Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm vs .40 vs .45 ...From the mouth of a Navy SEAL (funny)

Thumbs up 9mm vs .40 vs .45 ...From the mouth of a Navy SEAL (funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVBYlHsIRY

thought this was pretty funny @ 1:28

"Being a 9mm some people might say, "well, its only a 9mm, it won't do anything" ...but, when I put two rounds through your heart and one through your head, you won't know the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by YoZUpZ View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVBYlHsIRY

thought this was pretty funny @ 1:28

"Being a 9mm some people might say, "well, its only a 9mm, it won't do anything" ...but, when I put two rounds through your heart and one through your head, you won't know the difference."
    That's an awesome quote. I still like my .40, but I'll give credit where it's due for that one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YoZUpZ View Post
    ..."Being a 9mm some people might say, "well, its only a 9mm, it won't do anything" ...but, when I put two rounds through your heart and one through your head, you won't know the difference."
    Wow. It takes three 9mm rounds in vital organs to kill you??? It's worse than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Wow. It takes three 9mm rounds in vital organs to kill you??? It's worse than I thought!
    hahahaha!

Caliber, to me, is more a personal choice. I like my 45, but thats just me. I know a few people actually that don't like to shoot my pistol because it has more recoil then their 9mm.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    hahahaha!

Caliber, to me, is more a personal choice. I like my 45, but thats just me. I know a few people actually that don't like to shoot my pistol because it has more recoil then their 9mm.
    Oh, I absolutely agree. I am just constitutionally incapable of passing up a chance to make a smart-*** remark.

I lug a .45 around too. That has a downside v. a 9mm. I have a decided list to my right.

shooting-twice-is-silly.jpg

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    That was old.... this is new
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnKd6iXHTQg
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    ehhh, I got 17, 115 grain high velocity rounds - against your 8 sub sonic 230 grain slow boys.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    ehhh, I got 17, 115 grain high velocity rounds - against your 8 sub sonic 230 grain slow boys.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

With my FNH FNP-45 or my Para Big Hawg, both at 15+1,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hol-hawg1.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	3081 I'll spot you your whole extra 1 115 grain bullet. BTW you won't hear my sub sonic 230 grain JHP bullets coming at you when they fly through my suppressor. http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=647

It isn't optimal but I can fire my KRISS using one hand and it uses 30 round glock21 mags. :-) But for everyday carry I will stick with my Para Big Hawg, FNH FNP-45 or USP at a measily 12+1. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRISS-mine.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	3080
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 06-29-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Nope. Just one. The other two are kisses good-bye.

Oh, and my 17 x 9mm rounds are 147 gr JHP.
    Last edited by since9; 07-01-2010 at 04:21 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    hahahaha!

From 1991 to 1994, the only firearm I had was a Ruger Redhawk (.44 magnum), and I trained the same way as I do now: two to the heart (double-tapped), one to the head.

By comparison, firing a .45 (or 9 mm, or .380 ACP) is a joke. Way too easy.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

I love the double tap. Boom Boom (pop pop if you have a 9)

Cool

Pop pop is fine with me. it's the sound of 2 closely spaced 115 grain +p federal Hyrdashok rounds on the way to their target. 115 grain, 147 Sub Sonics or 230 grain 45 ACP rounds....the guy is just as dead.

Nice toy that Kriss is.... My SR-556 will drop that Kriss long before it's ever in range.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    From 1991 to 1994, the only firearm I had was a Ruger Redhawk (.44 magnum), and I trained the same way as I do now: two to the heart (double-tapped), one to the head.

By comparison, firing a .45 (or 9 mm, or .380 ACP) is a joke. Way too easy.
    Hey, Dirty Harry. ummm. the 44 super redhawk, Big, heavy & Slow on the draw, massive recoil prevents quick follow up shots & your limited to 6 shots.... it's a hand cannon, not made for gun fighting, made for Hunting big game.. 44 Mag great against Bears ......but, please...your double taps with that 44 mag....SLOW double taps at best.

