• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Binder Park Zoo; Leave your gun in the car... :(

Scooter

The family and I went to Binder Park Zoo (Battle Creek MI.) this weekend. It is a great zoo and we gladly make the drive. I had not OC'd there before but was not concerned as I OC everywhere allowed by law (I have a CPL).
We entered and looked around as usual and then boarded the tram to the "Wild Africa" section of the zoo. The tram ride is a good 5 minute ride to the back of the property. No issues a few looks here and there but nothing noteworthy. We fed the giraffes and walked the trail. We were more than halfway down the trail when I was approached by one of the staff there. He said I was not allowed to carry a firearm there and asked if I could take it to my car. I explained how open carry was legal etc,..also there was no sign anywhere saying no firearms. He said he knew Open Carry was legal and they did not have signs up YET. He also said something about it being on their website.. He said he had just got a "call" about it and asked again if I would take it to my car. I said "uh,...well...my car is in the parking lot, I will return it when we head back up there.." He thanked me and was on his way. We walked the rest of the trail (you have to, it's set up that way) then waited for the tram back to the main zoo area.

I was trying to figure out who called on the way back...When we arrived back at the tram station it became a little obvious who it may have been. We were in the last car, when the tram unloaded at the station one of the staff guys was watching us like a hawk (about 5 feet away) I unloaded the stroller, 6 kids and wife. He walked up and said, pointing to his hip, "Did someone talk to you about that?". I replied "Yes" and we were on our way.
I exited the park with one of the kids and stored the gun in our van. We then re-entered and took a train ride and watched an amusing animal show.
I thought that would be all the interaction for the day.
When the show was over we had a chance to see some of the animals up close and talk to the trainers. As I was checking out the hawk with our baby the same guy who originally told me to take the gun to my car walked up with a printout of some of the MI. gun law! He showed me the "gun-free" list. I explained how I was exempt from that because of my CPL and OCing. He didn't know what to say. I said I understood that they are a private org. and can tell people to leave for any reason. He said "We are not telling, just asking" I reaffirmed my right to OC and we actually moved on to zoo related conversation. He was pleasant the entire time and I was not going to just leave after a long drive so I did not make a big issue out of it. I had even considered just leaving my gun in the van in the first place to avoid a problem since there was no history at this zoo. I am bummed that they have a "no gun" policy and don't know if I will go back. It's a nice zoo but I don't like being unarmed anywhere.

malignity

I'd politely tell them that were a dangerous animal to escape, I would be the first to sue for mental anguish and any physical damage that may incur, and that intruding on my firearms rights does nothing but hurt their business, because I'll be online posting absolutely everywhere about my negative experience. Some companies take their online ratings so seriously that they'll literally bend over backwards for you (ask me how I know this sometime, and I'll give you a prime example of how I got a full refund on my wedding cake.).

If anyone asks me to put my gun in my car, I just leave and ask for a refund. It's not worth my time putting my gun in my car unless I plan on leaving along with it.

Last edited:

sevenplusone

Wow! Now that I think of it, I don't even know where he got that printout but "zoo" was on there??!!

After looking at the MI. gov site I don't see it anywhere.

Yeah, it ain't there. Perhaps if they have an entertainment section that seats 2500. Seems like a stretch (I've never been to this zoo).

cmdr_iceman71

Yeah, it ain't there. Perhaps if they have an entertainment section that seats 2500. Seems like a stretch (I've never been to this zoo).

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

Yes, I can easily see the courts viewing the zoo as an "entertainment facility" and given how the original poster described the size of this particular "facility" it could easily seat 2,500 people or more so concealed carry would not have been an option. And gentlemen it's about capacity not what is present at the current moment. It doesnt matter if there is only one seat in the entire facility, but if that same facility is large enough to reasonably seat 2,499 more people without violating the fire code then concealed carry is a no go.

Did you actually see the word "zoo" in the printout the staff member presented to you? Because I just did a word search for the word zoo on the copy of my 2009 disk for all the Firearm Laws of Michigan and came up with a big fat zero. He must have just inserted that in there somewhere before printing.

Last edited:

maustin195

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

Yes, I can easily see the courts viewing the zoo as an "entertainment facility" and given how the original poster described the size of this particular "facility" it could easily seat 2,500 people or more so concealed carry would not have been an option. And gentlemen it's about capacity not what is present at the current moment. It doesnt matter if there is only one seat in the entire facility, but if that same facility is large enough to reasonably seat 2,499 more people without violating the fire code then concealed carry is a no go.

Did you actually see the word "zoo" in the printout the staff member presented to you? Because I just did a word search for the word zoo on the copy of my 2009 disk for all the Firearm Laws of Michigan and came up with a big fat zero. He must have just inserted that in there somewhere before printing.

The facility must be a building or structure that has a seating capacity 2500 or more. As far as a Zoo being an entertainment facility, I doubt it. Looked up every Zoo I can find and not one claims to be for entertainment.

sevenplusone

The facility must be a building or structure that has a seating capacity 2500 or more. As far as a Zoo being an entertainment facility, I doubt it. Looked up every Zoo I can find and not one claims to be for entertainment.

I would argue they would be insulted if you considered them an entertainment facility.

Kovernm

I live about 30 minutes from that zoo and I have never heard that before. I also checked their website and am unable to find any mention of a weapons free area. There is two little icons on the bottom of the page displaying that they accommodate those who may be handicapped and that they are a smoke free facility. So unless that means gun smoke I see nothing.