "goodies".....certificate, stickers, patches, etc are all available, some have an extra cost.

The limiting factors for me are that the bike is prepped (aux fuel installed, good tires but not brand new), the weather is dry and not too cold (difficult when riding to Bellingham WA), and I am physically ready.

I have missed this season (probably) due to a broken wrist that has just healed to the point of being able to ride distances. Still need to build the aux fuel system as well.
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Note that posts #166 & #167 were delayed in appearing here - waiting for moderation.

Please review those posts - a newbie has some questions.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

This is Truth!
    But we also have CPLs(conc pist lic) and that covers it. The AR idea is good, thought about that myself. A scabbard and an AR pistol as long guns cannot be loaded.

The firearm in the car is acceptable if not loaded (sans CPL) but is a no go if any round inserted. Not a bad rig, but I want mine on my hip.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

BTW, I was a little confused on the wording of the RCW. You can OC fully loaded just not in your car without permit. RCW 9.41.050 "A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol " I took the carry portion to include carrying while on the street out of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The gun can be concealed in the vehicle - just not loaded nor concealed ON THE PERSON inside a vehicle without a CPL. So whether or not the under the steering wheel holster is concealed or not, it's legal because it is not on your person. In addition, fully loaded open carry outside the vehicle is legal without a CPL.
    Thank you.

No time frame as the Iron Butt 1000/24hrs ride is an individual ride and you don't file any paperwork until you've completed it. Then they use your receipts to verify your milege and time, as well as that you didn't break the speed limit, and issue your "goodies".....certificate, stickers, patches, etc are all available, some have an extra cost.

The limiting factors for me are that the bike is prepped (aux fuel installed, good tires but not brand new), the weather is dry and not too cold (difficult when riding to Bellingham WA), and I am physically ready.

I have missed this season (probably) due to a broken wrist that has just healed to the point of being able to ride distances. Still need to build the aux fuel system as well.
    Whether might pick back up this month, although maybe not what a Floridian is used to...

Sunday we'll be having a meet up here in Bellingham.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Whether might pick back up this month, although maybe not what a Floridian is used to...

Sunday we'll be having a meet up here in Bellingham.
    At the moment I'm working on an aux fuel system so that I can avoid so many fuel stops in order to make better use of time by getting off the bike at rest areas for quick stretches. Much quicker to just pull off at a rest area, stretch a few minutes, and right back on the freeway....as opposed to taking an exit, dealing with traffic, staying on the bike while fueling, and taking more time. The requirement is a receipt every 350 miles or when a change in direction is made. Since I'm going due north then due south, I only have 5 required fuel stops (including start and end) 250-350 miles, the turn around point, and 250-350 miles south of the turn around point (500 miles north, 500 miles south).

Clock starts at the initial fueling, stops at the final fueling, so really only three stops during the trip are required. With stock fuel supply, I'd have to stop every 120-140 miles.......way too much lost time so the aux fuel system is a requirement.

I have the tank, looking into ways to mount it securely, and working out the plumbing arrangements. Stock fuel plus 5gal in the aux will allow me to go that 250-350 miles between fuel points and save time for stretching iin rest areas.

In addition, part of the verification process is to google map your receipt time stamps with distance travelled to ensure that you didn't break the speed limit. So 5mph over results in about 5 minutes extra time off the bike per hour. Ride two hours, get a free 10 minute or so break.

The GF and/or friend will be set up (truck, ramps, tie downs, winch) for recovery should I break down outside the AAA towing distance (have premium coverage) so a large part of the trip I will be within AAA recovery parameters. (let's hope that's not needed)....LOL

So, with the time/distance requirements, there isn't going to be time to stop and visit with anyone along the way but anyone who would like to come out and ride along for a section of the trip is welcome. When a date is set I'll put out the word and anyone interested can exchange contact info so that I can call as I approach their neck of the woods (I have bluetooth into my helmet in order to make calls and track progress on the GPS in the phone mapping APP).
    Beretta92FSLady

At the moment I'm working on an aux fuel system so that I can avoid so many fuel stops in order to make better use of time by getting off the bike at rest areas for quick stretches. Much quicker to just pull off at a rest area, stretch a few minutes, and right back on the freeway....as opposed to taking an exit, dealing with traffic, staying on the bike while fueling, and taking more time. The requirement is a receipt every 350 miles or when a change in direction is made. Since I'm going due north then due south, I only have 5 required fuel stops (including start and end) 250-350 miles, the turn around point, and 250-350 miles south of the turn around point (500 miles north, 500 miles south).

Clock starts at the initial fueling, stops at the final fueling, so really only three stops during the trip are required. With stock fuel supply, I'd have to stop every 120-140 miles.......way too much lost time so the aux fuel system is a requirement.

I have the tank, looking into ways to mount it securely, and working out the plumbing arrangements. Stock fuel plus 5gal in the aux will allow me to go that 250-350 miles between fuel points and save time for stretching iin rest areas.

In addition, part of the verification process is to google map your receipt time stamps with distance travelled to ensure that you didn't break the speed limit. So 5mph over results in about 5 minutes extra time off the bike per hour. Ride two hours, get a free 10 minute or so break.

The GF and/or friend will be set up (truck, ramps, tie downs, winch) for recovery should I break down outside the AAA towing distance (have premium coverage) so a large part of the trip I will be within AAA recovery parameters. (let's hope that's not needed)....LOL

So, with the time/distance requirements, there isn't going to be time to stop and visit with anyone along the way but anyone who would like to come out and ride along for a section of the trip is welcome. When a date is set I'll put out the word and anyone interested can exchange contact info so that I can call as I approach their neck of the woods (I have bluetooth into my helmet in order to make calls and track progress on the GPS in the phone mapping APP).
    Sweet! Have a fun ride look forward to the updates.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567