I sold the things, when I worked at the gun store...I know what they are & what they are good for.

Pop pop is fine with me. it's the sound of 2 closely spaced 115 grain +p federal Hyrdashok rounds on the way to their target. 115 grain, 147 Sub Sonics or 230 grain 45 ACP rounds....the guy is just as dead.

Nice toy that Kriss is.... My SR-556 will drop that Kriss long before it's ever in range.
    The KRISS is more for within 100 yards, CQC and defensive home defense. For self defense purposes around the house I wanted a round that wouldn't penetrate 4 houses before it stopped so the 45acp round is good. I have a light & laser on it for 25 yards and less and the scope for longer ranges out to 150 yards. If I am going on the offensive my DPMS 308 will outshoot your SR-556 by a couple hundred yards. :-)

The KRISS is more for within 100 yards, CQC and defensive home defense. For self defense purposes around the house I wanted a round that wouldn't penetrate 4 houses before it stopped so the 45acp round is good. I have a light & laser on it for 25 yards and less and the scope for longer ranges out to 150 yards. If I am going on the offensive my DPMS 308 will outshoot your SR-556 by a couple hundred yards. :-)
    45acpForMe - I've been interested in the KRISS for some time. Would you be kind enough to write a brief review from an owner/shooter perspective?

Hey, Dirty Harry. ummm. the 44 super redhawk, Big, heavy & Slow on the draw, massive recoil prevents quick follow up shots & your limited to 6 shots.... it's a hand cannon, not made for gun fighting, made for Hunting big game.. 44 Mag great against Bears ......but, please...your double taps with that 44 mag....SLOW double taps at best.

I sold the things, when I worked at the gun store...I know what they are & what they are good for.

Don't forget that a .44 Magnum can be loaded with .44 Special, which is much better suited for personal defense.

If concealment is not an issue, a then DA .44 magnum might just be the ideal all-around handgun. You can load it with snakeshot for snake country, magnum loads for bear country and .44 specials for goblin country. There's really not much more you can ask for.
    Last edited by me812; 07-04-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger .454 View Post
    45acpForMe - I've been interested in the KRISS for some time. Would you be kind enough to write a brief review from an owner/shooter perspective?
    I became interested in the SuperV technology after seeing Future Weapons. Also I was more interested in the SMG fully auto version but because of our insane laws we can't own one. At the time only the 16" barrel version was available to civilians but since then the ATF has approved the short barrel (5.5") version. I considered getting the threaded shorter barrel and putting a suppressor on it but the added $400 conversion and $200 tax stamp made me decide to keep the longer barrel for accuracy. The 16" barrel shoots 6" groups out to 150 yards whereas the 5.5" barrel shoots 12" groups at 100 yards.

Felt recoil is low and muzzle climb is low but I think the SuperV will only shine in fully auto mode. I got the standard gun and not the swat package which would have added $1200 to the price. I got mine for $1600 and added scope, handgrip-laser-light.

It is a fun gun to shoot and definitely looks cool and gets alot of gawkers. I have shot it at 100 yards and added the scope to be able to see what I was hitting.

It is very easy to clean with the removal of four pins (no tools) you can break down the gun and clean it. It has big beefy parts and seems well built. The folding stock allows easy transport. At one point I had a bipod-grip on the front so I could shoot using the bipod, standing and even with the stock folded (one handed or two).

The beefy 45acp round will have a serious impact on any bad guy but won't blow through several of your neighbors houses too. :-) I can use pistol out to 25 yards but with the Kriss I can extend that out to 150yards. The magazines are glock21 mags and the extended 30 round mags will fit a glock21 also.

I use 230grain Federal Hydrashok rounds and never had any misfire.

