• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry tourism

rhenriksen

The better half and I spent a 3 day weekend visiting friends in Louisville, KY. I decided to give OC a whirl. Set off from their house en rout to another friend's place and popped in to a Starbucks that was inside a Kroger's. Parked in the parking lot, and it took me a moment to gather myself and step out of the car OCing. Very surreal for me, particularly since a) I'm from another state, and b) I've not seen anyone else OCing while I've been in town.

I got completely ignored by everyone.

The next day, I OC'd in Walmart (buying cheap ammo, of course), and over to Indoor Range - what an amazing place! Covered back up for an amazing dinner @ Seviche.

It's looking like at least 3 years before Texas *might* take up the idea of OC in the legislature, but it was a very entertaining novelty for me to experience it in person while out of town.

rhenriksen

Why three years? Why not next year?

From what I've read, there is broad support among interested citizens to prioritize the legislative goals as follows;

Parking lot bill
Campus carry
Open carry

And that's not all likely to get pushed through in one session. So I think it's likely that OC will come up as a major goal not in 2011, but if the first two aren't chubbed to death (again), then hopefully OC in 2013.

Jack House

I've often thought of going to visit another state for vacation where I am free to OC... even posted a thread asking about the legality of it.
Yeah, I probably be spending a lot of time out of state now that I will be working and have an income. My brother and sister live in Kansas, and if I recall correctly, Kansas allows open carry. Could be wrong, haven't really bothered to check all the laws as it's still a few months away before I am able to visit them anyway. But yeah, if legal, I definitely plan on open carrying. I'll probably make my sister get a gun as well, since she is a single mother.

And yes Parking Lot, Campus, and Open carry are all extremely important measures to get passed, I personally wouldn't say one trumps the others(aside from maybe campus carry, but thats just me). Especially with the recent SCOTUS ruling and hopefully getting the bills introduced earlier there ought be a great deal more wind in the sails this legislative session.
Personally for me, open carry is the most important of the three. Though that's not to say I feel that way overall. All are equally important in the general sense, but as they apply to me, open carry is the only one that will really have much impact on my day to day life.

Personally, I'd love to see conceal carry at your place of employment. I can understand employers not wanting their employees to open carry, but employees should be allowed to conceal carry. Atleast so long as they do a good job of concealing the weapon so that the customers are unaware that you are armed.

Heck, I've been wondering, if some one had the time and money couldn't they sue claiming say... the restriction on campus carry, to be a violation of the 2a? Much in the same way Heller vs DC or McDonald vs Chicago?
Unfortunately no, the justices made it clear that they support such laws.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
I have been to Louisville monthly for several days since Feb and OC every time. I fly from TX and never had a problem other than when the airlines lost my luggage w/pistol. I didn't see any other OCers either but didn't feel uncomfortable. I tried to link up with some on Kentucky's Forum but ran out of time.

Next time your there, the thread is still in that states forum. I had a few takers, but time was an issue.

Good luck.