• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supreme Court Ruling

eastmeyers

Justice Stephen Breyer, in a dissent joined by justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor, said the majority ruling misinterpreted history. "[N]othing in 18th-, 19th-, 20th-, or 21st-century history shows a consensus that the right to private armed self-defense…is 'deeply rooted in this nation's history or tradition' or is otherwise 'fundamental,' " Justice Breyer wrote.

This is a joke, did none of these "justices" even read the second ammendment?
:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss:

DanM

Why does it take a multitude of pages to answer a question that requires a simple "yes" or "no" answer?

Because the dissenters apparently feel that if you throw enough words and paper around goofy ideas, you can fool a lot of people. And the concurrers, of course, necessarily have to use as much paper as is necessary to defeat each goofy idea in detail.

American Boy With a Gun

Because the dissenters apparently feel that if you throw enough words and paper around goofy ideas, you can fool a lot of people. And the concurrers, of course, necessarily have to use as much paper as is necessary to defeat each goofy idea in detail.

Yep, but still, i now need a motrin, i feel like i just banged my head on a wall :banghead:

lapeer20m

awesome news! I read the entire transcripts the day the case was heard....i have been awaiting the decision anxiously.

then again, how could they possibly interpret it any other way? How did the other four justices dissent? It is beyond comprehension how 4 college educated judges could confuse the meaning of "shall not be infringed"

This does not affect Michigan residents because our state constitution provides us the right to keep and bar arms. Honestly, it probably will not affect too many chicago residence either as i'm sure, like DC, the city will still make it nearly impossible to own a handgun.

Michigander

then again, how could they possibly interpret it any other way? How did the other four justices dissent? It is beyond comprehension how 4 college educated judges could confuse the meaning of "shall not be infringed"

This does not affect Michigan residents because our state constitution provides us the right to keep and bar arms. Honestly, it probably will not affect too many chicago residence either as i'm sure, like DC, the city will still make it nearly impossible to own a handgun.

Seems like activism from the bench with the dissenters. Strikes me as little more than treasonous garbage, but then I haven't read their entire reasoning yet, so I'll wait a while until I claim any firm opinions.

About the effects of the ruling, you can't look at it in the short term. This will open the flood gates for more law suits, and even in these tough economic times, we're about to be looking at a **** ton of high profile, well funded law suits.

Edit to add: I know internet brands wants to take over the world, so would it be too much to ask to figure out a way to keep avatars saved when doing forum changes??? Seems kind of odd for a company that can sink as many millions into web sites as they have to not be able to smoothly transfer to a new server.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Just a reminder folks, this is a heavy loss for the antis, and they will be looking forn ways to recover this loss, and save face. Stay vigilant, and keep your heads up, I would expect some serious high level B.S. coming down the pike shortly.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
awesome news! I read the entire transcripts the day the case was heard....i have been awaiting the decision anxiously.

Do you think that Michigan's registration requirements regarding residents of other states would hold? I concede that it probably would but would like to see someone successfully challenge the registration law. Not allowing non-residents the right to protect their hotel room or rented cabin with a handgun unless they have a permission slip from their home state flies in the face of decency. I hope the whole registration law is eventually deemed unconstitutional and hope that we can scrap the whole thing.

ghostrider

Do you think that Michigan's registration requirements regarding residents of other states would hold? I concede that it probably would but would like to see someone successfully challenge the registration law. Not allowing non-residents the right to protect their hotel room or rented cabin with a handgun unless they have a permission slip from their home state flies in the face of decency. I hope the whole registration law is eventually deemed unconstitutional and hope that we can scrap the whole thing.

Hasn't it already been deemed unconstitutional in other states?

kryptonian

here's sarah palin's comments on facebook about it:

Another Victory for the Second Amendment

Today at 1:46pm
The Supreme Court handed down an important ruling today stating what should be obvious: that the Second Amendment, in the words of Justice Alito writing for the court, “applies equally to the federal government and the states.” Today’s decision in McDonald vs. City of Chicago, in conjunction with the landmark Heller case two years ago, should leave little doubt that our individual right to keep and bear arms applies everywhere and is a right for everyone.

For an interesting perspective on the significance of today’s ruling, take a look at David Rittgers’ article in National Review here.

- Sarah Palin

fozzy71

Cliff notes?

here's sarah palin's comments on facebook about it:

Another Victory for the Second Amendment

Today at 1:46pm
The Supreme Court handed down an important ruling today stating what should be obvious: that the Second Amendment, in the words of Justice Alito writing for the court, “applies equally to the federal government and the states.” Today’s decision in McDonald vs. City of Chicago, in conjunction with the landmark Heller case two years ago, should leave little doubt that our individual right to keep and bear arms applies everywhere and is a right for everyone.

For an interesting perspective on the significance of today’s ruling, take a look at David Rittgers’ article in National Review here.

- Sarah Palin

Thank you sarah palin. :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep I knew Sonia Sotomayor was bad news. Lets hope the second Obama apointee does not make it as far or next time there will be more dissent.

There will be no additional dissent if/when another liberal is appointed/confirmed to the high court - the justice retiring has voted liberal so there would be a net gain of zero = same 5-4 split.

Yata hey

stainless1911

Banned
Yep I knew Sonia Sotomayor was bad news. Lets hope the second Obama apointee does not make it as far or next time there will be more dissent.

These appointments are made intensionally, in an effort to legislate their opinions from the bench for decades to come. it is intentional, calculated, manipulative, and it is IMO the peak of dirty politics.