• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"concealed" open carry?

MikeDonat

I was told by two people on different occasions that if your strong side is facing away from an officer and not in his line of sight, it is considered "concealed". When I asked the first person for a source on the information, he told me he learned of it in a CCW class (he then told me he didn't have a CCW?) The second time I heard it the man sourced it to a close friend who is a sheriff.
has anyone else heard of this?
-Mike

1245A Defender

the straight scoop

my friends, dads, step brothers wife, is still close to her first husband, that plays poker with a retired cop from
san diego.
he said the gun was not concealed, kinda like open carrying with a fence between you and the cop.
if you have any more questions you would like answered i would be happy to ask my friends, dads, step brothers wife,
to askher first husband, to ask the retired cop from san diego!

jfrey123

You also can't open carry at night... Because guns are usually black and they blend in too well in the darkness therefore making them concealed.

[/sarcasm]

Nevada carrier

Both of the people who fed you this lie are full of sh!t. Even the seat belt covering my holstered firearm doesn't qualify as concealment. Now if I'm driving and cover my firearm with my shirt and seat belt, then I would be carrying a concealed weapon. Of course this will be moot as soon as I mount the Blackhawk Quick disconnect adapter to my center console so I can have my firearm in a more accessible location.

When the police are near, I make no extra effort to hide my strong side from their view, but I don't go out of my way to display it either.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I agree with the others that it isn't concealed just because your body is opaque and may obscure it from certain angles. It's not concealed from ordinary observation, just from observers who happen to miss it because of an unusual angle they happen to view you from or because there is something between them and you, like a wall. I think it may be used as an excuse to ban open carry in one of the states in the south eastern U.S. but here it is not an issue.

Think of how a prosecution would go:

Court: What led you to believe he was carrying a concealed firearm?
Prosecutor: His gun was plainly visible on his hip, that is how I knew he was carrying a concealed firearm. Every time he would turn around it would very briefly vanish before my eyes!

I've only been pulled over one time while driving, and when I was pulled over the cop came to my left window and my gun was on my right hip. I made him aware of it and he gave me no trouble over it and was very professional about it.

Last edited:

ourmanthejoker

If your holster covers the gun in any way, the firearm is concealed.. ... . . . . . bwahahaha

Nevada carrier

If your holster covers the gun in any way, the firearm is concealed.. ... . . . . . bwahahaha

If this were the case I would be the first to patent a holster molded of a transparent polymer, perhaps hang a lanyard that said "Neener-neener" from it as well.

Last edited:

kootsoup

Both of the people who fed you this lie are full of sh!t. Even the seat belt covering my holstered firearm doesn't qualify as concealment.

I was wondering about what you wrote here.. is this correct?? I have been thinking of getting my CCW for the sole reason that I am tired of getting my firearm out of the back of my car every time I want to go anywhere

Nevada carrier

A seat belt is an obstruction or obstacle, it's not part of my person therefor it can not be taken into consideration when determining if my firearm is concealed. If the obstruction were not present and it is otherwise obvious that I am carrying a firearm it is not concealed. Same goes for an arm rest, center console or glove box.

Only clothing or containers carried upon my person can be used to conceal. I can drive with my firearm in the glove box and although you can't see the firearm, it's not concealed by or about my person. If my firearm is in my briefcase sitting on the floor on the other side of the room it is not concealed, if my firearm is in my briefcase which I'm carrying in my hand it is concealed.

When you go for a drive with a holstered firearm, just get in, buckle up with your firearm in it's holster and you are well within the law. just make sure your shirt doesn't cover it. This is why I tuck my shirt in when carrying, there is little chance that it will conceal my firearm incidentally.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

I was wondering about what you wrote here.. is this correct?? I have been thinking of getting my CCW for the sole reason that I am tired of getting my firearm out of the back of my car every time I want to go anywhere

If you do not have a CCW your pistol does not have to be in the back in NV. In can be in the center console, glove box, seat etc..

Just follow what you have already been told here and dont conceal it on your person.

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
For when I am out at night OCing, I am thinking about putting some reflective tape on the grip of the gun. Then I'm going to paint my Serpa BlackHawk holster with some sort of a neon glow in the dark paint, and then maybe put one of those small blinking LED lights on my holster as well, kinda like the ones you see on bicycles, but smaller.

For the daytime OC, I think I'll fabricate a whole new holster out of a ZipLock bag for absolute transparency.

I'll put pictures up of the progress.

gunrunner1911

I advocate getting the CCW for the simple reason I want you armed. If there is a place where they won't let you in because of open carry it gives you options. I know there are some here who will give the old worn out shop with your dollars etc but in certain circumstances it is just easier to do what must be done. I just can't imagine life with all the excuses of why didn't I do this or that because I refused to bend just a little. I would bet a dollar to a donut that if a place like Costco had the best price on a large purchase that most would take advantage of saving a couple hundred even though they don't respect our rights. If you walk down the street and pay a few hundred more because they could careless about your rights and more about your dollars so they say nothing about the gun big deal. You helped no one and hurt yourself because the money saved could go towards ammo.
The primary reason to carry is safety if you stumble into a place or state that doesn't allow it but would allow CC and you miss out on an oportunity of life who benefits? Can you imagine never having practised Isreali style draw and rack yet with out a CCW if you goto UT you would be in an unloaded OC mode.
I'm not trying to make the state richer nor do I enjoy paying for my rights. I'm hardcore about rights. I know the quotes but practicality of "those who give up liberty for temporary security deserve neither" sometime just don't exist in everyday life. I should be safe and secure in my effects papers and property yet I lock the doors to my house. It's an incovience at best but it's life. Give a little freedom get a little seciurity. I knoe this isn't exactly what is meant but don't discount the advantage of having a CCW.

Nevada carrier

I too advocate getting a CCW just for the simple fact that you can put on a jacket in the winter time without worry of incidentally concealing your firearm.. Just because you now may legally cover up your firearm doesn't mean you have to.