• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supreme Court Ruling

PDinDetroit

Do you think that Michigan's registration requirements regarding residents of other states would hold? I concede that it probably would but would like to see someone successfully challenge the registration law. Not allowing non-residents the right to protect their hotel room or rented cabin with a handgun unless they have a permission slip from their home state flies in the face of decency. I hope the whole registration law is eventually deemed unconstitutional and hope that we can scrap the whole thing.

I believe that we will see further lawsuits along the lines of Equal Protection Under The Law. It is my hope that such a legal challenge would result in an opinion favorable for the FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT OF SELF-PROTECTION in the scenarios listed above, which was strongly re-asserted under McDonald.

It would have made life easier if McDonald would have been incorporated under P or I provisions. I did especially like Thomas' Concurrence (56 pages) that was made under P or I provisions. The fact that neither the MAJORITY NOR THE MINORITY in McDonald attempted to negate/attack Thomas' Concurrence speaks VOLUMES to what may occur in future cases.

LaVere

The supreme court rulling just the first step.

Don't dance to much yet. NPR this morning said Chicago and others are looking for loop holes such as charging $500.00 for gun permits and other nasty tricks. Makes me want to puke.

Taurus850CIA

There is also a suit filed with the intention of overturning the Slaughter/House case. I think it was filed in the wake of the Heller case. It would be interesting to follow the outcome for that, as well. The intention is to basically nullify the incorporation process of the 14th amendment. That outcome would automatically apply the entire Bill of Rights against the states, as it should be, IMO.

detroit_fan

Don't dance to much yet. NPR this morning said Chicago and others are looking for loop holes such as charging $500.00 for gun permits and other nasty tricks. Makes me want to puke.

I have also heard they may require insurance to own one. This decison did not go far enough imo, and if obama gets elected to a second term he will have a chance to change the balance of the court. When issues like $500 licenses and other restrictions make their way back to scotus it may be a 5-4, but the other way.

Michigander

I have also heard they may require insurance to own one. This decison did not go far enough imo, and if obama gets elected to a second term he will have a chance to change the balance of the court. When issues like $500 licenses and other restrictions make their way back to scotus it may be a 5-4, but the other way.

Obama amounts to little more than a continuation of Bush, which has pissed off an awful lot of people, including I have noticed lately a lot of the inner city blacks that were all excited that he won, which is pretty much his biggest fan base. Short of an incredible october surprise, even bigger and nastier than the 2008 october surprise financial meltdown, I don't think Obama has a snowballs chance in hell of getting re elected. I would predict the republicans will play the gender and/or race card and put up a much better campaign than they did with McCain and Palin. Granted 2012 is a long time and a lot of sleeze away, but I don't see any realistic way that Obama has enough time left to win people over.

Anyway, in terms of the dirty tricks Chicago will be trying to pull off like 500 dollar registration fees, you can't look at it in the short term. We already knew this would be a long drawn out process with a lot of criminally unconstitutional actions coming from idiot politicians. DC for example is still grossly out of line with the second amendment. It's important to look at the bright side of things, which is that a metaphorical boulder has just been pushed off a cliff, and it will be doing a lot of damage (to gun control) as is rides down. In the mean time a number of free states have declared 10th amendment sovernty against federal gun laws, and more have considered doing so. If you want a hefty dose of freedom, it's there for the taking. And more is on the horizon for the tyrant occupied states. It's an exciting time for gun rights.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
we've reaffirmed the right to keep finally!

Now we gotta reaffirm the right to bear....national carry perhaps??

National carry can be a very slippery slope. Let that camel (federal control) get its nose under the tent and no telling where it will end.

Now a ruling/law that the 2nd Amendment grants the right to OC or CC w/o a permit would please me beyond my wildest dreams.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Charging excessive fee for permit was tried in Va. a long time back - the ACLU (I think) stepped in and threatened to suit as it was discriminatory against lower and fixed income people - the common man. It was a long time ago and not that pertinent so I'll not attempt to cite it.

Yata hey

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
Charging excessive fee for permit was tried in Va. a long time back - the ACLU (I think) stepped in and threatened to suit as it was discriminatory against lower and fixed income people - the common man. It was a long time ago and not that pertinent so I'll not attempt to cite it.

Yata hey

OT, but ya could change the Yata hey into a signature line since the board is on vBullien now...:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What does yata hey mean?

Literally it means it is a great day for dying, but generically it is used as a greeting or salutation as in hello, goodbye, have a nice day.

My voice inflection, facial expression and body language will tell which meaning I intend to convey. Be aware of those here. :p