• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA Town Can Create GFZ

mjones

Its not gun free zones, its "Crime Free Zones" which has absolutely no penalties associeated with it.

Quoted in its entirety below...

Chapter 9.32 - CRIME FREE ZONES
Sections:

9.32.010 - Purpose.

9.32.020 - Definitions.

9.32.030 - Procedure for establishing a crime free zone.

9.32.040 - Notice of a crime free zone.

9.32.050 - Supplemental procedure.

9.32.010 - Purpose.

The purpose of this chapter is to establish a procedure for the designation of crime free zones within the city.

(Ord. 817 § 2 (part), 2003)

9.32.020 - Definitions.

"Disperse" means to depart from the designated crime free zone and not to reassemble within the crime free zone with anyone from the group ordered to depart for the duration of the zone.

"Crime free zone" means an area that is established pursuant to Section 9.32.030.

"Illegal drug" has the same meaning as the term "controlled substance" in Section 11007 of the California Health and Safety Code.

For purposes of this chapter, a "public place" means the public way and any other location open to the public, whether publicly or privately owned, including, but not limited to any street, sidewalk, avenue, highway, road, curb area, alley, park, playground or other public ground or public building, any common area of a school, hospital, apartment house, office building, transport facility, shop, privately owned place of business, to which the public is invited, including any place of amusement, entertainment, or eating place. Any "public place" also includes the front yard area, driveway and walkway of any private residence, business or apartment house.

"Sheriff's department" means the Los Angeles County Sheriff.

9.32.030 - Procedure for establishing a crime free zone.

A.
The city council may declare any area a crime free zone by adopting a resolution setting forth the boundaries of such area.
B.
In determining whether to designate a crime free zone, the city council shall consider the following:
The occurrence of a disproportionately high number of arrests for the possession or distribution of illegal drug crimes against property and crimes against persons in the proposed crime free zone;
Objective evidence or verifiable information that shows that illegal drugs are being sold and distributed within the proposed crime free zone; and
Any other verifiable information from which the city council may ascertain whether the health and safety of residents who live in the proposed crime free zone are endangered by the purchase, sale, or use of illegal drugs or other illegal activity.

9.32.040 - Notice of a crime free zone.

Upon the designation of a crime free zone, the sheriff's department or city shall mark each block within the crime free zone by post the following information in the immediate area, of, and on the borders around, the crime free zone:

A.
A statement that the area has been designated a crime free zone;
B.
The boundaries of the crime free zone;
C.
A statement of the effective dates of the crime free zone designation; and
D.
Any other additional notice to inform the public of the crime free zone.

9.32.050 - Supplemental procedure.

The prohibitions set forth in this chapter are supplemental to any similar prohibitions set forth in state law.

RMafera

Wow

Damn, aren't we stupid? We've been fighting this whole time over having our gun rights in Kalifornia restored for the ideal of self-defense and we got it wrong this whole time! We should have been investing our time, effort and money into trying to create "crime free zones." Think about it; if we just incorporate "crime free zones" into all of California then there will be no point to an armed society because there will be no crime!!!

Boy, I sure feel silly...I'm just gonna go now and turn in my firearms to my local police station and post "crime free zone" signs around my house.