• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UHP encounter in Farmington

ichigo

Rereading what happened I would've done things a little different. I felt at the time I handled myself in a professional way without giving up my rights. I'm grateful to those who post their stories and I have learned from each one. Mine happened early Saturday morning 6:30 AM. To shorten the story, my truck broke down in Farmington on the off ramp of Park Lane. The Utah Hyway Patrol station is on Park Lane and I had to walk past it to get where I needed to for help. Walking by, I was called over to “talk”. Heres how it went.
Officer 1: Everything okay?
Me: Yep just getting the truck you were about to impound on the off ramp...you know the one that was right there.
Officer 1: Oh okay, just wanted to make sure everything was okay. Does that gun have a round chambered?
Me: No, but I am legal to carry.
Officer 2: No you are not legal to open carry with one chambered.
Me: Yes you are if you have a permit.
Officer 2: No you aren't. That just means you can conceal with one chambered.
Me: Yes you can Officer I have the laws in my wallet. Would you like to read/see it?
Officer 1: Yes.
Me: I am going to reach into my pocket and keep my hands off the fire arm is that okay?.. and am I free to go after I show you this?
Officer 1: Yes, Why are you carrying? You know it scares people.
Me: Silently fumbling through the codes.
Officer 1: Why are you carrying a gun openly.
Me: Still silent.
Officer 1: Obviously you don't want to tell my why.
Me: Correct, I don't feel I need to. “Oh here it is, 76-10-523...Persons exempt from firearm laws... Do not apply to any persons to whom a permit to carry a firearm has been issued”
Officer 2: Oh ya well if you have a permit and you didn't tell us you had one.
Me: I told you I didn't have one chambered. (I guess I didn't make it a huge point to tell them I had a permit, nerves I guess)
Officer 1: Well we just saw someone jump out of a truck with a gun and cross the street and wanted to say hey.
Me: So you stop everyone that jumps out of a vehicle and crosses the street to make sure they are legal?
Officer 1: If I want to.
Me: Turning away instantly..in a hurry...had to be somewhere at 7:15 AM, “See ya fellas”.
That was that and I went on my way. This account was the best of my knowledge of how it went down. I admittedly was a little shook up because I'm not into confrontations. They didn't ask for ID. I don't even know why we were having the argument. I didn't have one in the chamber and they didn't ask to check. I frequently transfer from my smart carry to my blackhawk serpa holster. Its my built in safety..its just the way I carry. Take this advice, know what you are going to do and say before you have the encounter and things will go much smoother. I had forgotten my recorder that day too. It would've been nice to hear the conversation played back to get the details and learn what could be changed if it ever happens again.
Kyle
-banki-

Utah_Patriot

Uhp

Please take the time and report this encounter to his superiors. His command needs to know his officer is enforcing in-correct laws.

Please call up the main office and take the time to report your encounter so that this can be corrected also ask if they would not mind covering this in briefing so others will not have to deal with this officer and their encounter.

Thanks for standing up for your rights you did a great job. What I have learned from my encounters with OEO's are if they ask if it is loaded I don't answer them instead I ask if I am free to go or if I am under arrest.

Good Job on your encounter

ichigo

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will report the incident. The officers didn't get my name and I didn't get theirs. Nothing was written down. Maybe they looked my info up off the license plate??? Who knows.

Funny thing happened. Instead of retelling the story to my family a million times I posted the link for them to read. My sister comes over the next day all horrified. “Kyle you better be careful or those police are going to KILL you. Don't you know they took down your license plate number and wrote a report about you. Now you are data based. Next time you are pulled over, they will have guns drawn because they know you have a gun and are hostile”. Not quoted exactly but all these comments were made. Shes in her 40's. My response. “Well, you better stop DRIVING because I fear for you. The police know you are licensed and have a dangerous car in your possession”.
All joking aside, I tried to educate her and help her realize my decisions are never based on fears. I don't fear the repercussions of openly carrying a gun. I worry more about the repercussions of not carrying a gun. I don't let the fear of being data based scare me...especially if they write in the report...he pulled out a set of laws and showed them to me.
-BANKI-

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
Like Zach said, you should report this to a Superior at the UHP.

It will be interesting to see if you get the same, bullshit response about "disorderly conduct" like I did.

Ulquiorra

BanKai

Ichigo Kurasaki Tell the cops in Farmington "Jigoku ni Ike" Next time they stop you. Thanks for sticking up to them.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will report the incident. The officers didn't get my name and I didn't get theirs. Nothing was written down. Maybe they looked my info up off the license plate??? Who knows.

Funny thing happened. Instead of retelling the story to my family a million times I posted the link for them to read. My sister comes over the next day all horrified. “Kyle you better be careful or those police are going to KILL you. Don't you know they took down your license plate number and wrote a report about you. Now you are data based. Next time you are pulled over, they will have guns drawn because they know you have a gun and are hostile”. Not quoted exactly but all these comments were made. Shes in her 40's. My response. “Well, you better stop DRIVING because I fear for you. The police know you are licensed and have a dangerous car in your possession”.
All joking aside, I tried to educate her and help her realize my decisions are never based on fears. I don't fear the repercussions of openly carrying a gun. I worry more about the repercussions of not carrying a gun. I don't let the fear of being data based scare me...especially if they write in the report...he pulled out a set of laws and showed them to me.
-BANKI-