• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More from SCOTUSblog, Privileges or Immunities Clause alive again McDonald debate,

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/06/privileges-or-immunities-clause-alive-again/

[Excerpt]The crucial fifth vote was provided by Justice Thomas’ extensive fifty-six-page originalist opinion that rested solely on the Privileges or Immunities Clause. Neither Justice Alito for the plurality, nor Justices Stevens or Breyer in dissent, even attempted to impeach Justice Thomas’ analysis, which now stands uncontradicted in the Supreme Court Reports.​

Randy Barnett is a professor at Georgetown Law Center, and filed an amicus brief in favor of the petitioner in McDonald v. Chicago.

Dreamer

The fact that Thomas's P&I argument stands uncontested in this ruling bodes VERY well for cases against states like MD, with regards to P&I-based cases there with regards to CC reciprocity, and perhaps even with regards to "equal protection" arguments...