• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Galco FLETCH - Opinions from 1911 owners please

t33j

Decided to go with the (slightly less than optimal) FLETCH because of a lack of stocked 4.25" 1911 holster options with the attributes I require. I'll let you know how it goes.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I still use one for my full-size 1911s. It is fairly comfortable, the only thing I don't like is the angle at which it sits at the belt.

t33j

Initial thoughts - 4" model:

Ride height is less of a concern than I thought it would be. I would still prefer a slightly lower ride (perhaps .5") for ease of draw. I tend to carry >3 o'clock so the cant is a good thing for me.

Fits my Kimber Custom Target II and Dan Wesson CBOB without any breaking in... of course they are still pretty snug. Too much so for a good draw but that will come with time. The Kimber sticks out from the bottom < .5", the CBOB is about .25" short from being flush with the bottom.

The retention strap accommodates both pistols in condition 1 without any hassle at all.

One glaring problem I've found is that the pad against which you press to release the button on the retention strap is too small. Especially for 1911s with any decently sized beavertail. It needs to be extended vertically by .5".

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

BEST EVER 1911 holster

the hands down best holster for a 1911 is the safariland ALS holster model number 6377! i have had one for quite a while now and i will never need another holster for any of my 1911's!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can check the posts on michigans thread look for holster suggestion for a 1911 to see pics. maybe 5 guys on the site i know of bought one and 5 of my family members and a handful of my friends. there are some great pics of the holster and i write a few post on it and there are several reviews all positive! you can have one for 34 dollars with shipping!:monkey

heliopolissolutions

For me, it wasn't the right holster.

I don't often carry a 1911, but the Fletch wasn't right for me, it was too high, my arms are kind of long and my hips are kind of high, so it wasn't a good fit.

To be fair though, it didn't get a fair trial, I didn't really give it an opportunity by spending time getting used to the draw.
I'd say if you can find someplace thats amenable to returns, to give it a go for a week or so (try to be gentle on the leather in case you have to return it) and see if it works.

Never really know until you try it.

t33j

I have one... or at least a safariland very similar to it, and I find it very uncomfortable. The adjustable plastic belt loop portion is probably the most glaring problem. While it is sufficiently rigid, it also presses against my body and becomes bothersome after about 2 hours. I've yet to find a comfortable plastic holster.

Last edited:

230therapy

Galco leather holsters...ICK!!!

I have found every Galco holster I have owned just was not very good. Some were too tight even after break-in. All of them were very noisy...they just 'creak' too much. Something just isn't right with them. I think it has to do with how they mold the gun (too generic) and the way they cut the belt slots.

I went to DeSantis and it's been much, much better. I have several Thumb Break Scabbards and Cozy Partner IWB's. They're well made and competitively priced. I have a Cozy Partner that's over a decade old and still going strong. The stitches are still good and the leather still holds the gun. I did replace the straps because those did finally wear out.

That said, I really do like Galco's dual magazine holder (shown in the photo). It is a bit wide, but I've used it for years. I also use DeSantis' Secure Magazine Pouch, as well as the FTU Single Magazine Pouch. The Secure Magazine Pouch uses a heavy clip to attach to the belt. I have carried them for a decade and used them in 10+ handgun courses. They have never come off my belt. That said, the metal clip will severely scrape your leather belt. Keep that in mind; this is why I switched to the FTU when wearing my Comp-Tac belt.

glock-cozy-partner.jpg

Last edited: