• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unwelcome Visitors On My Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightme

You are assuming facts not in evidence. It was simply a statement of fact that my property is well protected. No threat of bodily harm.
Then your statement was worded poorly here, if that was not your intent. I am not "assuming facts not in evidence. I am reading your words as you presented them.

gis said:
In fact I said it with a smile on my face.
That is a fact that "was not in evidence." Maybe if you had included it, your meaning (as presented here) would have been more in line with your actual intent.
gis said:
People hear things the way they want to hear them, you included.
I did not "want to hear" any specific; I could only go by what you wrote.
gis said:
To be more specific, I was assertive, I informed her that she was trespassing (how she could have missed the No Trespassing and security company signs alternating every 30 feet I do not know), said that I did not care what she was doing there, informed her that the she needed to leave, said that if my wife was home alone, she and her party would already be under arrest by the local PD, informed her that the property is well protected, and that any further crimes on my property would be dealt with in accordance to the the law and level of threat, and that if she ever came back she would be arrested in front of her kids.
That seems to be more in line with your actual meaning than your OP.

wrightme

Using binoculars to observe people from a distance on his property makes him a pedo, simply because there happened to be two children with the trespassing adults?

No, going out there naked would have since there were children present. :rolleyes:

Read ALL of the words, not just a few of them.

Wangmuf

No, going out there naked would have since there were children present. :rolleyes:

I read the bolded part of the post you originally quoted. I didn't remember it being bolded in the OP, so I assumed you were responding to what was emphasized. I also thought you just disagreed in general to the going out nude. Comprehension/1+1=2 fail on my part. Oops.

riverrat10k

This is rich. If I am sunbathing naked on my property, I discern intruders, and go to investigate naked, I am a pedophile? LOL. Prove that, and I got a case for endangering the children by trespassing in the presence of a pervert!
Nudity is not sinful. Sorry. Along with gun laws, laws that make fornication sinful are among the most ridiculous.

wrightme

This is rich. If I am sunbathing naked on my property, I discern intruders, and go to investigate naked, I am a pedophile? LOL. Prove that, and I got a case for endangering the children by trespassing in the presence of a pervert!
Nudity is not sinful. Sorry. Along with gun laws, laws that make fornication sinful are among the most ridiculous.

Tell that to the people who got prosecuted for indecent exposure when their drapes were open.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Responses to this are interesting to say the least.

While a fairly small plot at 20 acres, it is not much different than what we had to deal with on the farm.

To those stating the OP was an ass, well good for him! I can only assume you have no concept of what it is actually like to own property in the country that for whatever reason, morons see the use of said land at their own beck and call. You have not had to pick up the trash, litter, waste oil, beer cans, and animals these users leave behind.

We had a dairy farm, Holstein's, a fairly tame breed but and it is a big but, they are not always tame and we in fact had a bull that produced well (or he would have been served up at McDonalds) who was mean as can be and would charge instantly, no matter what. There wasn't a straight piece of metal on the truck because of him and trust me, when your truck goes up on two wheels because he caught you from the side you fully understand why you ain't walkin across the open field.

Since they would break the valve instead of the lock on the fuel tanks, we employed the false advertising strategy, put the unleaded sticker on the diesel tank and vice versa. Worked like a charm, typically found em about two miles down the road.

Then there is the knock on the door, some city slicker brought his ultimate jeep down and "thought it was ok since the gate was open" which it never was or the cattle would have been walking up the road like they always do when they get out, and now he is stuck in the back forty. Of course your gonna have to take the tractor up there, drag his lame butt out of whatever trouble he got into when you really need to be chopping silage, mowing, raking or bailing hay etc. When you get there you find out the idiot thought he could do a little boulder climbing and busted his tranny and oil pan wide open and it is running into the spring, so much for the water the cattle drink, how do you like your milk, 10w40 or ATF?

Here is a clue, most folks who buy plots of land do so for a reason, they want to be left alone and whenever they want company they invite em over or go to town. If you stop off at the house and ask to shoot, hunt, swim, 4 wheel, archery or even just enjoy a walk in the woods, they may well become your friend, warn you of the hazards that are on their property and outline the courtesy's they expect to be shown in exchange for the use of the property. Oh and when you think it might be a good idea to go cow tipping, poaching, or chasing cattle with your shiny 4wd suv, the Leupold is actually dead on at 300 yards, that first one is cotton wadding flying out of the end of a 300 win mag, the next one is a boat tail at about 2780 fps, you had better drive FAST.

