• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private long guns sales & registration needed if any?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Hi all,

I just purchased a used rifle from a private citizen. I had the serial # ran before I bought it & it came back clean. I was talking with a friend of mine (a retired LEO) and he told me that it needs to be registered with my local PD? My understanding was that as long as I had a bill of sale to prove I own it I was ok? Any private sales GURU's out there know the MI. law on this?

Thanks for any help. Below is rifle and 25 yard target (only have an indoor range near me).

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
is it under 30" OAL

If not, then it's a "RIFLE" and no registration is required in Michigan.

EDIT!

Just checked... it's 29.5" therefore it's a "Michigan Pistol" and can only be purchased with a PP or a CPL and RI-60 form.

It's a pistol in michigan just like your glock.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers:9mm Luger40 S&WWeight unloaded:4.0 lbs. 1.8kgLength Open:29.5" 749mmLength Closed:16" 406mmBarrel length:16.1"408mmAperture rear, Circular hood, Adjustable front Practical range/ over : 150yds150mRifle features an internal keyed deployment lock. Rifle can be reduced to a size of16" x 7" to facilitate secure storage: 406 x 178 mm

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks Doug!

is it under 30" OAL

If not, then it's a "RIFLE" and no registration is required in Michigan.

No its over 30 inches (just barely & was originally registered as a rifle).

I should of known not to take my buddy too seriously he thinks the "old laws were far better" so that says a lot.

;)

It has the "fixed" 1 inch stock extension from KEL-TEC OAL = 30.5 inches.

Last edited:

DetroitBiker

I have a Ruger 10/22 with a butler creek folder stock on it.
when I took it to the Wayne County Sheriff`s office to inquire about it,
they measured it in the folded posistion. at 29" I had to register as a pistol. with my flash hider it was 32". but they take it off if its not welded on.
mls1fr.jpg

10nrnd5.jpg

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks DB

The difference between your 10/22 (nice rifle by the way) & my SUB2000 is yours can be fired in the folded position. Mine is completely useless when folded the only harm it can inflict is being tossed at bad guy! LOL! ;)

Stock screw on mine is JB welded in place (you'd have to drill the screw out to remove it) ;)

Last edited:

DetroitBiker

The difference between your 10/22 (nice rifle by the way) & my SUB2000 is yours can be fired in the folded position. Mine is completely useless when folded the only harm it can inflict is being tossed at bad guy! LOL! ;)

Stock screw on mine is JB welded in place (you'd have to drill the screw out to remove it) ;)
I understand what you mean about not being able to fire in the folded position.
I.M.O. The only thing they might question is the stock extention. even if its jb welded.
I know how that stuff holds,its aweesome. But johnny law might not except it if it looks like its just screwed on. Can it be riveted?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Johhny Law & his picky ways! :(

That may be a possibility.

I'll have to look into it. I know when I had it ran it came back as a rifle & the Sargent didn't seem too curious about it, but always better to error on the side of caution.