• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone know what was the so called assault rifle that shot at the cops

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
The thing I found interesting is that the AK was called an assault weapon but when they showed MPD's AR-15's they were just called 'semi-automatic rifles'.
What would you have the AR-15 called but a semi? And the AK-47 is a select fire automat rifle an assault weapon. Will we damn the lamestream media for truthin' as well as lyin"?

Interceptor_Knight

What would you have the AR-15 called but a semi? And the AK-47 is a select fire automat rifle an assault weapon. Will we damn the lamestream media for truthin' as well as lyin"?
The weapon used was not an actual select fire AK47 assault rifle. It was a semiautomatic AK clone. There are only a couple manufacturers of "AK" clone platform rifles which use the AK47 designation. The media should stick to the semiauto descriptor for both the LEO rifles and the thugs' rifles.

Yooper

The weapon used was not an actual select fire AK47 assault rifle. It was a semiautomatic AK clone. There are only a couple manufacturers of "AK" clone platform rifles which use the AK47 designation. The media should stick to the semiauto descriptor for both the LEO rifles and the thugs' rifles.

I thought Bushy Sr.'s import ban (executive order) banned the import of AK-47's by name, and that was why most manufacturers went with names like "MAK-90", "SAR", and "AKM". Which were essentially the same rifle, just with a different name on it. Of course, that wouldn't apply to any domestically made firearms. Besides "AK" stands for "Автомат Калашникова 47" or in English "Automatic Kalishnikov 47".

Interceptor_Knight

I thought Bushy Sr.'s import ban (executive order) banned the import of AK-47's by name, ......

No such executive order is in effect. The root issue is the 1968 Gun Control Act which bans the import of any firearms that do not have a "sporting purpose". This was given more teeth in 1989 when the BATF redefined its interpretation of that law. This is when you saw the advent of the MAK 90s, etc with bald barrels, etc..
On March 14, 1989, BATF suspended imports of "AKS type weapons, UZI carbines, FN/FAL-type weapons, FN/FNC-type weapons and Steyr Aug semi-automatic weapons." The "temporary" ban was extended to virtually all other imported military look-alike semi-autos on April 5, 1989.

Bush Sr's biggest sin was to not oppose the ATF and just roll over. While the NRA played a significant part in his election, their lack of support in reaction to this inaction played a significant part in the failure of him being elected for a second term.