I can not tell you how many folks have stopped and had a picnic in the "yard" over the years but it is a bunch, the three acres next to the house were well shaded, the site of the old outhouse, mowed weekly because grandma wanted that way and it has a view from an elevated position worth a million bucks. No one was ever refused, some kids even got a tractor ride down to get the cows, got to pet a calf and taste milk from the tit squirted 20 inches.

I would offer that most land owners are very friendly people who enjoy others enjoying their land as they do but are not to be crossed. Taking pictures by the pond, sure, go for it if you ask, walking out there by yourself and making me disrupt my activities I WANTED TO DO TODAY because you lack courtesy, you ain't gonna like the response and if you do it again, you REALLY ain't gonna like it because you may well have to change your underpants when it is over.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Responses to this are interesting to say the least.

While a fairly small plot at 20 acres, it is not much different than what we had to deal with on the farm.

To those stating the OP was an ass, well good for him! I can only assume you have no concept of what it is actually like to own property in the country that for whatever reason, morons see the use of said land at their own beck and call. You have not had to pick up the trash, litter, waste oil, beer cans, and animals these users leave behind.

We had a dairy farm, Holstein's, a fairly tame breed but and it is a big but, they are not always tame and we in fact had a bull that produced well (or he would have been served up at McDonalds) who was mean as can be and would charge instantly, no matter what. There wasn't a straight piece of metal on the truck because of him and trust me, when your truck goes up on two wheels because he caught you from the side you fully understand why you ain't walkin across the open field.

Since they would break the valve instead of the lock on the fuel tanks, we employed the false advertising strategy, put the unleaded sticker on the diesel tank and vice versa. Worked like a charm, typically found em about two miles down the road.

Then there is the knock on the door, some city slicker brought his ultimate jeep down and "thought it was ok since the gate was open" which it never was or the cattle would have been walking up the road like they always do when they get out, and now he is stuck in the back forty. Of course your gonna have to take the tractor up there, drag his lame butt out of whatever trouble he got into when you really need to be chopping silage, mowing, raking or bailing hay etc. When you get there you find out the idiot thought he could do a little boulder climbing and busted his tranny and oil pan wide open and it is running into the spring, so much for the water the cattle drink, how do you like your milk, 10w40 or ATF?

Here is a clue, most folks who buy plots of land do so for a reason, they want to be left alone and whenever they want company they invite em over or go to town. If you stop off at the house and ask to shoot, hunt, swim, 4 wheel, archery or even just enjoy a walk in the woods, they may well become your friend, warn you of the hazards that are on their property and outline the courtesy's they expect to be shown in exchange for the use of the property. Oh and when you think it might be a good idea to go cow tipping, poaching, or chasing cattle with your shiny 4wd suv, the Leupold is actually dead on at 300 yards, that first one is cotton wadding flying out of the end of a 300 win mag, the next one is a boat tail at about 2780 fps, you had better drive FAST.

I can not tell you how many folks have stopped and had a picnic in the "yard" over the years but it is a bunch, the three acres next to the house were well shaded, the site of the old outhouse, mowed weekly because grandma wanted that way and it has a view from an elevated position worth a million bucks. No one was ever refused, some kids even got a tractor ride down to get the cows, got to pet a calf and taste milk from the tit squirted 20 inches.

I would offer that most land owners are very friendly people who enjoy others enjoying their land as they do but are not to be crossed. Taking pictures by the pond, sure, go for it if you ask, walking out there by yourself and making me disrupt my activities I WANTED TO DO TODAY because you lack courtesy, you ain't gonna like the response and if you do it again, you REALLY ain't gonna like it because you may well have to change your underpants when it is over.

DAMN WELL PUT!!!!!
applause.gif

And some of us really do like peace and quiet This will get deleted.

[video=vimeo;13102778]http://vimeo.com/13102778[/video]

Last edited:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Then there is the knock on the door, some city slicker brought his ultimate jeep down and "thought it was ok since the gate was open" which it never was or the cattle would have been walking up the road like they always do when they get out, and now he is stuck in the back forty. Of course your gonna have to take the tractor up there, drag his lame butt out of whatever trouble he got into when you really need to be chopping silage, mowing, raking or bailing hay etc.

And the towing charge for such service is how much? Of course, they could get a commercial tow truck to retrieve their vehicle if they thought your charge was too great, but then the commercial tow truck operator would have to get your permission to enter your property.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Then there is the knock on the door, some city slicker brought his ultimate jeep down and "thought it was ok since the gate was open" which it never was or the cattle would have been walking up the road like they always do when they get out, and now he is stuck in the back forty. Of course your gonna have to take the tractor up there, drag his lame butt out of whatever trouble he got into when you really need to be chopping silage, mowing, raking or bailing hay etc.

