• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McDonald Ruling May Doom 1 Gun A Month

The Donkey

http://virginia.watchdog.org/1068/gun-a-month-law-could-fall-into-supreme-courts-crosshairs-2/

SNIP:"Some laws are going to be in trouble and some laws won't as long as there is a valid public safety rationale for the law and it does not interfere with the right to keep and bear arms," said Alan Gura, an attorney for the plaintiffs in McDonald v. Chicago. "However, if a law is put forward and the benefits are entirely hypothetical, and the law imposes a great deal of restriction and interference, than those laws will fail."

Asked about Virginia's gun-a-month law, Gura called it "troubling" and said it "needs to be looked at carefully."

"We know there is a right to have guns and there are legitimate reasons for people to buy more than a handgun-a-month," he said. "I would say that law raises some problems."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://virginia.watchdog.org/1068/gun-a-month-law-could-fall-into-supreme-courts-crosshairs-2/

SNIP:"Some laws are going to be in trouble and some laws won't as long as there is a valid public safety rationale for the law and it does not interfere with the right to keep and bear arms," said Alan Gura, an attorney for the plaintiffs in McDonald v. Chicago. "However, if a law is put forward and the benefits are entirely hypothetical, and the law imposes a great deal of restriction and interference, than those laws will fail."

Asked about Virginia's gun-a-month law, Gura called it "troubling" and said it "needs to be looked at carefully."

"We know there is a right to have guns and there are legitimate reasons for people to buy more than a handgun-a-month," he said. "I would say that law raises some problems."

And yet Alito ripped into the "public safety" arguments of Chicago & Oak Park with a vengance.

I have not completed my first reading of the decision, and need to do at least one more after that while taking notes and doing all sorts of cross-checking, but the decision seems to be bigger and better than we had any right to expect.

Among other things, Alito clarifies "defense in the home" as merely being one of the many purposes noted in Heller.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And yet Alito ripped into the "public safety" arguments of Chicago & Oak Park with a vengance.

I have not completed my first reading of the decision, and need to do at least one more after that while taking notes and doing all sorts of cross-checking, but the decision seems to be bigger and better than we had any right to expect.

Among other things, Alito clarifies "defense in the home" as merely being one of the many purposes noted in Heller.

stay safe.

From what I've gotten so far, it fills a lot of the holes left open by Heller.
My guess is the Brady's are thinking of Jim Jones Kool Aid right now.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP My guess is the Brady's are thinking of Jim Jones Kool Aid right now.

Hee, hee. Maybe Kool-Aid should quick come up with a new flavor. "Sarah Punch". What color? Oh, of course, cyanide blue. Hee, hee.

No, the Anti-s are too self-centered to kill themselves with Kool Aid. They would rather take all of us down with them. "If I can't have me, no one else can have you, either."

Dreamer

Hmm makes me wonder if Mr Gura wants to drop his next lawsuit off at a Virginia courthouse,

Take a number, VA...

Mr. Gura has filed a suit against NC already, regarding the "state of emergency prohibition" here.

http://guywithguns.blogspot.com/2010/06/saf-suing-nc-over-guns-in-emergencies.html

You'll get your turn soon enough, VA. But there are other states with more pressing issues. I imagine MD, CA and DC are WAY ahead of VA with regards to gun-rights lawsuits. I'm actually a little surprised that the NC suit has been filed so quickly. I was REALLY expecting Md to be next in line to get "Gura'd". But perhaps he wants to build a strong portfolio of a few "easy cases" first before tackling the PRM...

I'll be calling the SAF tomorrow morning to offer my help with regards to offering supporting testimony, if they'll have me...

simmonsjoe

F those other states:cuss:. Lets take Mr Gura hostage and MAKE him work for us!:banana: mwhahahaha. Oh wait, he probably carrys a gun:eek:, and is a rockstar to every NCer with a gun. :shocker: Second thought I don't wanna **** with him. **Gets in line politely**