Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court Ruling

Supreme Court Ruling

Last edited by Gosirr; 06-28-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added 2nd link

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosirr View Post
    High Court Rules in Favor of Gun Rights

Wooo! Good news, thanks for sharing
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Read almost everything about the decision here:

http://www.scotuswiki.com/index.php?...ity_of_Chicago
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I skimmed it.... got a headache.. and will revisit it later... and revisit it... and revisit it....

Why does it take a multitude of pages to answer a question that requires a simple "yes" or "no" answer?

Cliff notes?
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Justice Stephen Breyer, in a dissent joined by justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor, said the majority ruling misinterpreted history. "[N]othing in 18th-, 19th-, 20th-, or 21st-century history shows a consensus that the right to private armed self-defense…is 'deeply rooted in this nation's history or tradition' or is otherwise 'fundamental,' " Justice Breyer wrote.
    This is a joke, did none of these "justices" even read the second ammendment?
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Why does it take a multitude of pages to answer a question that requires a simple "yes" or "no" answer?
    Because the dissenters apparently feel that if you throw enough words and paper around goofy ideas, you can fool a lot of people. And the concurrers, of course, necessarily have to use as much paper as is necessary to defeat each goofy idea in detail.

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Because the dissenters apparently feel that if you throw enough words and paper around goofy ideas, you can fool a lot of people. And the concurrers, of course, necessarily have to use as much paper as is necessary to defeat each goofy idea in detail.
    Yep, but still, i now need a motrin, i feel like i just banged my head on a wall
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

awesome news! I read the entire transcripts the day the case was heard....i have been awaiting the decision anxiously.

then again, how could they possibly interpret it any other way? How did the other four justices dissent? It is beyond comprehension how 4 college educated judges could confuse the meaning of "shall not be infringed"

This does not affect Michigan residents because our state constitution provides us the right to keep and bar arms. Honestly, it probably will not affect too many chicago residence either as i'm sure, like DC, the city will still make it nearly impossible to own a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    then again, how could they possibly interpret it any other way? How did the other four justices dissent? It is beyond comprehension how 4 college educated judges could confuse the meaning of "shall not be infringed"

This does not affect Michigan residents because our state constitution provides us the right to keep and bar arms. Honestly, it probably will not affect too many chicago residence either as i'm sure, like DC, the city will still make it nearly impossible to own a handgun.
    Seems like activism from the bench with the dissenters. Strikes me as little more than treasonous garbage, but then I haven't read their entire reasoning yet, so I'll wait a while until I claim any firm opinions.

About the effects of the ruling, you can't look at it in the short term. This will open the flood gates for more law suits, and even in these tough economic times, we're about to be looking at a **** ton of high profile, well funded law suits.

Edit to add: I know internet brands wants to take over the world, so would it be too much to ask to figure out a way to keep avatars saved when doing forum changes??? Seems kind of odd for a company that can sink as many millions into web sites as they have to not be able to smoothly transfer to a new server.
    Last edited by Michigander; 06-28-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Banned
    This is great news. Now, how to we get the dissenters charged, convicted and sentenced for treason? This should be the next step.

Banned
    Just a reminder folks, this is a heavy loss for the antis, and they will be looking forn ways to recover this loss, and save face. Stay vigilant, and keep your heads up, I would expect some serious high level B.S. coming down the pike shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    awesome news! I read the entire transcripts the day the case was heard....i have been awaiting the decision anxiously.

Do you think that Michigan's registration requirements regarding residents of other states would hold? I concede that it probably would but would like to see someone successfully challenge the registration law. Not allowing non-residents the right to protect their hotel room or rented cabin with a handgun unless they have a permission slip from their home state flies in the face of decency. I hope the whole registration law is eventually deemed unconstitutional and hope that we can scrap the whole thing.

Do you think that Michigan's registration requirements regarding residents of other states would hold? I concede that it probably would but would like to see someone successfully challenge the registration law. Not allowing non-residents the right to protect their hotel room or rented cabin with a handgun unless they have a permission slip from their home state flies in the face of decency. I hope the whole registration law is eventually deemed unconstitutional and hope that we can scrap the whole thing.
    Hasn't it already been deemed unconstitutional in other states?

here's sarah palin's comments on facebook about it:

Another Victory for the Second Amendment

Today at 1:46pm
    The Supreme Court handed down an important ruling today stating what should be obvious: that the Second Amendment, in the words of Justice Alito writing for the court, “applies equally to the federal government and the states.” Today’s decision in McDonald vs. City of Chicago, in conjunction with the landmark Heller case two years ago, should leave little doubt that our individual right to keep and bear arms applies everywhere and is a right for everyone.

For an interesting perspective on the significance of today’s ruling, take a look at David Rittgers’ article in National Review here.

- Sarah Palin

Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    This is a joke, did none of these "justices" even read the second ammendment?
    Yep I knew Sonia Sotomayor was bad news. Lets hope the second Obama apointee does not make it as far or next time there will be more dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Cliff notes?
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    here's sarah palin's comments on facebook about it:

Another Victory for the Second Amendment

Today at 1:46pm
    The Supreme Court handed down an important ruling today stating what should be obvious: that the Second Amendment, in the words of Justice Alito writing for the court, “applies equally to the federal government and the states.” Today’s decision in McDonald vs. City of Chicago, in conjunction with the landmark Heller case two years ago, should leave little doubt that our individual right to keep and bear arms applies everywhere and is a right for everyone.

For an interesting perspective on the significance of today’s ruling, take a look at David Rittgers’ article in National Review here.

- Sarah Palin
    Thank you sarah palin.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine1856 View Post
    Yep I knew Sonia Sotomayor was bad news. Lets hope the second Obama apointee does not make it as far or next time there will be more dissent.
    There will be no additional dissent if/when another liberal is appointed/confirmed to the high court - the justice retiring has voted liberal so there would be a net gain of zero = same 5-4 split.

Yata hey

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine1856 View Post
    These appointments are made intensionally, in an effort to legislate their opinions from the bench for decades to come. it is intentional, calculated, manipulative, and it is IMO the peak of dirty politics.

I believe that we will see further lawsuits along the lines of Equal Protection Under The Law. It is my hope that such a legal challenge would result in an opinion favorable for the FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT OF SELF-PROTECTION in the scenarios listed above, which was strongly re-asserted under McDonald.

It would have made life easier if McDonald would have been incorporated under P or I provisions. I did especially like Thomas' Concurrence (56 pages) that was made under P or I provisions. The fact that neither the MAJORITY NOR THE MINORITY in McDonald attempted to negate/attack Thomas' Concurrence speaks VOLUMES to what may occur in future cases.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Wink

Another WIN! To quote Bruce Willis in DIE HARD...." Yippee ki-yay MOFO's"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1kfj5zVcmA

The supreme court rulling just the first step.

Don't dance to much yet. NPR this morning said Chicago and others are looking for loop holes such as charging $500.00 for gun permits and other nasty tricks. Makes me want to puke.
    The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

There is also a suit filed with the intention of overturning the Slaughter/House case. I think it was filed in the wake of the Heller case. It would be interesting to follow the outcome for that, as well. The intention is to basically nullify the incorporation process of the 14th amendment. That outcome would automatically apply the entire Bill of Rights against the states, as it should be, IMO.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

we've reaffirmed the right to keep finally!

Now we gotta reaffirm the right to bear....national carry perhaps??
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast