• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Police Perspective

Phssthpok

There are some interesting gems in this thread. It seems the police in some states, and a few gun owners in our own, have some differing ideas about open carry and identifying yourself.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=266201

On another topic, how the heck do you url link with the new forum?!?

Enter a '=' symbol in the first URL bracket, then the url with no spaces, then enter the text to click on between the two URL brackets.

Like so, only without the spaces around the '=' sign:

[url = http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=266201] text to click on [/url]

Doing so gets you this:

text to click on

Mainsail

Enter a '=' symbol in the first URL bracket, then the url with no spaces, then enter the text to click on between the two URL brackets.

Like so, only without the spaces around the '=' sign:

[url = http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=266201] text to click on [/url]

Doing so gets you this:

text to click on

I guess I should have been more specific. I know how to do the URL thing, I just don't see the button that does it for me. :p

Phssthpok

AHHhh...gotcha.

Yeah, I'm missing my cheat-sheet of bold, italic, and color change buttons too.

I'm thinking they admins just need some time to iron out any major issues withthe new board before they start activating the minor options.

Bo

No real surprises in the referenced thread (by the way, the 1911 Forum is one of the better gun boards).

The dude "OIF2" claiming to be a retired LAPD officer clearly articulates the California cop attitude toward open carry. "I'm the only one with a gun." Sheesh.

Member "Bob-tail Command" goes off a a rant about the guys at his LGS who open carry Glocks and wear tactical pants while stating that all the open-carriers he's met are the "cockiest, most obnoxious a-holes" he's ever met.

IMChuc9775, apparently a soldier from Ft. Lewis with local ties, is seemingly clueless.

However, it's worth noting that more than a few of those (representing themselves as serving or former LEOs), especially those from enlightened states, generally seem supportive of open carry.

Beretta92FSLady

I shoot at an LEO range...I would feel more comfortable with my shooting ability. At the end of the day, if I am called upon to defend self and family I know that I can effectively. Dialing 911 and relying on an LEO is a grab bag--I don't like grab bags...I do like LEO's, don't get me wrong, I just would not put my life in their hands when I could take charge and carve my own destiny.

Jack House

I shoot at an LEO range...I would feel more comfortable with my shooting ability. At the end of the day, if I am called upon to defend self and family I know that I can effectively. Dialing 911 and relying on an LEO is a grab bag--I don't like grab bags...I do like LEO's, don't get me wrong, I just would not put my life in their hands when I could take charge and carve my own destiny.
Even though you'll probably see me defending them more than not, I have a strong dislike and distrust of LEOs as well, I don't think I would ever trust a LEO with my life more than I would a complete stranger unless I knew that LEO personally.

I've had a lot of bad experiences in my life with LEOs and very few good experiences, and I realize that it's wrong to paint them all the same, but I just can not trust them.

Beretta92FSLady

Even though you'll probably see me defending them more than not, I have a strong dislike and distrust of LEOs as well, I don't think I would ever trust a LEO with my life more than I would a complete stranger unless I knew that LEO personally.

I've had a lot of bad experiences in my life with LEOs and very few good experiences, and I realize that it's wrong to paint them all the same, but I just can not trust them.

Personally it is a lack of trust in the ability of whoever manages to show up. Like one of the officers at the range told me recently, "call us after you are finished."

SaintJacque

Police are like all other people: some are good, some are not. Some are ethical and obey the law and hold themselves accountable, some do not. I don't trust them until I meet them, either.

That's not being anti-cop, it's just being rational. I know some great cops in the FWPD and the King County Sheriffs.

devildoc5

I am noticing that their seems to be quiet a few "armchair elitists" on there that seem to believe that cops are the end all be all and can do anything they want as long as they want to and screw everyone else.

I fully support law enforcement, HOWEVER it should be noted that law ENFORCEMENT is there to do just that, enforce the friggin laws, not violate them.

Everyone was ragging on Mainsail for his refusal to be drawn into a friendly encounter with LEO's whilst open carrying, yet yelling at him in the same sentence for "picking fights and looking for confrontations." Anyone care to explain to me how that works exactly?

Wow that got to me just enough that I might need another cig or two before I can try and catch some z's now... :)

Beretta92FSLady

I am noticing that their seems to be quiet a few "armchair elitists" on there that seem to believe that cops are the end all be all and can do anything they want as long as they want to and screw everyone else.

I fully support law enforcement, HOWEVER it should be noted that law ENFORCEMENT is there to do just that, enforce the friggin laws, not violate them.

Everyone was ragging on Mainsail for his refusal to be drawn into a friendly encounter with LEO's whilst open carrying, yet yelling at him in the same sentence for "picking fights and looking for confrontations." Anyone care to explain to me how that works exactly?