To compare you would have to look at something like the H&K UMP which is about $1200-$1400 more than the Kriss. I also am not sure if the UMP has 30 round mags. :-)

All in all it is a great gun. About the only thing I would trade it for would be the fully auto (or select fire burst mode) SMG version.

Edited to add: Trigger pull is a crisp 5lbs very much like a 1911.
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 07-04-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by me812 View Post

Don't forget that a .44 Magnum can be loaded with .44 Special, which is much better suited for personal defense.

If concealment is not an issue, a then DA .44 magnum might just be the ideal all-around handgun. You can load it with snakeshot for snake country, magnum loads for bear country and .44 specials for goblin country. There's really not much more you can ask for.

All true, as far as it goes. You can conceal a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan relatively easly due to its short barrel. Get it in .44 cal and you can shoot specials and magnums, as you say. Get it in .45 cal and you can shoot .45 Colt or .454 Casull. Follow up shots with .44 Special or .45 Colt are no slower than .45 ACP.

45acpForMe: Thank you, sir, for the very informative review. Appreciate you taking the the time and effort in sharing your ownership experience.

True > the 308 will out shoot my 5.56. For home Dfense I keep my Mossberg 590A1 next to the bed, 8 - 2 3/4 OO buck shells, ready for racking. plus, the Bayonet Lug is nice for the pig sticker...lol

All true, as far as it goes. You can conceal a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan relatively easly due to its short barrel.

That's true, but the recoil of large-caliber magnum loads out of short-barreled little revolvers like that must be something fierce. If I owned one, I'd save the magnum loads for only the most special occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by me812 View Post
    All true, as far as it goes. You can conceal a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan relatively easly due to its short barrel.

That's true, but the recoil of large-caliber magnum loads out of short-barreled little revolvers like that must be something fierce. If I owned one, I'd save the magnum loads for only the most special occasions.

It's not, actually. I don't know what you're used to shooting, but a long barrel doesn't by itself mitigate felt recoil. The extra weight helps indirectly, of course, but sidearms like the Alaskan aren't lightweights by anyone's estimation. I shoot 9mm (Baretta 92), .40 S&W (Glock 27), and .45/.454 (Ruger Alaskan) and swear to you that the Glock has the most felt recoil and the Ruger has the least. The big Ruger is a sweet shooting weapon, and you can shoot .45 Colt rounds with it all day. It's such a benign weapon that I worked up a hot load that's partway between .45 Colt and .454 Casull in power, and that's what I use for plinking.

I climb in the Rockies every summer, and the Ruger goes with me to the tops of 14,000+ foot tall mountains. (I used to conceal it (Colorado recognizes Alabama's CPL), but this summer I'll be using a thigh rig because I learned that Colorado is an open carry state.) In the Rockies I load with 300 grain solid copper .454 Casull hollowpoints. So loaded, the weapon is effective against bear. As you say, I save the magnum loads for special occasions. Thankfully, I haven't had one of those. Another fellow did, however. I read in just the past month or so that a fellow successfuly defended himself against an attacking grizzley bear with a Ruger Alaskan. It was so close that he had to step aside to avoid being crushed under the dying bear. Had he been carrying a 9mm or .40 S&W, I strongly suspect that he'd be a statistic rather than a survivor.

True > the 308 will out shoot my 5.56. For home Dfense I keep my Mossberg 590A1 next to the bed, 8 - 2 3/4 OO buck shells, ready for racking. plus, the Bayonet Lug is nice for the pig sticker...lol
    The bayonet is a nice touch. :-) I hadn't thought of that. I have a tactical remmington 870 (6+1) 3inch 00 buck. I have two friends that have an AK47 standing in the corner by their bed and their theory is if 1-2 bad guys attack they will address them with shotgun & pistol, but if they bring a bunch of their friends (gang) they will be ready with the AK. :-)

In my case the same thinking applies but I think a rifle round is to hot for a subdivision so like 45acp better. Since I have kids & keep the guns locked up it is faster to get to the shotgun right now than the Kriss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast