• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm vs .40 vs .45 ...From the mouth of a Navy SEAL (funny)

45acpForMe

45acpForMe - I've been interested in the KRISS for some time. Would you be kind enough to write a brief review from an owner/shooter perspective?

I became interested in the SuperV technology after seeing Future Weapons. Also I was more interested in the SMG fully auto version but because of our insane laws we can't own one. At the time only the 16" barrel version was available to civilians but since then the ATF has approved the short barrel (5.5") version. I considered getting the threaded shorter barrel and putting a suppressor on it but the added $400 conversion and $200 tax stamp made me decide to keep the longer barrel for accuracy. The 16" barrel shoots 6" groups out to 150 yards whereas the 5.5" barrel shoots 12" groups at 100 yards.

Felt recoil is low and muzzle climb is low but I think the SuperV will only shine in fully auto mode. I got the standard gun and not the swat package which would have added $1200 to the price. I got mine for $1600 and added scope, handgrip-laser-light.

It is a fun gun to shoot and definitely looks cool and gets alot of gawkers. I have shot it at 100 yards and added the scope to be able to see what I was hitting.

It is very easy to clean with the removal of four pins (no tools) you can break down the gun and clean it. It has big beefy parts and seems well built. The folding stock allows easy transport. At one point I had a bipod-grip on the front so I could shoot using the bipod, standing and even with the stock folded (one handed or two).

The beefy 45acp round will have a serious impact on any bad guy but won't blow through several of your neighbors houses too. :) I can use pistol out to 25 yards but with the Kriss I can extend that out to 150yards. The magazines are glock21 mags and the extended 30 round mags will fit a glock21 also.

I use 230grain Federal Hydrashok rounds and never had any misfire.

To compare you would have to look at something like the H&K UMP which is about $1200-$1400 more than the Kriss. I also am not sure if the UMP has 30 round mags. :)

All in all it is a great gun. About the only thing I would trade it for would be the fully auto (or select fire burst mode) SMG version.

Edited to add: Trigger pull is a crisp 5lbs very much like a 1911.

Last edited:

Ruger .454

Hey, Dirty Harry. ummm. the 44 super redhawk, Big, heavy & Slow on the draw, massive recoil prevents quick follow up shots & your limited to 6 shots.... it's a hand cannon, not made for gun fighting, made for Hunting big game.. 44 Mag great against Bears ......but, please...your double taps with that 44 mag....SLOW double taps at best.

I sold the things, when I worked at the gun store...I know what they are & what they are good for.

Don't forget that a .44 Magnum can be loaded with .44 Special, which is much better suited for personal defense.

If concealment is not an issue, a then DA .44 magnum might just be the ideal all-around handgun. You can load it with snakeshot for snake country, magnum loads for bear country and .44 specials for goblin country. There's really not much more you can ask for.

All true, as far as it goes. You can conceal a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan relatively easly due to its short barrel. Get it in .44 cal and you can shoot specials and magnums, as you say. Get it in .45 cal and you can shoot .45 Colt or .454 Casull. Follow up shots with .44 Special or .45 Colt are no slower than .45 ACP.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The KRISS is more for within 100 yards, CQC and defensive home defense. For self defense purposes around the house I wanted a round that wouldn't penetrate 4 houses before it stopped so the 45acp round is good. I have a light & laser on it for 25 yards and less and the scope for longer ranges out to 150 yards. If I am going on the offensive my DPMS 308 will outshoot your SR-556 by a couple hundred yards. :)

True > the 308 will out shoot my 5.56. For home Dfense I keep my Mossberg 590A1 next to the bed, 8 - 2 3/4 OO buck shells, ready for racking. plus, the Bayonet Lug is nice for the pig sticker...lol

me812

All true, as far as it goes. You can conceal a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan relatively easly due to its short barrel.

That's true, but the recoil of large-caliber magnum loads out of short-barreled little revolvers like that must be something fierce. If I owned one, I'd save the magnum loads for only the most special occasions.

Ruger .454

All true, as far as it goes. You can conceal a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan relatively easly due to its short barrel.

That's true, but the recoil of large-caliber magnum loads out of short-barreled little revolvers like that must be something fierce. If I owned one, I'd save the magnum loads for only the most special occasions.

It's not, actually. I don't know what you're used to shooting, but a long barrel doesn't by itself mitigate felt recoil. The extra weight helps indirectly, of course, but sidearms like the Alaskan aren't lightweights by anyone's estimation. I shoot 9mm (Baretta 92), .40 S&W (Glock 27), and .45/.454 (Ruger Alaskan) and swear to you that the Glock has the most felt recoil and the Ruger has the least. The big Ruger is a sweet shooting weapon, and you can shoot .45 Colt rounds with it all day. It's such a benign weapon that I worked up a hot load that's partway between .45 Colt and .454 Casull in power, and that's what I use for plinking.

I climb in the Rockies every summer, and the Ruger goes with me to the tops of 14,000+ foot tall mountains. (I used to conceal it (Colorado recognizes Alabama's CPL), but this summer I'll be using a thigh rig because I learned that Colorado is an open carry state.) In the Rockies I load with 300 grain solid copper .454 Casull hollowpoints. So loaded, the weapon is effective against bear. As you say, I save the magnum loads for special occasions. Thankfully, I haven't had one of those. Another fellow did, however. I read in just the past month or so that a fellow successfuly defended himself against an attacking grizzley bear with a Ruger Alaskan. It was so close that he had to step aside to avoid being crushed under the dying bear. Had he been carrying a 9mm or .40 S&W, I strongly suspect that he'd be a statistic rather than a survivor.

45acpForMe

True > the 308 will out shoot my 5.56. For home Dfense I keep my Mossberg 590A1 next to the bed, 8 - 2 3/4 OO buck shells, ready for racking. plus, the Bayonet Lug is nice for the pig sticker...lol

The bayonet is a nice touch. :) I hadn't thought of that. I have a tactical remmington 870 (6+1) 3inch 00 buck. I have two friends that have an AK47 standing in the corner by their bed and their theory is if 1-2 bad guys attack they will address them with shotgun & pistol, but if they bring a bunch of their friends (gang) they will be ready with the AK. :)

In my case the same thinking applies but I think a rifle round is to hot for a subdivision so like 45acp better. Since I have kids & keep the guns locked up it is faster to get to the shotgun right now than the Kriss.

elixin77

so the 590A1 has the bayonet lug at the end? good, that was going to be my next purchase anyways, haha.

can't go wrong with a shotgun that has a bayonet at the end :banana:

eye95

so the 590A1 has the bayonet lug at the end? good, that was going to be my next purchase anyways, haha.

can't go wrong with a shotgun that has a bayonet at the end :banana:

Is it possible to fix a bayonet on the end of an Acme disintegrating pistol?

feeldasteel

HA HA HA! this isnt a thread....Its a ******* match!! but it is fun to read.....Ruger P94 .40 is workin just fine for me....I gaurantee you dont wanna be shot by it. And remember folks. If you know what you are doing you can be deadly with a .22! I would feel completely comfortable defending myself with my Walther p22. I got 11 shots and i gaurantee they will all be within an inch of one another....that equals a dead target.

YoZUpZ

The bayonet is a nice touch. :) I hadn't thought of that. I have a tactical remmington 870 (6+1) 3inch 00 buck. I have two friends that have an AK47 standing in the corner by their bed and their theory is if 1-2 bad guys attack they will address them with shotgun & pistol, but if they bring a bunch of their friends (gang) they will be ready with the AK. :)

In my case the same thinking applies but I think a rifle round is to hot for a subdivision so like 45acp better. Since I have kids & keep the guns locked up it is faster to get to the shotgun right now than the Kriss.

That is what an AK shotgun is for... 2 birds with 1 stone (or saiga) :)

Attachments

60.1 KB · Views: 214

hopnpop

tap3x.jpg

There's a thread on another site titled "Is the .380 enough gun?". I like carrying something with a little more "mmfff" but my response was something to the effect of "Would YOU want to be shot with a .380? Me, either." You know what they say, better a well-placed shot with a .22 than a miss or a bad shot with a .45.