• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'd like to introduce myself!

SheepboT

My name is jamie, I am a 21 y/o aircraft mechanic, avid car nut, and a novice hunter/fisherman. I've registered here because I'm interested in not only open carrying, but our continued right to do so.

The problem is that I've never open carried,I don't have the guts to deal with the LEO's/ gawkers :eek:saying"look at the crazy guy, why does he need a gun?".

Has anyone ever OC'd in belleville?

Last edited:

EM87

Welcome! There are lots of OC picnics that go on in the summer. A lot of people OC there for the first time as a stepping stone into public OC. It's not a big deal once you get used to it!

Haman J.T.

Just study up on the info provided at the top of the MI thread,so you will know that you are lawfully OCing and you will know how to speak to folks who may ask you questions like "is that legal?are you a cop?".You will also learn how to deal with officers who may check you out,or not! Police encounters are becoming more rare lately due to our efforts to educate them.When you become comfortable with your knowledge of OCing,go to it! You're a law abiding citizen exercising your right to self defense!Like the rest of us!

SheepboT

I finally worked up the courage to OC around town a little bit, and to my surprise, it really seemed like nobody noticed. It still felt pretty awkward but I am planning to OC again soon so hopefully all goes well.

Scooter, I don't have a CPL yet but will be getting one ASAP. Even with the CPL I do not think I will be doing much CC as because my Springfield 1911 SS might be a bit of a bear to conceal efficiently, and comfortably.

On another note, has anyone been to the metroparks and noticed there "no firearms" signs, seems as though that might be a little out of line?

PDinDetroit

I finally worked up the courage to OC around town a little bit, and to my surprise, it really seemed like nobody noticed. It still felt pretty awkward but I am planning to OC again soon so hopefully all goes well.

On another note, has anyone been to the metroparks and noticed there "no firearms" signs, seems as though that might be a little out of line?

Welcome to OCDO! OC gets easier the more you do it, a CPL makes it much easier IMO.

Which Metroparks are you referring to?

SheepboT

PDDet, the metroparks with the "no firearms" sign was the Lower Huron location.

Bronson, you don't happen to work at Duncan Av.? While I was in A&P school we took a tour of that place, just amazing!

Wglide90

My name is jamie, I am a 21 y/o aircraft mechanic, avid car nut, and a novice hunter/fisherman. I've registered here because I'm interested in not only open carrying, but our continued right to do so.

The problem is that I've never open carried,I don't have the guts to deal with the LEO's/ gawkers :eek:saying"look at the crazy guy, why does he need a gun?".

Has anyone ever OC'd in belleville?

Welcome to the forum and OCing Jamie. I OC in Belleville everyday. I have posted my travels here and I have never had any issue in the Belleville area. I have gone in all the main businesses w/o any probs. I OC on my Harley and have passed LEOs and no prob. One business owner even gave me a $25 gift card to Cabela's to get ammo! I find that all of the people with which I have interacted have had positive comments and questions. Everyone is very nice to me! LOL.

Maybe we'll catch up with each other some time. I know there are a couple other guys in area as well.

PDinDetroit

Metroparks Firearm Rules & Regulations

PDDet, the metroparks with the "no firearms" sign was the Lower Huron location.

IANAL!

I have researched the Metroparks Website, the following is what I have found (emphasis mine):

Link: http://www.metroparks.com/content.aspx?ID=127

5. FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS- No person shall possess or control any rifle, shotgun or other firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, pellet gun, air rifle, fireworks, explosives, or other dangerous substances within the boundaries of any park, without written permission of the Authority; provided, that this rule shall not apply to any law enforcement officer who has been duly appointed by the government of the United States, the State of Michigan or any county, municipality other political subdivision of the State of Michigan; and provided, further that this section shall not prohibit a person from legally carrying firearms in accordance with state law, including transporting an unloaded shotgun in a case within the boundaries of Lake Erie or Metro Beach Metropark for the purpose of using Lake Erie or Metro Beach Metropark as access to a permitted hunting area.

So, OC and CC would be legally carrying firearms in accordance with state law (CC with CPL only).