Thread: Petition for Open Carry in Illinois by County?

Petition for Open Carry in Illinois by County?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum--just started browsing a few weeks ago and just joined today--and I am also new to handguns (growing up in rural Illinois I tended to play around with rifles and shotguns instead). I now live in Arizona, but the rest of my family lives back in Illinois. In any case, in light of the Supreme Court's decision this morning, it got me thinking about how we might be able to go about getting an Open Carry option going in Illinois. The thought occurred to me that whenever I have heard about people trying to loosen gun rights there, it has been on a state level where Chicagoans can shoot it down. Well, that got me thinking and I proceeded to call the County Clerk's Office for my home County back in the Land of Lincoln and Ms. Hartley is working with the Board of Elections to find out what the requirements would be to put forth a petition for Open Carry (or Concealed, possibly) on a County level. If Illinois can cut Chicago out of the loop by doing it by County, it would obviously have some issues when going between counties, potentially, but I think that it might be a good place to start. Thoughts?

Campaign Veteran
    Home rule units have no authority to negate state law. If state law says it is illegal, it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by ilbob View Post
    Home rule units have no authority to negate state law. If state law says it is illegal, it is illegal.
    Ahh, I see. That makes sense I suppose. Sucks though.

from what I understand (again I could have everything bass ackwards here) but the local governments could enact laws and ordinances that were LESS stringent then the state ones, but not MORE restrictive. Like I said though I could have it bass ackwards.....

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    from what I understand (again I could have everything bass ackwards here) but the local governments could enact laws and ordinances that were LESS stringent then the state ones, but not MORE restrictive. Like I said though I could have it bass ackwards.....
    Yes, I think you've got it backwards. Chicago ordinaces on firearms are more stringent that the state law. They can't be less stringent. A community could set their speed limit at 20 mph, but they couldn't set it at 75 as that is higher than allowed by the state. I wish there was the option to open or conceal carry, Southern Illinois would probably adopt it in most counties, judging by a recent poll on support for LTC.

duh! I shoulda realised that before I posted...sorry I knew I had to be wrong somewhere.
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...