• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Galco FLETCH - Opinions from 1911 owners please

t33j

Anybody out there carry a 1911 in a Galco Fletch? How do you like it?

I use one for my USP Compact and love it EXCEPT for the fact that I can't carry it in condition 1 because of the retention strap.

DavidC77

Anybody out there carry a 1911 in one of these? How do you like it?

I use one for my USP Compact and love it EXCEPT for the fact that I can't carry it in condition 1 because of the retention strap.

I like leather thumb break holsters, you have to watch out for some holsters as they will not allow the 1911 to be carryed "cocked & locked".

I use a DeSantis 1CL when I carry my 1911 http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=3986 (my regular carry gun is a S&W M&P 40 FS that at this time I carry in a FLETCH holster) .

(Sorry for some reason the url isn't going to the right page, just click the link then click the S&W logo then click the S&W logo again then go to the bottom and click 1911 5" then click belt holsters then click C&L TBS. Hopefully it will bring you right there but if not do what I just layed out, sorry.)

I really like the Galco FLETCH but if I remember right you can not carry C&Led with that holster.

I have started carrying my guns in Holsters from Mernickle Custom Holsters http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm

I have a holster as well as my belt from them, they make a great product and stand behind their stuff 100 percent.

I'm going to have a thumb break holster http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm (the TB holster is not pitchered it's a PS6-T) made for my S&W 1911 and my M&P. They are also going to make a Mag holder for me.

Try the Mernickle holster or the DeSantis holster (if you can't wait for the Mernickle to be made), you will like both of them I'm sure.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

DavidC77

I bought the FLETCH for the retention strap.
The DeSantis looks nice, but I'm not sure what it would offer over the FLETCH except perhaps price.

Yes I agree about the "retention strap" as I said I carry all my guns with a "thumb Break", I think (and this is just me and what I like) that it is the best way to carry a gun. Either a thumb break or a hook like the BlawkHawk Serpas or a hook (I think it's a hook) on the Bianchi Model 82 CarryLoc.

Again I like a gun that is held in not just "fit" to a open top holster (again that is what I like, others like other styles, that's why there are a million holsters out there).

As far as the DeSantis over the FLETCH. I called Galco awile back and asked about there FLETCH holster and carrying C&Led and the way they make the holster is so you cannot carry the gun C&Led. If I'm carrying my 1911 I'm carrying it C&Led, I'm not carrying it hammer down. The way I look at it (again my view) is if you need to pull the gun it needs to be able to be used the easyest way you can. If you have to pull the hammer back or chamber a round you may not have that time to do it. Yes if you practice pulling it out and chambering a round you will get good at it, but lets face it who has the time to do that day in and day out. Unless you are a professional shooter I don't see Joe or Jane Q public having the time to spend hours a day practicing drawing and firing. If you do great but most of us don't.

I guess that's the long winded answer :) , in short if you like the FLETCH and don't mind carrying not C&Led and you practice drawing that way have at it. As they say it's better to have a gun on you when you need it then for the gun to be sitting at home.

Now Enjoy it and go out and throw a few rounds down range :).

daddy4count

I carried a commander sized 1911 for years in a FLETCH... I absolutely LOVED it.

There was a short period where the strap was a stretch over the hammer in condition ONE, but it broke in with the rest of the leather.

This is probably one of the best leather hip holsters you can buy, IMO.

t33j

Yes I agree about the "retention strap" as I said I carry all my guns with a "thumb Break", I think (and this is just me and what I like) that it is the best way to carry a gun. Either a thumb break or a hook like the BlawkHawk Serpas or a hook (I think it's a hook) on the Bianchi Model 82 CarryLoc.

Again I like a gun that is held in not just "fit" to a open top holster (again that is what I like, others like other styles, that's why there are a million holsters out there).

As far as the DeSantis over the FLETCH. I called Galco awile back and asked about there FLETCH holster and carrying C&Led and the way they make the holster is so you cannot carry the gun C&Led. If I'm carrying my 1911 I'm carrying it C&Led, I'm not carrying it hammer down. The way I look at it (again my view) is if you need to pull the gun it needs to be able to be used the easyest way you can. If you have to pull the hammer back or chamber a round you may not have that time to do it. Yes if you practice pulling it out and chambering a round you will get good at it, but lets face it who has the time to do that day in and day out. Unless you are a professional shooter I don't see Joe or Jane Q public having the time to spend hours a day practicing drawing and firing. If you do great but most of us don't.

I guess that's the long winded answer :) , in short if you like the FLETCH and don't mind carrying not C&Led and you practice drawing that way have at it. As they say it's better to have a gun on you when you need it then for the gun to be sitting at home.

Now Enjoy it and go out and throw a few rounds down range :).

We agree that the only way to carry a 1911 is in condition one. I recently saw someone with a fullsize 1911 in a FLETCH in condition one. When I asked to verify that it was a FLETCH and he was in condition 1 he said yeah.

It will not hold my USP in condition one without a modification.

daddy4count

You might also check out the Silhouette from Galco... very similar to the FLETCH but with the barrel end open for various lengths... if you don't mind the business end visible.

They do make a FLETCH for the 5" 1911... thumb break will stretch to fit the cocked hammer.

I am surprised that the thumb break does not fit on the USP model. I would think that with a little work you could get it to fit... one of the nice things about leather is its ability to stretch. It always takes a few days of two-handed snapping before any of them loosen up. Some take more effort than others.

I have a friend who claimed his Miami Classic would not fit his 1911 over a cocked hammer... he swore it up and down until I showed him mine. At first he assumed it was because mine was black leather and his was tan... must make a difference, right? But he begrudgingly agreed to try and stretch it...

It took him a few days, but he called me very excited that he made it work for his too.

DavidC77

We agree that the only way to carry a 1911 is in condition one. I recently saw someone with a fullsize 1911 in a FLETCH in condition one. When I asked to verify that it was a FLETCH and he was in condition 1 he said yeah.

It will not hold my USP in condition one without a modification.

Ya as I said I called Galco and they told me they do not make it to carry C&Led and that they do not reccomend carrying it that way, they pi$$ed me off by saying that and that is the main reason I bought the DeSantis. As I said I really like the FLETCH but if the company feels that way I will not buy from them. Yes I could have bought the FLETCH and made it work as others have said they did, but again Galco told me that if the holster went back to them for any warrenenty work they would not back it because I would have modifed the holster to carry the gun in a way that it wasn't meant to be carryed.

I buy every thing from Mernickle Holsters now. http://www.mernickleholsters.com/

I even contacted him about a magazine holster that I want him to make for me, he doesn't make it but he liked the idea and told me that once he made mine he was going to add it to his line of products. He makes great stuff and it has been holding up great. I just have to get some money scratched together now and have him make the mag holster and the other two gun holsters I want, that darn money tree out back hasn't been giving up the money to easy lately :) .

See Ya

David

cbpeck

That might piss me off too... go ahead and design your product however you want but keep your recommendations about how I carry my weapon to yourself...

I understand disagreeing with Galco on their thumb break policy, but I think its important to remember their concerns about liability. They design the thumb break to be used in a specific way, and probably couldn't care less how you use it, but want to make sure they aren't endorsing that it be used any other way. Its no different than a drug company that gives dosage instructions... you may elect to take a med differently, and that's fine, but don't hold us liable. In today's sue happy world everybody's hypersensitive to legal action, especially the firearm industry.

I have a great deal of respect for Galco products. They are very well made, readily available, and reasonably priced. I have several of their concealable belt holsters for various guns and am quite happy with them. Their dress gun belts are also gorgeous.

My $.02.

DavidC77

but don't hold us liable.
My $.02.

AH OK you work for Galco, no just kidding.

As I said I like there holster, I still carry my daily gun (S&W M&P 40 FS) in one (untill I have Mernickle make me one).

I didn't like that they didn't make one for a C&Led so as I said that's why I bought the DeSantis (at that time I didn't know about Mernickle Holsters). Will the way they treated me stop me from buying another Galco Holster, maybe but maybe not. I checked before I bought the holster for the 1911, they told me up front that it wasn't made to work the way I wanted it so I do like them for that.

David

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I used to have a thumb break holster for my Officers .45 where I positioned the thumb strap between the hammer and pin so I could carry C & L. It worked fine for me for many years. I thought it was a Galco but honestly can't remember at this point. Is this not possible with the Fletch? Personally, i would have a problem with any holster than does not allow C & L carry.

For the last few years I have loved the Galco Concealable Belt Holster. No retention except friction molded, and I use it for all my concealed carry.

For open carry I use a Safariland ALS holster. The release mechanism is positioned right next to the safety, so it falls naturally to the thumb and I didn't have to relearn a new technique to draw my weapon as I would have with the Serpa's.

I realize I am giving you more than just my opinion on the Fletch, but more info gives you more choices in making your decisions.

Cheers.

DavidC77

I used to have a thumb break holster for my Officers .45 where I positioned the thumb strap between the hammer and pin so I could carry C & L. It worked fine for me for many years. I thought it was a Galco but honestly can't remember at this point. Is this not possible with the Fletch? Personally, i would have a problem with any holster than does not allow C & L carry.

Yes you are seeing right, the FLETCH is designed not to be carryed C&Led. It can be done but you have to twist the leather oddly untill it sets to that shape. As I said when I talked with Galco they say that the FLETCH is not suppose to be carryed C&Led but hammer down. I didn't buy it because of that, I bought the DESantis.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
David,
Your comments spurred me to dig deep in the back of my gunsafe and I actually found the old holster I used buried on a back shelf.

Son of a gun if it isn't a DeSantis holster! Great black leather construction with a thumb break that allowed me to carry C & L. Very comfortable and high quality.

Just too big for my current Kimber Ultra.

Cheers.

t33j

David,
Your comments spurred me to dig deep in the back of my gunsafe and I actually found the old holster I used buried on a back shelf.

Son of a gun if it isn't a DeSantis holster! Great black leather construction with a thumb break that allowed me to carry C & L. Very comfortable and high quality.

Cheers.
Hmmm... now how to get it in tan and for a 4.25" barrel.

DavidC77

David,

Cheers.

That's funny :) , I'm glad you found "old faithfull" :) .

Now as far as your Kimber Ultra, just give Mernickle http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ a call and he can fix you right up :) .

As a matter of fact my wife said I can call him today as my birthday is coming up. She said I could order my new holster and Mag holster from him as my B-Day present, what a nice wife :) .

See Ya

Last edited:

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I've used the Fletch, but it rides a little too high for me. In the Galco line, I prefer the Combat Master which feels as if it rides about an inch lower, but I usually carry concealed. The absence of a retention strap might be an issue for you.

t33j

I've used the Fletch, but it rides a little too high for me. In the Galco line, I prefer the Combat Master which feels as if it rides about an inch lower, but I usually carry concealed. The absence of a retention strap might be an issue for you.
Looked at the Combat Master for quite a while, but I require a retention strap for OC. I'm considering other holsters now.