• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's, Lowe's, etc.

AmosMoses

A few days ago I started sending out a few emails to Louisiana businesses...businesses that have a Louisiana facility that consumers can physically enter, that is...requesting their policy on OC. At this point, it's not by any stretch of the imagination going to be properly thorough, and surely not exhaustive. I am simply emailing a few here and there to entities that cross my mind, and ones that I am liable to enter, at this point, that is. When I get enough replies to justify it, I will post a list.

So far, I hit Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Lowe's and Home Depot, and two have replied, one of which wasn't a "real" reply. So far, all but one (Home Depot) have been on eForms, not via email addresses. I would love to have an extensive list of corporate email addresses, which would easily facilitate a large number of queries in a relatively short time, but a summary search for same yielded only some sort of pay-for-list sites. A better search may in the future locate a good list, but as yet I am simply going about this the way I started it...thinking of companies and contacting them by eMail/eForm.

Cabela's replied with a flat out "No", to which I very politely replied with a demand to cancel my Cabela's Reward card account, and to cease and desist sending any sort of material to my address ever again...no big deal, but as someone who has literally spent thousands of dollars with the company, all viewable by that Rewards Card data, it's at least a very tiny start. I also advised them that I would be more than happy to help them out and clear up any confusion before it happens by informing as many like-minded individuals as I could of their policy.

Cabela's reply to my query:
________________________________________________________________________________
Hello Mr. Phillips,

Thank you for your e-mail. I do apologize. Our retail locations do not allow patrons to carry guns in the store.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sincerely,
Heidi
_________________________________________________________________________________

My reply:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Heidi,

Thank you very much for your reply. It was unambiguous and quite fast.

Can you please let me know what the best way is to assure that I and like-minded others can have Cabela's remove us from their USPS mailing list, their email mailing lists, and advise us as to how we can be assured that our Cabela's Club Rewards cards are canceled, and that we will never be contacted by Cabela's ever again?

My Cabela's Club Rewards Card number is 5XXX XXXX XXXX XXXX. I wish to have it immediately canceled and I never want to be contacted by Cabela's ever again, for any reason whatsoever. Please send no more catalogs nor correspondence of any kind to:

[XX My name and address XX]

Now, Lowe's also immediately responded, with a phone call, no less. The caller was the manager of the Lowe's in Hammond, who, being my "local" Lowe's outlet, received my email query as forwarded by Lowe's Corporate. The manager asked for me, then told me that he was more than happy to help, but that he was "not cleared" (or something along those lines) to answer me, but that I could be assured that I would get an answer very fast. He advised that I would receive a call from Lowe's legal counsel on Monday, apologizing and adding that he wanted to get the reply to me today, but the earliest he could get counsel to address this matter for me was Monday. I emailed them on Saturday, and he called me a few hours later.

Oddly, if this means anything at all, the call came in as "Blocked", although I am not sure if that was an error or actually true. Can't someone set a phone to cull callers who block their Caller ID? Also, I need to see how to go about recording calls on an iphone, which I think is possible. I guess I'll see today if he calls me.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
Heidi has misinformed you. Cabela's official policy is to follow state law. Yesterday, I walked into Cabela's and saw a rather large poster in the foyer which stated this. It said that legally possesed guns were allowed either CC or OC, but that any guns which were to be repaired or were going to be used to fit a holster for pusrchase had to be unloaded and locked.

charlie12

Heidi has misinformed you. Cabela's official policy is to follow state law. Yesterday, I walked into Cabela's and saw a rather large poster in the foyer which stated this. It said that legally possesed guns were allowed either CC or OC, but that any guns which were to be repaired or were going to be used to fit a holster for pusrchase had to be unloaded and locked.

Roger that. Cabela's was supposed to be taken care of. Sounds like Heidi doesn't know what she's talking about. Get back with her.

NRAMARINE

Also it's not nessecary in my opinion to call or e-mail asking for policies unless you've had a problem. Just go about your business in a responsible manner. The last thing any of us wants is to make companies think we are harassing them. That's not my objective anyway.

Case in point, one of my co workers saw me oc'ing in wally world saturday shopping. She didn't say anything then but Monday morning she was running her mouth to whoever would listen. My boss quietly told her it's perfectly legal and to either learn the laws or be quiet. Some people who don't know will simply freak out and scream no guns before they do any research. Most people knee jerk to no guns.

turbodog

Not sure what the purpose of the inquiries was Amos.
Most, if not all of the companies mentioned have already stated (and corp. letters saying so are on this site somewhere) that they do not oppose OC in their stores.

Unless you had a bad experience that was contrary to previous stated policy in each of these stores, why aggravate all of them over a non issue?

The old sayings of "let sleeping dogs lie" and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" are appropriate.

AmosMoses

Point taken...

turbo...what's the other one that I forgot, you know, about the more you stir it, the more it stinks?

AmosMoses

BTW, today, I actually saw my first "no weapons" sign. There's a little store, oh, I'd say halfway between Greensburg and Clinton on Highway 10...it's under new management, as in like maybe a couple months that it's been open again. When I got out of the truck, I saw right above the door handle, maybe chest level, a red and white "NO WEAPONS" sign. This probably sounds ridiculous, but I almost didn't see it, most likely because it was in a cluster of other signs. I mean, it wasn't even close to hidden, but it wasn't overly conspicuous...and maybe, I just don't read signs like I should. I would wager that without the picture of the auto on the sign, I probably wouldn't have seen it, which bothers me somewhat.

It's a little odd to me, the sign being there, because of the store's past owner. It still to this day carries the same name "Slaton's General Store", and the old boy who used to own it, Lou Slaton, sold firearms out of it for a while, and then he sold out and opened Slaton's Guns in Baker. A real good guy, proficient gunsmith, and very knowledgeable. I bought many a gun from him in Baker. Sadly, post Katrina, he held on as long as he could...the new citizenry gifted him with numerous break-ins and then a five man armed invasion/holdup...they were in before he could get his palm on his weapon, and they cleaned him out, vehicle and all. He even recognized one, who actually wore the same letterman's jacket to the robbery that he wore several times in the store...in fact, Lou had closed circuit TV, and only opened up upon seeing the guy, and him being a past "customer". He obviously didn't see his buddies until they were all point9ing guns at his head. That's when he gave up.

I hate it, because like I said, he was a really good guy.

charlie12

Not sure what the purpose of the inquiries was Amos.
Most, if not all of the companies mentioned have already stated (and corp. letters saying so are on this site somewhere) that they do not oppose OC in their stores.

Unless you had a bad experience that was contrary to previous stated policy in each of these stores, why aggravate all of them over a non issue?

The old sayings of "let sleeping dogs lie" and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" are appropriate.

I think if these stores keep getting the same phone calls asking the same questions it won't be long before they say the hell with it and put up NO WEAPONS sign on all the doors. And that will be it.

barf

I think if these stores keep getting the same phone calls asking the same questions it won't be long before they say the hell with it and put up NO WEAPONS sign on all the doors. And that will be it.

If you people want to continue to call these businesses for no reason and inquire about the carrying of weapons, I recommend a parallel campaign designed to muddy the waters so they don't know what you're really calling about - also inquire about whether breastfeeding is allowed in the store, whether or not illegal immigrants are employed there, and what diversity training the employees are given. That should do it.