View Poll Results: Do you like the "new" format vs. the "old" one?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 65.22%
  • No

8 34.78%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for Admins. -> Tell them what needs to be tweaked in one spot vs many thoughout.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Lightbulb Help for Admins. -> Tell them what needs to be tweaked in one spot vs many thoughout.

Not being critical just trying to help here.

1. Searching seems to be "global" you can't just search "MI" forum. Maybe I missed something?

2. Could we have a feature like we did before to sort in "MI" forum for recent posts/popular etc...

3. Picture attachments need to be made easier

4. Visually it is hard to find things .

5. AD banner huge & takes up top 25% of screen. I can block them, but out of respect have not. Is there anyway to tile/display them vertically on the side maybe?

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Good Idea G9mmOS

Some not so bright layouts would be amazing.

Pic posting is a definite

also

You have included 5 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Theres a limit to how many dancing bananas i can post. This is simply unacceptable

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

no way to get back to the home page, once your in the forums

Why I quit FB

I must be getting old! I want the old one back. soooo many links, and fewer dancing bananas.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Adblock Plus!

Adblock Plus takes smilies out and ads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Adblock Plus takes smilies out and ads too.
    I don't understand why posting pictures is a problem. Just use photobucket or flicker.

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    I don't understand why posting pictures is a problem. Just use photobucket or flicker.

Yes, but in the old forum you didnt have to, you could just add the photo using the little button (cant remember the buttons name) and no photobucketing was required
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

To get back to the main forum page, click the forum logo picture in the upper left corner of every page.

To get to www.opencarry.org, click the Home button to the right of the forum logo picture.

John

Quote Originally Posted by khicks View Post
    no way to get back to the home page, once your in the forums

I am not sure what the question is about images. They are limited to 100K to prevent excessive bandwidth usage but other than that ???

All I did here was click "Reply With Quote" and then clicked the picture button in the editor and selected a picture off of my hard drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elvgren skeet.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	2979

If the picture is above a certain size, it shows as a thumbnail and then clicking on it will give you the full sized image.

Quote Originally Posted by American Boy With a Gun View Post
    Yes, but in the old forum you didnt have to, you could just add the photo using the little button (cant remember the buttons name) and no photobucketing was required

You can also add multiple images such as:

NOTE: If images are smaller than a certain size then they will print full size as illustrated.

Name:	tux38.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	2980tux34.pngClick image for larger version. 

Name:	tux228.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	2982tux255.png

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    I am not sure what the question is about images. They are limited to 100K to prevent excessive bandwidth usage but other than that ???

All I did here was click "Reply With Quote" and then clicked the picture button in the editor and selected a picture off of my hard drive.

Name:	elvgren skeet.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	2979

1. When in a forum, you have the option to search just in that forum in addition to the global search. The same is true when in a thread where you have the option to search in that thread. Click on the following thumbnail to see where.

Name:	Search_Forum.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	2984

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post

1. Searching seems to be "global" you can't just search "MI" forum. Maybe I missed something?

2. Could we have a feature like we did before to sort in "MI" forum for recent posts/popular etc...

5. AD banner huge & takes up top 25% of screen. I can block them, but out of respect have not. Is there anyway to tile/display them vertically on the side maybe?

2. You can sort the forum listings by last post ascending or descending date simply by clicking the column label. Click on the attached thumbnail to see where to click. The Arrow up or down indicates descending or ascending.

Name:	Sort_Forum.png 
Views:	25 
ID:	2985

3. See my posts below and let me know what else I can do to help.

4. I am going to offer user-selectable skins so that users may select a color scheme and 'look' that works best for them but I don't want to do that until all of the basic features are configured the way we want them. I will keep you informed.

5. I have tried to adjust the advertising to make it somewhat less intrusive. However, I understand that it takes up screen space.

Thank you for not blocking them. Mike and I hope to use the revenue from both out sponsors and from Google ads to help defray the cost of running the forum (which just went up several hundred percent!).

Thanks!

I have increased the number of images / smilies that may be included in a given post to 10. Hopefully that is enough. If not, we can revisit the setting.

Some not so bright layouts would be amazing.

Pic posting is a definite

also

You have included 5 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Theres a limit to how many dancing bananas i can post. This is simply unacceptable

I understand.

But we were tap dancing on the edge of disaster with the old one and it was only a matter of time before disaster struck. I quite literally feel as if a great weight has been taken off my shoulders now that we are on a modern, supportable, enterprise class server / forum solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Slugslinger View Post
    I must be getting old! I want the old one back. soooo many links, and fewer dancing bananas.

Lightbulb Thanks for feedback - maybe we could get a tutorial setup for end users?

I know this is no easy task! I appreciate the feedback. My question is did you have any beta testers or did we do the old "roll it out & pray"? As an end user I am running into many issues & I am very very (IT/IS) savvy, so if this is the case for me, I can only imagine how it is for some others. Might I suggest a tutorial? I would be happy to send you the software needed to create one in PDF or other formats.

G9mmOS

I will give that some thought once I get past the initial shockwave of issues.

As for beta testing, there was none. Without going into details, the old forum was quite literally on the verge of collapse and the fact that it has gone as smooth as it has is nothing short of a miracle!

And I DO love vBulletin and the new server!!!!! So much more reliable, stable, supportable, etc!

I know this is no easy task! I appreciate the feedback. My question is did you have any beta testers or did we do the old "roll it out & pray"? As an end user I am running into many issues & I am very very (IT/IS) savvy, so if this is the case for me, I can only imagine how it is for some others. Might I suggest a tutorial? I would be happy to send you the software needed to create one in PDF or other formats.

G9mmOS

I have increased the number of images / smilies that may be included in a given post to 10. Hopefully that is enough. If not, we can revisit the setting.

You have included 10 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Not so for me

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Ahhh....see pics. It may be the default for users is different than Admins...do we know?
    The only search option I see is near the upper right hand corner & ALWAYS returns a GLOBAL result.

1. When in a forum, you have the option to search just in that forum in addition to the global search. The same is true when in a thread where you have the option to search in that thread. Click on the following thumbnail to see where.

Name:	Search_Forum.png 
Views:	36 
ID:	2984

Not so for me (searches part 2)

If I choose the advanced search option below is what I get which still returns GLOBAL results. No offense but MI is your busiest forum from what I can see. I think that you want to keep as many users as possible correct? I'm just pointing out what I'm running into here so please do take it as criticism. The last thing I want when I search for OC ban in parks is to sift through results from multiple states.

Again I think what you are seeing on your end is different from the typical end users view.
    Heck even the "Manage attachments button" dialog can be vague or confusing for novice PC users?

More search_navigation isssues

See pics if a user types a search query from the main MI forum page the results offer no navigation back to the main MI forum page...so when a user clicks the Forum button in the upper left (basically their only choice) they end up at the MAIN OCDO.ORG page, which is very frustrating.

Is that inside the post or in your signature? Because you are still limited to 4 in your signature.

You have included 10 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

When I log in as a regular user, I still have the Search Forum or Search Thread option. Note that you need to be in a forum or a thread to see them (not the What's New view, etc).

If this is not the case for you, can you please post a capture of an entire screen?

Thanks!

John

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Ahhh....see pics. It may be the default for users is different than Admins...do we know?
    The only search option I see is near the upper right hand corner & ALWAYS returns a GLOBAL result.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast