Thread: BREAKING NEWS 10:19am 6-28-10

BREAKING NEWS 10:19am 6-28-10

Supreme Court strikes down Chicago handgun ban; case may have far-reaching impact for states, local governments.

Supreme Court Strikes Down Chicago Gun Ban

Supreme Court Strikes Down Chicago Gun Ban

Supreme Court rules for gun rights, strikes Chicago handgun ban

In another dramatic victory for firearm owners, the Supreme Court has ruled unconstitutional Chicago, Illinois' 28-year-old strict ban on handgun ownership, a potentially far-reaching case over the ability of state and local governments to enforce limits on weapons.

A conservative majority of justices on Monday reiterated its two-year-old conclusion the Constitution gives individuals equal or greater power than states on the issue of possession of certain firearms for self-protection.

The court, however, said local jurisdictions still retain the flexibility to preserve some "reasonable" gun control measures currently in place nationwide.

Wink

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

I'm only up to page 21, but Alito has ripped Chicago & Oak Park a new butthole that begins at the heels and goes to the crown of the head.

Applies the 1866 Freedmans Act and as I see it creates a "protected class" of gun owners. Maybe not as protected as race, sex, etc. but certainly more protected than automobile owners.

Alito notes several times that self defense "in the home" was NOT the limit of Heller - merely the paramount place of exercise of the right. I'm thinking this is in fact clarification of Heller - in which case DC will be collectively ******** its pants as they tear out their hair.

I've got to read it over again with a note pad at hand, and then do some cross-checking, but my impression is that McDonald is a bigger win than we had any right to expect. With the majority split between due process and privileges it could mean that eventually both will come into play. I'm happy with due process but would really have liked to see privileges prevail.

Best of all - actually 2 bests of all 1) Slaughterhouse does not apply, and 2) Cruickshank and Miller are essentially removed from stare decis. Hooray!

stay safe.

Roberts: "sure, let them have their guns. It's not like any of them will have the courage to actually use them."

Quote Originally Posted by canadian View Post
    Roberts: "sure, let them have their guns. It's not like any of them will have the courage to actually use them."
    And where did you find this quote?

I have an initial article out about the win at

http://www.examiner.com/x-3253-Minne...for-gun-owners

This is truly wonderful news. Now we just have to see about removing some of the more draconian restrictions in places like CA. Great news!

King Daley and mayor Bloomingidiot must be in near-stoke status about now. Hey guys, how do you like this semi-auto? Should someone ram it up your a...? (Note: Reference to Daley's threatening of a reporter to do so with an antique rifle at a press conference.)

Skidmark

Can you point me to where in that reading was Justice Alito clarifying the Heller case? I just skimmed through his opinion and i guess i missed it thorugh all of the legal jargon. Thanks in advance!

Edited because i quoted the wrong member