• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Beach Rec Centers

Chkultr

Just giving a heads up on the VB Rec centers. Simple version....You might be asked (encouraged) to put it away!

My wife came home today from work. She was telling me about a meeting they had.

She tells me her boss told them of reports of people carrying in the Bayside and PrincessAnne Rec centers. (My wife works at a rec center not listed) The boss wants the employees of her rec center to ask for a CCW/CHP if they see someone with a gun.....(my wife is wondering why if it is in the open)

Her boss then tells them that she is "just saying" and instructs them to encourage the person carrying to put it away! My wife instructs her that she is not going to infringe on someone's rights just because people are uncomfortable!

Guess I did ok on getting her to know the info!

curtiswr

Did she happen to ask under what authority the Virginia Beach Department of Parks & Recreation claims to be able to "instruct"/enforce any of what she and the other employees were "just told" what to do?

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
Did she happen to ask under what authority the Virginia Beach Department of Parks & Recreation claims to be able to "instruct"/enforce any of what she and the other employees were "just told" what to do?

I think they are hoping people will just cover up not knowing their rights or just not wanting to "rock the boat". If they simply ask you to cover up and you do voluntary then you willingly gave up your right just like say yes when an officer ask to search you car.

What did he say to do if they refused to cover up?

paramedic70002

Perhaps on election day they can ask people not to vote.

Maybe they can ask minorities not to get into the pool, that might make some people uncomfortable.

I too am curious what the next step is when somebody says, "No."

Chkultr

Her boss

Is a she.... the only response she kept giving was " I am just saying". "Just encourage them to put it away". I think that is all the recommendations she was giving. My wife said she is sure it is coming from higher up and they do not know the laws. My wife said they are just setting themselves up for a suit! She refuses to tell someone they can't have it in the rec center! She said they are just hoping people will cover up!!!

When my wife goes back to work I am sending her in with some of Ed's cards to leave with her boss.

I oc every time I go see my wife while she is working! Will be interested in seeing what if anything happens now!

Once again this is just a heads up on a meeting that took place. They DO NOT have procedures set in place to try and disarm anyone! Just to ask for a CCW/CHP! (for what I have no idea)

2a4all

Is a she.... the only response she kept giving was " I am just saying". "Just encourage them to put it away". I think that is all the recommendations she was giving. My wife said she is sure it is coming from higher up and they do not know the laws. My wife said they are just setting themselves up for a suit! She refuses to tell someone they can't have it in the rec center! She said they are just hoping people will cover up!!!

When my wife goes back to work I am sending her in with some of Ed's cards to leave with her boss.

I oc every time I go see my wife while she is working! Will be interested in seeing what if anything happens now!

Once again this is just a heads up on a meeting that took place. They DO NOT have procedures set in place to try and disarm anyone! Just to ask for a CCW/CHP! (for what I have no idea)

It sounds like your wife could be in a bit of a pickle. If she doesn't follow instructions, she could be in trouble with her boss. Giving her Ed's cards is a good idea, but she should only give them to her boss, not to rec center patrons.

I'm guessing that the request for a permit might be the predicate to a "cover it up" request, to avoid asking someone who doesn't have a permit to do so.

Chkultr

thinking

It sounds like your wife could be in a bit of a pickle. If she doesn't follow instructions, she could be in trouble with her boss. Giving her Ed's cards is a good idea, but she should only give them to her boss, not to rec center patrons.

I'm guessing that the request for a permit might be the predicate to a "cover it up" request, to avoid asking someone who doesn't have a permit to do so.

I was thinking if she left a few with her boss, then her boss would/could share with the other supervisors of the other rec centers.

I am not even sure if they are asking people for a CCW/CHP at the two rec centers where "guns have been reported being seen". I posted on here to see if anyone has been asked and to give the heads up you might be asked!

That isn't a "rule", yet! Just a request that no one in the meeting is going to follow after my wife explained that there is no need to ask....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I was thinking if she left a few with her boss, then her boss would/could share with the other supervisors of the other rec centers.

I am not even sure if they are asking people for a CCW/CHP at the two rec centers where "guns have been reported being seen". I posted on here to see if anyone has been asked and to give the heads up you might be asked!

That isn't a "rule", yet! Just a request that no one in the meeting is going to follow after my wife explained that there is no need to ask....

A supervisor "asking" or "suggesting to" a subordinate employee to perform an act which is contrary to law, or seeks to violate the rights of another, is committing a number of offenses, as well as (probably) violating city HR policy. "I'm just saying ...." is not a way to get arround that - in fact it makes the violations more egregious.

Admittedly your wife's filing a grievance against the supervisor will create lots of repercussions, but it is one way to deal with the issue. Or she could do the "I'm just a woman and a good employee who's confused" routine and merely inquire of the next higher level of supervision about the legality/appropriateness of the instruction - either through channels or over her immediate supervisor's head.

How come we never complain when we see unarmed people in places like this, or the grocery store? The sight of unarmed people makes me very uncomfortable. In fact, it scares me. Don't I have a "right" to not be made to feel uncomfortable? And a "right" not to be made to be afraid?

stay safe.

t33j

I'll be visiting Va Beach tomorrow. Does anyone have a recommendation about parks I should visit while OCing?
Wouldn't really know about municipal parks but First Landing isn't bad for a nice afternoon walk. Too bad it's a state park...
Mt. Trashmore???

riverrat10k

Sounds like a round-about way to get her to ask you to cover!