And the towing charge for such service is how much? Of course, they could get a commercial tow truck to retrieve their vehicle if they thought your charge was too great, but then the commercial tow truck operator would have to get your permission to enter your property.

Never charged em a dime, sometimes it was worth the entertainment alone watching them struggle with a 3/4 link log chain and their misunderstanding of just how much go forward power a 1250 international dually tractor has, it will remove parts and tweak frames long before the front wheels lift. Two of em never went home, a nice 2wd 72 chevy pick up got the lower A frame torn completely out of it while stuck in the mud for the third time (it was a stump on the passenger side) that one was kinda heart breaking. It was eventually removed one part at a time.

A ford 150 with a load of sand took a detour and decided the extra weight and a posi made it excellent at hill climbing, he made it and for whatever reason decided that the terracing we had done on top of the hill was really a series of "jumps" he should enjoy, a painful decision indeed the wet sand was enough to break the frame right behind the cab on the drivers side and when it dug into the ground and hit a rock (lots of them in MO) he ate the steering wheel pretty hard. Needless to say, when his dad arrived to get the truck, he told me he would just mail us the title and we could dispose of it as we saw fit, or he would get it hauled off. Took the bed off it and gave it away, welded a 3/8" plate to the broken frame after jacking it up, hauled it down the hill and sold it for 100 bucks. If the kid had not got his butt kicked by the wheel I think his dad might have, he was mad as a hornet.

Never charged anyone, pulled a lot out of the ditch in the winters, even yanked a few sheriffs cars out of fields when they slid off the road, nothing wrong with helping folks out of a pinch, and a lot of em offered money, polite refusals sometimes resulted in a pie, ham, roast, or other food item and a note of thanks. People used to be like that everywhere. It really is funny, grandma answers the phone and says "Jim" is off the road at "125 and J" and you jump in the truck, drive down and throw the chain down the hill while he hooks up you let the winch line out, pull him up the hill and onto the street and "Jim" ruffles your hair and ask you how school is because his wife is your fifth grade teacher and he is the deputy on duty who has known you since the week you were born. It ain't the same now days, they might have to deploy swat and the helicopter because a 10 year old was driving down the road waving at folks.

I can't even imagine what would happen now days if grandpa sent me into the store to grab a 12 pack of Bud and two packs of Taylors pride chew while he gassed up the truck but I am fairly sure many folks would have a stroke seeing a 5-10 year old do such a thing. Funny thing though, I do not really drink and I do not chew so all that bad influence grandad cast upon me failed to stick, but I am glad the "leave me the hell alone I got work to do" part stuck, it has served me well.

simmonsjoe

To those stating the OP was an ass, well good for him! I can only assume you have no concept of what it is actually like to own property in the country...
you do understand this makes it sound like you think anyone who disagrees with you is poor and stupid? You post did nothing to change anyone's mind, it increased the void.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
you do understand this makes it sound like you think anyone who disagrees with you is poor and stupid? You post did nothing to change anyone's mind, it increased the void.

Sir, with all due respect, if you think anyone operating a non-corporate dairy farm is anything but poor, you are in fact stupid.

Just because folks do not own land or understand the problems associated with doing so does not make them stupid, opening their mouths and saying dumb stuff is usually what proves that.

If you mean do I think folks whom violate signage and purple painted trees are stupid, then yes sir, 100%, if you have been notified you are not welcome and you choose to cross the line without regard for the information you have, in my book you are 100% idiot, stupid and need serious training which a 300 win mag firing a blank cartridge teaches far better than any words my mouth can put into a total moron.

Did you have another point sir?

conhntr

I work for a delivery company and used to deliver in a rural area. About 250 miles a day on all back roads. Any driveway that was posted no trespasing had their parcels returned to the station for will-call pickup. Eventually most of these regular customers made contact with me giving permission to drive up to the house. But I still had several a day I ended up putting in will-call (about 1hour drive for most of the customers)

I don't enter posted property (although most del drivers do) for a few reasons.
1. Respect
2. Dogs! Dogs back a 2mile driveway are different than dogs in a 1/4 acre lot
3. Don't want to suprise a property owner that doesn't want or expect anyone on their property

simmonsjoe

Sir, with all due respect, if you think anyone operating a non-corporate dairy farm is anything but poor, you are in fact stupid.

Just because folks do not own land or understand the problems associated with doing so does not make them stupid, opening their mouths and saying dumb stuff is usually what proves that.

If you mean do I think folks whom violate signage and purple painted trees are stupid, then yes sir, 100%, if you have been notified you are not welcome and you choose to cross the line without regard for the information you have, in my book you are 100% idiot, stupid and need serious training which a 300 win mag firing a blank cartridge teaches far better than any words my mouth can put into a total moron.

