• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC picnic in Spokane - 8/4

sirtirithon

Hey Spokane area folks,

Any idea on when we were going to have the OC picnic in Spokane? I have been handing out the OC.org brochures to other gun owners I know and have received strong positive interest in OC and several of them would like to attend the picnic OC'ing if we have one.

Just thought I'd post and see if we are still planning this... Thanks!

BobR

There's a lot of parks in Spokane. I like Mirabeau Meadows Park in the Valley. I think we should have it somewhere that will have some traffic throughout the day, and that one should being close to the centenial trail out that way. All we need is a day and time once we have judged interest in the idea. We could also just call it a 2A picnic and invite people from other boards, such as Spokane Gun Trader to come out and join us.

bob

dwordinger

Now that you have had a couple days to think about it, which park and on what day did you decide?

Vandal

If we could do it on a Monday or Tuesday evening I can make it. I moved up here from the Moscow/Pullman area and would like to meet some of the other OCers.

BobR

The 4th is good for me as well. BobR are you going to post on SGT?

The 4th works for me as well, I have every wed and thur off. Once we are firmed up I will cross post to SGT.

bob

edit: I lied, I posted on SGT and pointed them this way.

Last edited:

BobR

Do we need to do anything to reserve an area in the park, or is it first come, first serve?

I have never had anything to do with the Spokane parks. Anyone..any ideas?

I think we should also let the police know about the event and invite them to stop by for a burger and soda if their patrol schedule allows it. Sunset will be at 8:20 on the 4th so we should have plenty of time.

bob

Last edited:

sirtirithon

I'm not sure about reserving an area in the park or who we would contact. I know Manito park is popular for weddings but I doubt it would be busy on a Wednesday evening. We should be ok.

I agree with Bob that informing the police and inviting them is a good idea. Wouldn't shock me if someone else in the park reported us and it would be nice if the police were already aware.

Also, I recall reading somewhere in a forum that firearms are banned in Spokane city parks? Does anyone know if this is true and could it cause us problems? If we need to we could move the picnic to a state park, say Riverside state park.

fetch

I am surprised more Spokanes have not joined in this discussion. How ever Manito park is a good place, all we need to do is get a hold of the parks department and reserve a place. May not be able to get a place on the 4th.
Spokane does have in their municipal code prohibiting firearms in the parks. A person on this forum was issued a citation for $500 for open carrying in that park. But the citation is null and void because of the state preemption does not include city parks as a restricted place. There in lies our point. We have been at odds with the city for about three years on this subject. We could bring it to a head with the picnic. Invite the cops and city council members. It could be interesting.

BobR

Fetch,

I am surprised also that this one is withering on the vine. I think now is the time to ramp up our presence in the city and make the politicians and police not only acutely aware of the law but to push them to make all of Spokane's city ordinances fall in line with the state law.

The guy that was cited at the park hired a lawyer and the charges were dropped, but nothing was changed in the ordinances AFAIK.

I have never been to Manito so I don't know if we need to reserve a spot or just take an outlying area for free.

Anyone have any ideas, or is anyone willing to call Parks and Recreation to see if there are any big events for Aug 4th?

I am more than willing to draft a letter to the police/sheriff/city council and advise them of our intentions and to invite them to come out and meet the people they serve and protect.

bob

Jeff Hayes

OK guys I have a real problem with informing law enforcment that I am doing something legal. Do any of you call LE to let them know you will be eating a hot dog in the park? Invite the City Counsel, County Commisioners, The Chief of Police, the Sheriff etc thats all good and potentialy very benificial. I will be damned if I will ask for permission, you guys do what you want and I will still bring the burgers and buns.

I am assuming this will be a late afternoon early evening event, correct.

Jeff Hayes

Here is what is posted on the Parks & rec site.

PICNIC/SMALL GROUPS
If using any of the outer parks for a simple picnic gathering of 50 people or less, please contact Park Operations at 509.363.5457. Staff will be able to tell you if another group or a special event has been booked for that park. The use of our parks for small picnics is offered on a “first come, first served” basis. In order to secure a spot for your picnic event, it is encouraged to arrive early. Most of the outer parks have stationary tables. Some have grills in the picnic area and a small shelter (without tables) available. Only paid reservations for our picnic shelters at Franklin, Manito, Mission, and Shadle Parks will guarantee the use of the shelter, along with picnic tables and benches. Please call 509.363.5455 for more information.

BobR

We are not asking for permission to do something legal. We will still do it. I see as more of a courtesy notice that there will be a gathering so that if they get any MWAG in the park calls they will already be informed of the event and hopefully won't show up with their armored RV or a total show of force.

While what we are doing is perfectly legal and we do not have to ask permission from anyone, it isn't everyday a group of openly armed men and women show up at a city park. In this case I believe an ounce of prevention is justified.

It is a courtesy notification and an open invitation for them to join us for some food and to meet the people who helped put them in the positions they are in (except for the SPD).

I am thinking afternoon, early evening also. I would like to be there for several hours and that way people can wander by as they get off work or shortly after. It also keeps from having to cook dinner that night which may help bring out more women and children.

As we get closer we will need to figure out food. I can bring chips, H2O and possibly more.

bob

o2ryan

As we get closer we will need to figure out food. I can bring chips, H2O and possibly more.

bob

Bob, I literally have a pallet full of bottled water available, let me take care of that. What I don't have is a good cooler to keep in on ice. If you could do that it would be helpful.

Lammo

I'll be there . . .

(Sorry for the Michael Jackson flashback) I ought to be able to drop by at least for a while on the way home (as long as I can convince the warden). See you all at Manito Park on 08-04-10 in the early evening, right?

P.S. - - since the primary will be coming up on 08-17-10, it might be interesting to invite the candidates for 3rd District County Commissioner and 6th district State Senate and State Rep, Position 2. Manito is located in these districts and there are legitimate contested races this year for those positions. You can also invite the candidates for County Prosecutor but that one can't be my idea (PM me if you want to know why).