• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AmmoLand.com - Florida’s Ban On Open Carry Creates Constitutional Problems

Davie1

To Me This Is Funny

I grew up in South Florida and was an avid hunter at the time. When I was 14-15, I had a Savage22/410 OU and a High Standard Double 9 Pistol/ western holster. I remember waling into Zayres with both, the rifle on my shoulder and the pistol on my hip, buying ammo to go hunting without anyone blinking an eye. It was very legal to carry open back then, so I don't see why they stopped it. Let's get it back!

HankT

State Researcher
FL was the first State to introduce CCW law, the idea of carrying a gun as a special privilege of the 'only ones' is VERY well entrenched. I have never met anyone with a FL CCW who called it anything other than a privilege.

How many CCW licenses have been issued in Fla., ix? Ballpark.

brboyer

Active licenses as of 10/31/2010: 760,672
Total number of licenses issued 10/1/1987 thru 10/31/2010: 1,871,589

The 760,672 is for your average Joe and does not include Judges, Security Guards, etc. That number is about 7,000 currently.

The overall total includes those, so total man-on-the-street will be sightly less than the number above.

HankT

State Researcher
HankT said:
ixtow said:
FL was the first State to introduce CCW law, the idea of carrying a gun as a special privilege of the 'only ones' is VERY well entrenched. I have never met anyone with a FL CCW who called it anything other than a privilege.

Active licenses as of 10/31/2010: 760,672
Total number of licenses issued 10/1/1987 thru 10/31/2010: 1,871,589

The 760,672 is for your average Joe and does not include Judges, Security Guards, etc. That number is about 7,000 currently...

Thanks for the data, BB.

That's a very high number compared to other states. Which means it doesn't support ix's contention of "carrying a gun as a special privilege of the 'only ones" or only for the "rich and powerful" in Fla.

Florida may well be "NJ with palm trees" but it seems to be a state where a LOT of average Joes are carrying.

JeepSeller

HA! I'm about as FAR from "rich and powerful" as one can get. And I wasn't impeded any from obtaining MY CWFL.

Heck, the GUN's cost is more impeding than the license's cost. IMHO. Paying for the license was easy. Paying for my gun to carry? That took me awhile.

Thundar

I have lived in Fla all my life, and I know its hot. But I'm pretty happy. Some state have no carry in restaurants (Tenn ), no carry on person, etc etc. And my CWP, 175$ for seven years, I'm OK with Fla gun laws, because we got it better then some states.

May the chains of tyranny rest lightly upon you.

HankT

State Researcher
King said:
I have lived in Fla all my life, and I know its hot. But I'm pretty happy. Some state have no carry in restaurants (Tenn ), no carry on person, etc etc. And my CWP, 175$ for seven years, I'm OK with Fla gun laws, because we got it better then some states.
May the chains of tyranny rest lightly upon you.

How is the Florida situation "tyranny," Thundar?

700K-plus citizens can concealed carry. Is Virginia better than that?

HankT

State Researcher
HA! I'm about as FAR from "rich and powerful" as one can get. And I wasn't impeded any from obtaining MY CWFL.

Heck, the GUN's cost is more impeding than the license's cost. IMHO. Paying for the license was easy. Paying for my gun to carry? That took me awhile.

Hmmm, sounds like the cost of the gun is . . . .INFRINGING ... upon your 2nd Amendment-protected rights!!!!

Those evile manufacturers . . . and rights-impeding retailers . . .they keep raising, raising, raising the prices!!!

Why, they all just might be Brady Bunchers . . .

Butch00

Join Alaska, Arizona, Vermont. To bad you will settle for less.

brboyer

Thanks for the data, BB.

That's a very high number compared to other states. Which means it doesn't support ix's contention of "carrying a gun as a special privilege of the 'only ones" or only for the "rich and powerful" in Fla.

Florida may well be "NJ with palm trees" but it seems to be a state where a LOT of average Joes are carrying.

HUH? did I miss something?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm sure people in China say, "I'm fine with government censorship here, because we got it better than North Korea and Vietnam."

The undue restriction of fundamental rights can not be allowed. That it could be worse doesn't mean it is constitutional.

Crap, I agree with you.

;-)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
A steaming load of crap....

Are you still taking up civilized peoples' air?

If you have to pay for it, hide it, and beg for permission under pain of Felony incarceration (or worse, depending on the cops you're grabbed by); it's not a Right.

Please describe to me the Right that carries a punishment. I REALLY want to hear you explain it.

Yes, guns cost money. I didn't see anyone argue the contrary. In fact, I just bought another one.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Janet Reno got open carry banned in Florida in 1987

I grew up in South Florida and was an avid hunter at the time. When I was 14-15, I had a Savage22/410 OU and a High Standard Double 9 Pistol/ western holster. I remember waling into Zayres with both, the rifle on my shoulder and the pistol on my hip, buying ammo to go hunting without anyone blinking an eye. It was very legal to carry open back then, so I don't see why they stopped it. Let's get it back!

Here is an article that shows how Janet Reno got open carry banned in Florida in 1987:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2621956/posts

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
How is the Florida situation "tyranny," Thundar?

700K-plus citizens can concealed carry. Is Virginia better than that?

Virginia currently has somewhere between 225,000 and 250,000 CHP holders; however, anyone over 18 who is not a prohibited possessor may openly carry a holstered handgun in most places throughoutthe state for no charge to them other than the cost necessary to purchase the handgun and ammo (in private sales for those below 21) and the cost of the holster. The state does not charge the fee for the handgun, ammo or holster. The population of Virginia is approximately 7.73 million people. According to the US EPA only about 2 million of that population is between the ages of 0 and 19 years of age.

Last edited: