Thread: Journalist looking to meet & interview 'open carry' gun owners in Arizona

Curerently traveling through New Mexico, Arizona and Texas

Exclamation Journalist looking to meet & interview 'open carry' gun owners in Arizona

Hi, my name is Ed Nelson, I work for the Sunday Times Magazine, the UK's largest circulation weekly general-interest feature magazine (part of the Times Newspaper).

I will be traveling in Arizona from the 1st July (then New Mexico and Texas) and would like to meet, interview and photograph gun owners who 'open-carry'.

I will be fairly near the Arizona-Mexico border, so if you live in that area (no further West than Tucson), and are able to meet up, that would be great.

I'd like to photograph you in an everyday public setting.

(My cellphone number is: 310-498 6237)

Best wishes,
    Ed

Centurion

I would love to meet with you, unfortunately I work and live in Yuma.

I think you will enjoy your meeting with Arizona Open Carriers. Good luck on your venture.

Hello Ed,

I tried the cell number posted and go the message "Voice mail not set up yet". I live on the border near Bisbee and Douglas. I would be happy to meet you and discuss open carry.

Steve Barrett

Are any of your writings available online so we may see before we leap. If so please provide links.
    No insult intended but many writers are neither pro gun or even handed in their treatment of the subject.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Are any of your writings available online so we may see before we leap. If so please provide links.
    No insult intended but many writers are neither pro gun or even handed in their treatment of the subject.
    And, their editors can be even worse.

Did a Google search and found nothing for Ed or Edward Nelson Sunday Times.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Thanks Clyde, I must have been asleep at the switch. I hope everybody remains a bit skeptical because I see a trap looming in the shadows.

Ed Nelson - Uk journalist - meet

Hi Steve - perhaps can give me a call on 310 498 6237, or let me know your number?

We could maybe meet you on Thursday 1st July or Friday 2nd?

Best,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    Hello Ed,

I tried the cell number posted and go the message "Voice mail not set up yet". I live on the border near Bisbee and Douglas. I would be happy to meet you and discuss open carry.

Steve Barrett

Ed Nelson - Uk journalist

phone reception on our AT&T has been useless as we drive....

I will call you back if you give me a number (also trying to sort our voicemail out now)

Best
    Ed

Hello Ed,

Steve Barrett

Ed Nelson - Uk journalist

Hi, staff writers at the magazine don't get credits I'm sad to report.
    My view is one of open interest. Nobody will be mis-represented or mis-quoted. It is of course up to each individual to decide if participating is useful.
    Best wishes,
    Ed

Hi Steve, I arrived in New Mexico, yesterday. I will be in Arizoan day after tomorrow. Perhaps we could meet up with you then, or one day before or up to 5 July.
    My cellphone is 310-498 6237.
    Message box will take a message if you can't get through.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Hello Ed,

Steve Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Hi, staff writers at the magazine don't get credits I'm sad to report.
    My view is one of open interest. Nobody will be mis-represented or mis-quoted. It is of course up to each individual to decide if participating is useful.
    Best wishes,
    Ed
    Whether your name is on it or not is there an article or two available online that you wrote?? If so Please provide a link.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Hi Ed,

The 1rst or 2nd won't work, I have to travel to Atlanta for a meeting unexpectedly. I will be back late friday night if Saturday or Sunday works for you.

Sorry, but this trip came up early today.

Any more news on this? What's the deal here?

Hi mFonz77,

I met with Ed and his assistant the 5th in Douglas at McDonalds for about 2 hours. I took my father age 79, lifelong shooter and carrier abet mostly CC, and my wife (she started shooting after we met and while we lived in Brazil for 8 years continued to practice. As a Brazilian, she really appreciates the right to carry, as Brazilian street crime is through the roof and there is no CC/OC allowed). Ed was looking to interview folks that regularly carry as a part of everyday life and why, of course he wanted some photos of me in everyday situations (such as ordering at McDonalds). As with most discussions with journalists and firearms the discussion encompassed firearms laws, why gun owners are opposed to registration (I quickly pointed out the history of registration in Germany in 37, England and Australia as a precursor to confiscation and ban). I explained that all the ban in England accomplished was to remove the guns from the citizens and did not affect the wealthy and politically connected, as they still have firearms.
    One point that many from other countries do not understand it that the US does not have laws permitting firearm ownership…..It is considered a RIGHT, not a law bestowed by a benevolent government.
    It seemed that Ed was not driving to a foregone conclusion, and that he intended to write a fair, balance piece. As to be expected he did have the prejudice coming from a culture that does not have the right to bear arms. Since folks from Europe and the UK seem to think that they have a much lower crime rate than the US, I did a little on line research that clearly demonstrates that the UK in particular has much higher violent crime rate than the US per capita, and Europe in general has a higher violent crime rate as well. This actually surprised both Ed and his assistant, especially considering the facts I presented were from EUROSAT and The Telegraph and UK major daily newspaper.
    Ed and his assistant both were sharp, personable and enjoyable to talk with. We will see how the article plays.

Ed if you read this send me your email.

Steve

Hi mFonz77,

I met with Ed and his assistant the 5th in Douglas at McDonalds for about 2 hours. I took my father age 79, lifelong shooter and carrier abet mostly CC, and my wife (she started shooting after we met and while we lived in Brazil for 8 years continued to practice. As a Brazilian, she really appreciates the right to carry, as Brazilian street crime is through the roof and there is no CC/OC allowed). Ed was looking to interview folks that regularly carry as a part of everyday life and why, of course he wanted some photos of me in everyday situations (such as ordering at McDonalds). As with most discussions with journalists and firearms the discussion encompassed firearms laws, why gun owners are opposed to registration (I quickly pointed out the history of registration in Germany in 37, England and Australia as a precursor to confiscation and ban). I explained that all the ban in England accomplished was to remove the guns from the citizens and did not affect the wealthy and politically connected, as they still have firearms.
    One point that many from other countries do not understand it that the US does not have laws permitting firearm ownership…..It is considered a RIGHT, not a law bestowed by a benevolent government.
    It seemed that Ed was not driving to a foregone conclusion, and that he intended to write a fair, balance piece. As to be expected he did have the prejudice coming from a culture that does not have the right to bear arms. Since folks from Europe and the UK seem to think that they have a much lower crime rate than the US, I did a little on line research that clearly demonstrates that the UK in particular has much higher violent crime rate than the US per capita, and Europe in general has a higher violent crime rate as well. This actually surprised both Ed and his assistant, especially considering the facts I presented were from EUROSAT and The Telegraph and UK major daily newspaper.
    Ed and his assistant both were sharp, personable and enjoyable to talk with. We will see how the article plays.

Ed if you read this send me your email.

Steve
    As of this time England UK, is trying to get their gun rights back, thats for the simple reason we all know about.
    Disarmed citizens make easy targets.
    Thats good you got to meetup with ED and help him with pictures, and discussion.
    Because of the high soring crime rate in the UK, people are fighting for their gun rights now.

Robin47

Has anybody heard from Ed or seen the article he was working on.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"