Did you have another point sir?
You keep implying I'm stupid if I disagree with you. You make my point for me.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
You keep implying I'm stupid if I disagree with you. You make my point for me.

I have implied nothing of the sort, however you are indeed free to assume whatever suits you sir.

Ignorance and stupidity are separate issues and if one is unable to define the line, they are doomed to their own assumptions.

If you are one whom said the OP was an ass for his actions and you are ignorant of the troubles that are faced by land owners, you have room to back up and acknowledge a simple misunderstanding, if however you are going to bother and try to justify that land owners should take time from their day, force polite behavior to those whom abuse the rights of the land owner, you are going to find it falls on deaf ears sir.

Despite your thoughts on what should be, unwelcome guest are no more due polite behavior than they have earned. I have yet to toss a single person whom was granted permissions to use our lad off of it, I have however made it totally clear to more than one whom felt no need to use our land that their presence was not only unwelcome, it was flat out despised and if it did not cease, it was not the sheriff they needed to worry about.

I am not sure what you are on about, but let me make it clear, despite your opinions otherwise, the op had no duty to be polite what so ever to those not seeking permission to use his property for any reason. If you really think otherwise, please, by all means, drive your auto down to the nearest hood and invite one and all to use your property as they see fit without Resistance or perhaps the "please don't" approach and report back how it is working out for you.

Are you stupid? I do not know, you decide, the op is neither stupid nor an ass, he is simply someone who chooses to be left alone.

If you make the drive and ASK, you will find yourself welcome to use the "range" on the property, if you pull up, park and start firing weapons and I do not know the car/truck, your not going to enjoy the visit and who cares what your thoughts are, its my land. How exactly does it make me an ass because you do not like the treatment? What is it about permission you do not understand? The OP did not object to photos, he objected to use without permission.

If the lady had stopped by and said "I love that pond out there and I would really like to take some photos of the kids by it." the response would have likely been "Go for it and if the kids want to take a dip they are welcome, just let me know a day ahead of time and I will be sure the dogs are penned as they tend to be kind of territorial and I do not want to see on of the kid get bit." and on our farm it would have been no different other than to add "if you can se the cows, the bull is around and it is a mean SOB, don't cross the fence if they are not up on the hill cause he will trample everyone of you!"

What part of permission is it you do not get? Perhaps it is you yourself that FEEL stupid because of your own comments? Own your own stuff and move on sir.

wrightme

"Difficulties faced by landowners" are not excuses for poor behavior, no matter how much you desire it to be so to allow you to browbeat someone on the Internetz.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
"Difficulties faced by landowners" are not excuses for poor behavior, no matter how much you desire it to be so to allow you to browbeat someone on the Internetz.

Re-read the bill of rights, it specifically does not define behavior of individuals, it defines the behavior of the government.

You are quite welcome to like or dislike me of your own accord. Step on MY LAND, play by my rules without any regard for your own thoughts at all and I will do the same when upon yours sir, beyond that there are no questions.

wrightme

Re-read the bill of rights, it specifically does not define behavior of individuals, it defines the behavior of the government.

You are quite welcome to like or dislike me of your own accord. Step on MY LAND, play by my rules without any regard for your own thoughts at all and I will do the same when upon yours sir, beyond that there are no questions.
It isn't about the BoR. Even on your own land, you are held to the rule of law in defining your actions. Even on your own land, you are not free to act in any way you desire; though you seem to believe this to be true.

The broken rule of another does not justify a broken rule by you.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I never claimed to play by the rules.

I also clearly defined that another misbehavior warrants good behavior of my own or the OP's. He nor I am under any restrictions to be polite, pleasant, or even kind to those whom abuse us.

If a cotton wad out of a 300 win mag makes you crap your pants and get the hell off land where you have no right to be, so be it, I have neither the time nor the responsibility to explain things to you, be gone or wish you were and I can assure you, despite your own opinions, your gonna be gone, even when you call the law, your gonna be the one leaving.

wrightme

I never claimed to play by the rules.

I also clearly defined that another misbehavior warrants good behavior of my own or the OP's. He nor I am under any restrictions to be polite, pleasant, or even kind to those whom abuse us.

If a cotton wad out of a 300 win mag makes you crap your pants and get the hell off land where you have no right to be, so be it, I have neither the time nor the responsibility to explain things to you, be gone or wish you were and I can assure you, despite your own opinions, your gonna be gone, even when you call the law, your gonna be the one leaving.

Responding to unlawful behavior with unlawful behavior provides LE with TWO persons to arrest, no matter how much you seem to desire it to be otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.