Wow that got to me just enough that I might need another cig or two before I can try and catch some z's now... :)

What the heck are you all worked up for? I walked back through the thread and read(e) the responses and did not see any "armchair elitist" responses.

People merely pointed out that it is the responsibility of the citizen to assure their own safety. People also pointed out that for a fact there are good and bad citizens, and LEO's...and?

There is a difference between picking a fight and declaring that you are aware of your fundamental rights to engage in a particular behavior. If I am walking through the grocer store buying food for a BBQ with my kids, and an LEO walks up to me, detains me, and attempts to disarm me, damn right I will ask some questions. We live in a system of laws, and those laws are to be followed by all citizens, including LEO's.

devildoc5

that is exactly what they were getting on Mainsail for.

There were some of the opinion that you should obey without question.

That is the thing that upsets me. and I honestly wasnt TOO upset, just ignorance gets to me at times...

Beretta92FSLady

If an officer insists that I allow him to disarm me, even if I am doing nothing wrong, Personally, I will do it. The last thing you want is to get into with an LEO, you might win the initial fight, but you will spend the rest of your life in prison.

That is one thing that scares the heck out of me, is if an officer ever got physically out of line, it isn't like you could defend yourself and it be justified. They always have the benefit of the doubt, and you do not.

devildoc5

If an officer insists that I allow him to disarm me, even if I am doing nothing wrong, Personally, I will do it. The last thing you want is to get into with an LEO, you might win the initial fight, but you will spend the rest of your life in prison.

That is one thing that scares the heck out of me, is if an officer ever got physically out of line, it isn't like you could defend yourself and it be justified. They always have the benefit of the doubt, and you do not.

I agree 100% with you sylvia. once it becomes confrontational or physical that is the time to quietly recite your lawyers phone number in your head and let them do whatever.

The discussion was dealing with Terry stops and RAS and the majority of people on there were talking about how LEOs can detain you for carrying a gun because it is suspcious behavior, whether or not there is any other circumstances.

Regardless of the fact that they were all quoted WA state law, they still affirmed that they would detain someone for carrying a weapon because it "looked suspicious"

That is where they problem comes in. you have the right to not consent to searches, you have the right to not interact with the police on a "casual" basis (read they are trying to trap you into something)

Beretta92FSLady

That is where they problem comes in. you have the right to not consent to searches, you have the right to not interact with the police on a "casual" basis (read they are trying to trap you into something)

I ask right off the bat if I am being detained. The LEO's purpose is to gather evidence. I think people talk to much when approached by an LEO--they typically approach you to solely gather info for a possible arrest.

devildoc5

I ask right off the bat if I am being detained. The LEO's purpose is to gather evidence. I think people talk to much when approached by an LEO--they typically approach you to solely gather info for a possible arrest.

Again I agree with you 100% Sylvia. However, that question of if you are being detained is why everyone was getting on Mainsail in the first place...

aktion

Rights, or conveniences?

If a police officer demands your weapon, even if you've done nothing wrong, you'll comply? Specifically out of fear for what they might/will do to you? We appear to differ in some of our reasons for carrying weapons at all; I carry to protect myself from anyone seeking to visit harm upon me, uniformed or not. You'd rather sit in court/jail/prison, knowing you surrendered your means of defense despite your innocence, rather than jealously guard your rights, even with threat of force?

Maybe I just misunderstood you both, Sylvia and devildoc5.

devildoc5

If a police officer demands your weapon, even if you've done nothing wrong, you'll comply? Specifically out of fear for what they might/will do to you? We appear to differ in some of our reasons for carrying weapons at all; I carry to protect myself from anyone seeking to visit harm upon me, uniformed or not. You'd rather sit in court/jail/prison, knowing you surrendered your means of defense despite your innocence, rather than jealously guard your rights, even with threat of force?

Maybe I just misunderstood you both, Sylvia and devildoc5.

see here is where the preverbial waters get muddied for me.

LEOs have the law on their side, that whole innocent until proven guilty thing went away years ago now you are guilty until you can afford a good enough lawyer to prove your innocence.

That being said I will NEVER EVER physically confront an officer of the law, all they have to do is state I had a gun and was being aggressive and boom I am dead with no reparations.

However I will POLITELY and with confidence assert my rights to not be detained and to remain armed.

If the LEO wants to ignore me I will take it up with either his boss or my lawyer depending on what happens next.

once again I will NEVER physically try to prevent an officer from doing anything to me. That just opens you up to a quick death and an officer justified shooting. Unfortunately this is the life we (mostly pansy californians like myself) have made for our self.

the reason for carrying is to preserve life. Specifically mine, but other as well if the need arrises. by physically resisting an officer while I have a pistol I will NOT do anything except get shot and there goes my whole protection of life reasoning for carrying in the first place...